Quantcast
is it time for a canadian automaker? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Is it time for a canadian automaker?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, a government sponsored initiative isnt bad

8 24.24%
  • Yeah, someone should step up and start building performance cars

7 21.21%
  • Nah, there are already enough cars out there

14 42.42%
  • Nah, i'm not worried about GM and FORD going under and the plants in Ontario closing

4 12.12%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is it time for a canadian automaker?

My Ride
    SRT

Default is it time for a canadian automaker?

i think so... have a cool truck and a family car with optional hatch and there you go, enough to get things rolling... or, start making high performance cars... i can see high performance stuff coming out of the west, and also i can see it quite attractive to build plants in places like saskatchewan, manitoba and the maritimes; this doesnt even factor in the natural resources needed to make those cars, the engineers, etc etc... what do you think?
    Last edited by riceeater; 10-05-2006 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Return of Bricklin FTW!!!

Honestly I don't think they could compete, the Big 3 are getting smaller every year, someone would have to come out with something out-fucking-standing for a bottom end price to even be in the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

We don't have a protectionist government to start up something like this.

No Canadians patriotic enough to buy strictly Canadian which is how the Asian brands started.

Lots of cars are manufactured in Canada. I'm sure lots of design takes place here too, it's just the head offices that are in other countries.

My Ride
    2005 Civic Sedan

wayne gretzky : ford Built in canada (something like that)

wayne gretzky = biggest sell out!

I doubt they would ever be profitable (with multiple model lines).

It would be sick if there were a few investers that started up a Saleen-esqe company and built an S7 type car on Canadian soil that beared the Canadian flag. Limited run, white, classy looking (like us Canucks) with some power.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 05:14 AM.

My Ride
    SRT

the government doesnt have to be fully involved, after all we are capitalist... just be there to create the proper environment and stimuli to make it attractive to entrepreneurs to pursue this. it doesnt have to be a huge scale project, but if it targets our tastes, i think it could do ok... pretty much every european country has their own cars they make; hell, if 3/4 of their line up is rental and company cars, vans and trucks, that'd be great, go canada go.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: is it time for a canadian automaker?

BTW, we already build for a lot of different name plates. The poll is for having a Canadian name plate car on the road (I think). Like a Bombardier car.

Originally posted by riceeater
    i can see high performance stuff coming out of the west, and also i can see it quite attractive to build plants in places like saskatchewan, manitoba and the maritimes;
    Logistics will prevent major car plants to be open in the mid/mid west region of the continent.

Low production, mid/high cost exotic models in the west in the scale/likeliness of Ariel Atom would be cool.

My Ride
    SRT

look at the UK... ford has their own division, honda does the same, mitsubishi... the ST, the typeR, the evo FQ....basically everyone's cars are done up and upgraded by local engineers...

or small companies like ariel and noble, that are just a bunch of engineers and some welders making kit cars... there are soooo many ways to go, if they would just be creative

My Ride
    Bicycle

the government doesnt have to be fully involved, after all we are capitalist... just be there to create the proper environment and stimuli to make it attractive to entrepreneurs to pursue this. it doesnt have to be a huge scale project, but if it targets our tastes, i think it could do ok... pretty much every european country has their own cars they make; hell, if 3/4 of their line up is rental and company cars, vans and trucks, that'd be great, go canada go.
    The only reason Bombardier is still around is because of the government.

My Ride
    SRT

Default Re: Re: is it time for a canadian automaker?

Originally posted by Xtrema
    BTW, we already build for a lot of different name plates. The poll is for having a Canadian name plate car on the road (I think). Like a Bombardier car.

exactly...

Logistics will prevent major car plants to be open in the mid/mid west region of the continent.

Low production, mid/high cost exotic models in the west in the scale/likeliness of Ariel Atom would be cool.
    ok, so make something more high tech, more high priced, that requires more skilled higher paid labor... that'd be ideal i think

My Ride
    SRT

yeah, but maybe they overstretched themselves into sectors where everything is very very expensive, the contracts are few, and competition fierce... in a way they do need the money, but in lots of ways they have pissed it away i think (though i cant say i know that much about them)

My Ride
    SRT

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Honestly I don't think they could compete, the Big 3 are getting smaller every year, someone would have to come out with something out-fucking-standing for a bottom end price to even be in the market.

well, lets have a good enough management idea, and implement it in a way that we dont let unions destroy us from within

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The big 3 would never allow it. Packard comes to mind.

There isn't a big enough market for Niche cars in Canada. I am pretty sure the Canadian market is smaller than the California market.

My Ride
    SRT

why wouldnt hte big 3 allow it, and why should we care? what are they gonna do, remove themselves from the canadian market? close what few plants they have left?

if we came up with a good enough product, we wouldnt be restricted to only a canadian market, we could export to almost anywhere, since our safety and emisions standards are already pretty high

Originally posted by benyl
    The big 3 would never allow it. Packard comes to mind.

There isn't a big enough market for Niche cars in Canada. I am pretty sure the Canadian market is smaller than the California market.
    bingo.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

why wouldnt hte big 3 allow it, and why should we care? what are they gonna do, remove themselves from the canadian market? close what few plants they have left?

if we came up with a good enough product, we wouldnt be restricted to only a canadian market, we could export to almost anywhere, since our safety and emisions standards are already pretty high
    You have to look at the big picture.

Are you going to manufacture every single nut, bolt and screw? Are you going to cast every part that is necessary? Or are you going to buy from a parts bin from a part manufacturer?

Most likely the later. The big 3 have huge influence on part makers. You will not get a good price on a part to put in your car. What you will end up with is a Kia for the price of a Caddilac in order to be profitable. Even worse, if you make everything else, you will end up with a Kia for the price of a Benz.

Most manufacturers out source everything these days. Perfect example is interiors. A lot of companies use Johnson Controls to design and build their interiors. Johnson Controls will not likely talk to a new Canadian Manufacturer because of the political power the Big 3 and Asian manufacturers hold over them.

That is just the way it is. The auto industry is an oligopoly that seems to be consolidating...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Mass produced mainstream vehicles would be an impossible task. There is always room in the market for a specialized vehicle manufacturer though. Keep working on those cf skills man, would love to see a Canadian made, CF shell, sports car.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    TOPLESS 64 IMPALA /2004 SALEEN S281 SC / 2007 Z06

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast