Quantcast
The Cove - Dolphins man!! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cove - Dolphins man!!

My Ride
    is Turbocharged.

I saw the cove a while back.. definately some sad shit.. and I think something needs to be done.

My Ride
    POS Toyota

For those of you torrenting, I'd recommend maybe purchasing it on itunes or something if you liked it, as this movie tanked commercially.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 10:51 PM.

My Ride
    POS Toyota

Whoa, just watched this. I was so impressed I tossed them $100 on their donation thing on the website, but judging from how organized they were/quality of their video equipment, I don't think they need it lol.

FYI These guys were also the ones that busted the sushi restaurant in the US selling whale meat, which made a story in the NYT.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

BUMP!

Just watched this documentary, and I don't get it.

The dolphins being caught are not endangered. Not even close to it.

Japan sets strict quotas and they are respected by the Japanese fishermen (can't say the same for Chinese, South American over fishing without a care).

Dolphin hunting and consumption has been a 400+ year tradition in Japan.

With all that being said, if we're so concerned about the mercury level in dolphin meat, why aren't we focusing on why there's mercury in dolphins in the first place? Why don't we fix the pollution problem instead? Why are we focusing on a problem that isn't really a problem? Sure slaughtering looks cruel. Go to any slaughter house for other animals, cows, pigs, and it's gross. But pigs aren't cute so it can't play on a viewer's emotions.

Honestly, if Dolphins weren't "cute", nobody would give a shit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by rage2
    BUMP!

Japan sets strict quotas and they are respected by the Japanese fishermen (can't say the same for Chinese, South American over fishing without a care).

With all that being said, if we're so concerned about the mercury level in dolphin meat, why aren't we focusing on why there's mercury in dolphins in the first place? Why don't we fix the pollution problem instead? Why are we focusing on a problem that isn't really a problem? Sure slaughtering looks cruel. Go to any slaughter house for other animals, cows, pigs, and it's gross. But pigs aren't cute so it can't play on a viewer's emotions.

Thank you. If only real problems were fashionable, all these idiots could actually be using their energy and resources for something beneficial.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

BUMP!

It's great to be an armchair analyst...

Pigs are cute. That being said, there's a few other documentaries you should watch that attack the slaughter of the animals you've mentioned above. So, it's not just about the cute factor. If there is nothing wrong with what the Japanese fishermen are doing, then why would they be so against letting the world see it?

Humans have done so much damage to our oceans, and yes, the bigger concern should be pollution. I don't think this group set out to tackle that issue that has so many contributing factors because it's a massive issue. Instead they chose to focus on one practice that is being hidden from the public eye for fear of scrutiny.... why?

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

BUMP!

Dolphins are not cattle, they are not sheep they are'nt even close to dogs. They are by far way more socially developed then any other animal besides humans. They have language. At some point, the moral ethos compels humans not to slaughter intelligent animals.

Its more along the lines "if dolphins were not intelligent no one would give a shit". But I'm glad there are people keeping checks and balances.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 05:32 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by desi112
    Dolphins are not cattle, they are not sheep they are'nt even close to dogs. They are by far way more socially developed then any other animal besides humans. They have language. At some point, the moral ethos compels humans not to slaughter intelligent animals.

Its more along the lines "if dolphins were not intelligent no one would give a shit". But I'm glad there are people keeping checks and balances.
    Pigs are a very intelligent species, and I don't see many of you complaining when eating bacon this morning, or ham tonight at Easter.

OK, so cute is a criteria for not eating an animal. Intelligent as well. What's next?

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that since they've already hunted the striped dolphin to extinction, we should let them do the same to the bottlenose? Should we start hunting bears and cougars for fur again, since they aren't endangered? It's a little disappointing to see this coming from you.
    Striped dolphins that the Japanese hunt are not endangered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_dolphin

In fact, none of the species that the Japanese hunt for food are endangered. The quotas set ensure that the species continue to thrive. There is no reason to overfish Dolphins, the meat isn't expensive, it's been going down in recent years due to lower demand.

You want to see an overfishing problem, look at Sharks and Bluefin Tuna.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Exploded.

I wonder what dolphin sashimi would taste like...

My Ride

Pigs are a very intelligent species, and I don't see many of you complaining when eating bacon this morning, or ham tonight at Easter.

OK, so cute is a criteria for not eating an animal. Intelligent as well. What's next?

In fact, none of the species that the Japanese hunt for food are endangered. The quotas set ensure that the species continue to thrive. There is no reason to overfish Dolphins, the meat isn't expensive, it's been going down in recent years due to lower demand.

You want to see an overfishing problem, look at Sharks and Bluefin Tuna.
    Are you actually implying that pigs have complex social structures like dolphins? Pigs have developed vocal communication? Pigs are close to the intelligence of a dolphin?

If so, and you can prove it, I will bitch about eating bacon also. Rage, you are an against the grain kinda guy, and you seem standup, and I see you like to play devils advocate but seriously, comparing a pig to a dolphin?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Are you actually implying that pigs have complex social structures like dolphins? Pigs have developed vocal communication? Pigs are close to the intelligence of a dolphin?

If so, and you can prove it, I will bitch about eating bacon also. Rage, you are an against the grain kinda guy, and you seem standup, and I see you like to play devils advocate but seriously, comparing a pig to a dolphin?
    Pigs are actually quick learners and very intelligent creatures.

Not really a credible source to cite but it does the job:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pigs

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

It's all the same and I find it funny that you decide what you eat based on it's intelligence. Have you lived on a farm? Do you know what is involved with slaughtering the food that you eat? Do you eat eggs?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

In fact, none of the species that the Japanese hunt for food are endangered. The quotas set ensure that the species continue to thrive. There is no reason to overfish Dolphins, the meat isn't expensive, it's been going down in recent years due to lower
    Well said, nice to see some people think with brains and not emotions.

My Ride

Originally posted by flipstah

Pigs are actually quick learners and very intelligent creatures.

Not really a credible source to cite but it does the job:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/pigs
    Yes, intelligent like a dog, not like a dolphin.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Yes, intelligent like a dog, not like a dolphin.
    So you would be cool with slaughtering dogs for food but not dolphins? What if I capture and breed the dolphins?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yes. Cows have complex social structures as well. Hell, cows are known to show emotion, a human like trait, so maybe add that to your list too.

Pigs communicate vocally with each other as well, their oinks are distinct, and have differing meanings to each other, from warnings to mating.

And yes, you should do some more reading on pigs, because pigs are very intelligent animals.

If intelligence is your criteria, some cultures eat chimpanzees, which are leaps and bounds more intelligent than dolphins. Where are the protests?

You should be a vegan, or you can be a hypocrate and just feel bad for dolphins and continue to eat beef and pork

I'm not playing devil's advocate, I am a stand up guy, but I do call it as I see it, and I don't get the witchhunt on dolphin hunting. I'm just sparking some conversation, and hopefully someone can fill me in on what I'm missing, other than the "cute" factor.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If intelligence is your criteria, some cultures eat chimpanzees, which are leaps and bounds more intelligent than dolphins. Where are the protests?
    Monkey brain. hmmm.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-09-2012 at 10:08 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Monkey brain. hmmm.
    Can I have your monkey paw when you're done? I need me some wishes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast