Quantcast
Datsun Matsuri 2012 - Be There! May 19-20 weekend in Kelowna - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Datsun Matsuri 2012 - Be There! May 19-20 weekend in Kelowna

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Default Datsun Matsuri 2012 - Be There! May 19-20 weekend in Kelowna

Datsun Matsuri 2012
    May 19-20
    Kelowna BC

I have just posted the details of what I hope will be an amazing May long weekend for Datsun / Nissan enthusiasts from across AB, BC and the NW US (and maybe some diehards from Saskatchewan).

Assuming there are Alberta people attending, I am certain we'll end up in a convoy to get there. Imagine 20-30 Datsuns rolling together through the mountains to Kelowna.

On Saturday, we'll take in the Knox Mountain Hill Climb which is, in itself, completely awesome. If you haven't been to the Hill Climb, you need to go! There are always guys there from Alberta competing so we can cheer them on. As a bonus, there is a car show run in conjunction with the Hill Climb right at the base of the hill and I already have confirmation the Hill Climb organizers are eager to welcome us.

On Sunday, we'll have a huge cruise day. Still nailing down the route but I plan on having it off the main highways as much as possible, some nice twisty mountain roads, some photos of course and a break for lunch. I used to live in Kelowna about 25 years ago so know the area well.

This is going to be awesome! All the info is here: www.myautoproject.com

On a related note, last year, I organized the Alberta All Datsun Meet. I am working on another one of those and will have info posted in another thread soon. I have a write up on that event at www.myautoproject.com as well.
    Last edited by DatsunDave; 03-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

I'm curious about the interest in this event. I see a lot of views so that is a good sign althogh I know there are few Datsun owners here.

I hope there are plans in the works for you to attend if you are inclined.

In a few days, I'll be able to announce a very high profile partner for this event which I know Datsun nuts will be excited to hear.

I have also just completed a draft of the route for the fun run component of the event and it looks awesome. I'll post that information this weekend as well. Things are really coming together so...

Are you in?
    Can you spread the word?

My Ride
    AWOL

Bro-ham-slice, your links don't work! Got a Facebook event?

Weather and hangover permitting, I'll pop out there on my bike.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Link Fixed.

Yes there is a FB event. Search MyAutoProject (no spaces)

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Hmm I have been pretty close to giving up hope on the KMHC car show, if you bring 20 cars you will be easily half the show lol. Maybe I can convince a few local datsun owners I know to attend but it has a bad rep for being a hurting car show.

My Ride
    G37X

I'll be in the area so I'll be checking out the hill climb for sure! Last year was awesome!! Maybe I'll bring my z28 for the cruise

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Originally posted by GTS4tw
    Hmm I have been pretty close to giving up hope on the KMHC car show, if you bring 20 cars you will be easily half the show lol. Maybe I can convince a few local datsun owners I know to attend but it has a bad rep for being a hurting car show.
    The car show really has just been "free parking" for guys with nice cars. I dont think they promote it as a "show" much. That said, the idea this year is to stuff a hundred classic nissans in there and make it "our own". The race is then the backdrop to our Datsun event rather than the other way around.

If you know the local Datsun owners then get them the information. I've been trying to get the word out but personal invites are always best.

Also, the weekend event isn't limited to just the car show. There are other activities as well.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

I am pleased to announce Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) has become an Official Sponsor of Datsun Matsuri 2012.

Read more here http://www.myautoproject.com/brock-r...n-matsuri-2012

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Bump. Just wanted to let people know momentum is starting to build now and this event is really looking like it is going to be outstanding. If you're attending be sure to check the hotel information on the site and book early.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

I've been asked for some more details so here goes...

Think of this event as a car show, within a car show, within a hill climb except there are a bunch of other bells and whistles and activities thrown in to make the car show, within the car show, within the race, a big enough deal to stand on its own.

I live in this little fantasy world called Daveville. In Daveville, the weekend looks like this:

Everyone plans to make this a fun weekend away from home as a great kick off to the summer and car events in general. The married guys make this a family affair and bring their wives and kids. The single guys get together and go out on Saturday night to meet some local Kelowna girls.

