Quantcast
Bella Vista - Special Assessment - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bella Vista - Special Assessment

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by yobi5888
    So is there any type of insurance would cover this sort of thing?
    Nope.

Not that I've ever come across.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

"We didn't cut corners from a professional standpoint . . . This thing doesn't happen overnight," Sajan said. "I don't blame these people for being upset. I'm upset."

Al Sajan says he doesn't cut conrners from a professional standpoint

http://www.660news.com/news/local/ar...not-paying-gst

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...a-cc44e0f8c70e

but he can definitely cut corners not paying his GST

Al Sajan should be sued (for being a douchebag that probably cut corners big time), we are not stupid, construction projects are pushed with restricted timelines and restricted budget, especially at that time in Calgary; I'm pretty sure not everything was done in accordance to proper construction! human nature someone can fuk up along the way. Take your time do it right and spend an additonal 1MM or do it quick but enough to pass the inspection and save 1MM. Business standpoint I'd pick the savings, just as long as I don't live there!

The city should be sued (my personal contact previously working for the city vouches there are inspectors who shouldn't be qualified for approving such permits, no diss to them but a "former basement renovator "should not be responsible for making these decisions....but at the end of the day who is? all highly qualified individuals are working within the private sector)

then the owners should make the condo board accountable if they weren't keeping up with the required maintenance

Note to self, only time I'll ever buy a condo again is if the builder lives there themselves
    Last edited by Jry_79; 06-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

Originally posted by whiskas

Don't buy condo's built 2003-2009.
    Interesting you say that because my wife and I had an issue with the Point of View Condo's in Prestwick Bay a year ago.

As far as I know the complex was only 5-6 years old(which puts it in the boom) and the foundation was already cracking and all the condo owners were stuck with the repair bill. $3000-$6000 PER UNIT. Thank god we only rented and got out 2 months before the bill was passed to us. I felt bad for our landlord because he had 4 units under his name.

I'm being very wary now purchasing both condo's and houses (mainly CARDEL because of the threads) and the lack of home owner protection in this province.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

Don't buy condos built 2003-2009
    Don't buy Pointe of View condos.
    ---

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yeah, I think Pointe of View condos of *any* timeframe are not usually that well built.

My Ride

^^Yeah, I did some research after we left and that is the general consensus about Point of View.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    Toyota Prius

I had a special assessment last year from Pointe of View.

Bunch of fucking assholes

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by nissanK

Thank god we only rented and got out 2 months before the bill was passed to us.
    If you were renting, how would the special assessment get passed onto you. Wouldn't it be the responsibility of the person who owns the units?

My Ride

^^Yes but if he was not prepared for the special assessment, chances are he would have upped the rent for all his units to recover his costs.

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

We got out of our condo back in 2005 right after the "flood of the century" for similar reasons. We took one look at the extent of the damage to all of our units, the repair bills and the balance of our reserve fund and took a hike. The buyers of our condo bought our place regardless of the damage. (their response was "We're from Pincher Creek. You don't know what flood damage is.... this is nothing.")

They agreed to sign a waiver stating they had read all the paperwork and were aware of the damage to the condo without batting an eye! We had to literally FORCE them to read and interpret the condo documents. When they didn't understand the paperwork we had to teach them how to comprehend the information. They JUST WEREN'T INTERESTED. All they cared about was getting into a home before the prices started rising into outer space.

We even tried to teach them about assessment insurance. They didn't know what it was and they weren't interested to even know.

So then the house-hunting began. The construction quality of new homes was ABSOLUTELY ABYSMAL, no matter where we looked. In the end we got a 35 year old house that was well cared for that suffered NO damage during the flooding. We made damned sure that it was an older construction NOT manufactured during a housing boom.

My Ride
    2002 Trans-Am

I went through this as well. It really sucks. The only thing you can do is take a loan, tack it on your mortgage. Don't bother waste time and money on trying to sue the developer and/or builders. For one thing, the building is 10yrs old. Warranty is over after 5yrs.

It's the condo board's fault for not getting inspections done and dealing with small issues before they turn into larger issues, before the 5yr mark.

I'd never own a condo again for this reason. It maybe be cheaper to live, but in the end you might get stung.

My building was built 1999. Total crap work, it's like high school kids build it. No common sense with water proofing techniques, or they just didn't care.

Originally posted by Jry_79
    The story mentions the city should be sued, as someone that personally knows someone that use to work in the building permit department within city hall...
    Lol yeah every time I hear about the planning department I think of him too.

Makes me really sad to hear this. Then I bitch that we may have a $500.00 Special Assessment at our place for a water bill....
    Last edited by Cos; 06-29-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Don't buy ANYTHING built 2003-2009.
    Houses included, I say.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Don't buy condo's built 2003-2009.
    According to some of the articles I read about this, the condo was finished some time in 2002.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2