Quantcast
Building a PC - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building a PC

he wants to run SWTOR and Diablo 3 not farm bitcoins. He's under his budget and has the option of the portability of a laptop. To some people having a casket, a laptop, a netbook, a tablet and a smartphone is fine. More the merrier. To others it's a world view that defies logic unless you need each device for a task specific that the other device cannot do. Some people can’t comprehend minimalism, I can’t comprehend another box in my room that would run SWTOR just as well as my laptop runs it now.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

The video card in your original setup is a great card. The 6850. Thats what I am running, (gigabyte version). BF3, SWTOR, everything I have plays 1920x1080 high details and thats on an older Core i3.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 12-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to go with the desktop after mulling over my need for portability vs. the convenience of it. The only time I could see myself moving the laptop away from its workstation is when I'd want to watch youtube videos or play offline games while lying in bed. No doubt that laptop looks like a great deal though - if I had the cash to splash I would be getting that + the desktop. My old PC will be going in the trash, it is useless.

Furthermore, I was able to price out a nice desktop system which has a check out price a little ess than the g74 laptop AND I will be getting $125 in mail-in rebates.

Tip for anyone buying from memex online: It seems that using the system configurator on the memex website is not the way to go as it does NOT incorporate discounts or product bundles. Your best bet is to search for each component you need and you will uncover a lot of discounted products or product bundles which will save you lots of money. I'm not sure if memex will acknowledge the discounts you should have received after the fact, if you built through the system configurator.

I thought I'd share what I built.

Core™ i5-2500K Processor Bundle w/ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard & Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kit: $299.00 w/ $10 rebate

Zalman Z9 Plus Case w/ Fan Controller: $29.99 w/ $10 rebate

OCZ ZS Series 650W Performance Power Supply: $34.99 w/ $25 rebate

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA III w/ 32MB Cache : $99.99

eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS SuperClocked 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI: $219.99 after $10 rebate

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) SP1 DVD - OEM: $119.99

Samsung SH-S223L 22x DVD-Writer, SATA w/ Lightscribe Black: $16.99

Intel SSD 320 Series SATA II Solid State Drive, Retail, 120GB: $99.99 after $70 rebate

$1045.93 ---->$920.93 after rebate.

If you were to buy one of those huge ass Asus gaming laptops you would regret it. Laptop gaming is weak.

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to go with the desktop after mulling over my need for portability vs. the convenience of it. The only time I could see myself moving the laptop away from its workstation is when I'd want to watch youtube videos or play offline games while lying in bed. No doubt that laptop looks like a great deal though - if I had the cash to splash I would be getting that + the desktop. My old PC will be going in the trash, it is useless.

Furthermore, I was able to price out a nice desktop system which has a check out price a little ess than the g74 laptop AND I will be getting $125 in mail-in rebates.

Tip for anyone buying from memex online: It seems that using the system configurator on the memex website is not the way to go as it does NOT incorporate discounts or product bundles. Your best bet is to search for each component you need and you will uncover a lot of discounted products or product bundles which will save you lots of money. I'm not sure if memex will acknowledge the discounts you should have received after the fact, if you built through the system configurator.

Core™ i5-2500K Processor Bundle w/ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard & Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kit: $299.00 w/ $10 rebate

eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti DS SuperClocked 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI: $219.99 after $10 rebate

Intel SSD 320 Series SATA II Solid State Drive, Retail, 120GB: $99.99 after $70 rebate

This config is good, although I would get one of these video cards instead:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35404

or

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32151

depending on how much you want to spend.

Default Re: Building a PC

Originally posted by BigMass
    he wants to run SWTOR and Diablo 3 not farm bitcoins. He's under his budget and has the option of the portability of a laptop. To some people having a casket, a laptop, a netbook, a tablet and a smartphone is fine. More the merrier. To others it's a world view that defies logic unless you need each device for a task specific that the other device cannot do. Some people can’t comprehend minimalism, I can’t comprehend another box in my room that would run SWTOR just as well as my laptop runs it now.
    What he said is this:

I built something on the memex website based on what I'm looking for - a system good for gaming, such as running the new SWTOR and future games like Diablo III smoothly, preferably on higher to highest settings.
    I don't know why you would suggest he buy a computer that will not do what he is asking for. The laptop you are suggesting he buys will not play Star Wars The Old Republic at the highest settings at 60FPS.

I run a 2600K overclocked to 4.4GHZ with an overclocked GTX570, my video card will DESTROY the 560M in the laptop you're suggesting and I dip into the mid 70FPS in that exact game. You are suggesting that he buys what you want, which is totally different than what he wants. I'm just not too sure why you're telling him that laptop will do what he's asking when it won't, he's not buying it for you.

Good system, the only thing I'd change is the OCZ power supply, OCZ makes great stuff except for their power supplies. Get the Corsair on sale on the main page.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

Originally posted by gt2871r
    If you were to buy one of those huge ass Asus gaming laptops you would regret it. Laptop gaming is weak.

This config is good, although I would get one of these video cards instead:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35404

or

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32151

depending on how much you want to spend.
    why would you suggest those cards over the one I have? the second one is the same pricepoint (but has a nicer rebate) and the first one seems like a lower model (not trying to come across as someone who thinks more expensive is better).

edit: also, the first video card looks like its made for AMD.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Here is a thread that was discussing laptops and desktops. I was actually 100% convinced beforehand I was getting a laptop but I built my own computer and is in this thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...=&pagenumber=5
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

switched video card to Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX and power supply to Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M

New price:

$1075.93 -----> $935.93 after rebate.

super happy with this setup. way below budget!

any other suggestions before 8am tomorrow morning?
    Last edited by Skyline_Addict; 12-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Onboard audio licks a pile of monkey nut, put a Xonar DX in it if you can- encodes DD/DTS and the positional audio for headphones is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by WhippWhapp; 12-25-2011 at 03:39 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

does my current setup have wi-fi receptors, or do i need to get something for that separately?

why would you suggest those cards over the one I have? the second one is the same pricepoint (but has a nicer rebate) and the first one seems like a lower model (not trying to come across as someone who thinks more expensive is better).

Yeah I just suggested the Gigabyte to save you some money.

The HD6870 isn't much worse than the 560 Ti, yet is nearly half the price. Hell, you could get two of the HD6870 cards for only a little more than the 560 Ti:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4137/a...lack-edition/5

Mixing an Intel CPU and AMD video card isn't taboo or anything, I run an HD5970 with my 2500K.
    Last edited by gt2871r; 12-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Say what? You can run an AMD (Radeon) on an Intel or a Geforce on an AMD, doesn't matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2