People plan to drive together from their respective parts of the world (think massive cruise) for the drive into Kelowna. Portland, Seattle and Greater Vancouver Area people all muster somewhere appropriate (Chilliwack?) before heading east into the Okanagan. The people in Alberta do the same (Calgary?) and head West. People from the interior NW US gather in (spokane?) and head north. You get the idea. Someone in each of these areas takes the lead and get's their convoys organized.

Everyone arrives at the hotel on Friday evening for a meet and greet (it will be held at the Recreation Inn in Kelowna). The parking lot there is enclosed and will be filled from one end to the other with Datsuns.

On Friday night, people check in with me to pick up their registration kit because they pre-registered. In it will be all sorts of goodies from our sponsors, the event schedule, route maps for the cruise on Sunday and their event T-shirt (the initial designs are very cool!) There actually will be four different versions of the T-shirt paying homage to the four main types of vehicles that will be represented at the show (510s, roadsters, Zs, even the classic trucks will be represented). When you get your t-shirt you will be pumped because it is so awesome and "your car" will be on the front.

On Saturday morning, we all head down to the Hill Climb. There are between 100 and 150 of us there! The folks who didn't arrive Friday night will check in with me on Saturday morning to get their registration kits and T-shirt.

The Knox Mountain Hill Climb folks welcome us with open arms and are in awe at the turn out.

Because all the Datsuns arrive at the same time, we are all clustered together rather than being interspersed amoung other cars that arrrive throughout the day.

In each registration kit there will be a ballot exclusive to Datsun Matsuri participants that allows them to cast their votes in a variety of categories for our own internal Datsun Matsuri car show. No one gets worked up about this since this isn't about who has the biggest wallet. Instead, it has the usual categories and a few quirky ones too just to keep it light. Balloting for our own internal Datsun Car show ends at noon with winners to be announced later that evening. If people want to, they can then head off to do some other activities in the area or stick around and enjoy the racing and the show. Of course there is the hill climb to take in (the paddock is open to the public) wine tours if you are into that, golf in the PM, or whatever floats your boat.

Meanwhile, since we are part of the Knox Mountain Hill Climb car show, their People's Choice Balloting is going on and wraps up at the end of the day Saturday - this is open to the general public to vote. For those who choose to stick around for the full day on Saturday, the winners of the KMHC People's Choice Awards will be handed out at the end of the day.

On Saturday evening people can chill, there is a BBQ back at the hotel for supper. Everyone is there, it is a great time and we're announcing the winners of the Datsun Matsuri exclusive balloting. We're also doing the draw for the prizes provided by our sponsors.

On Sunday, we'll do the cruise. There are two loops to accommodate those who want a shorter run and those who want a longer run. On the longer run, we'll stop at this funky little burger stand in Enderby and fill their parking lot with Datsun. Along the way we'll stop for one of the best cruise photos anyone has ever seen with 100+ Datsuns in the foreground and the beautiful valley and Mountains in the background. Of course, everyone is cooperating and we don't spend hours getting the shot.

On Monday, everyone will head home thinking about how this was the most fun they had at a car event and they can't wait for 2013.

So, that is Daveville. Of course everyone is free to decide whatever it is they want to do.

As you can tell, I have tried to design this so people can chose to participate for as little as four hours all the way up to a couple of days.

I am just putting some final touches on pricing for the t-shirts and firming up a couple of other sponsors and then formal registration will be announced.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

MyAutoProject.com is pleased to announce Wolf Creek Racing has joined Datsun Matsuri 2012 as an official sponsor.
    Wolf Creek Racing is the national distributor of Mikuni automotive sidedraft carburetors and parts and is also the manufacturer of CV axle kits for Datsun 510s and Z-cars.

For more on Wolf Creek Racing's sponsorship of the event and what is available to event participants, go here

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

MyAutoProject.com announces Sports Imports Joins Datsun Matsuri 2012 as Official Sponsor!

Sports Imports is providing a fantastic prize package for lucky participants. Multiple winners from our random draw will take home either floor pans, lower fender patch panels, rocker panels or lower quarter / rocker extension patch panels.

Click for more info http://www.myautoproject.com/sports-...icial-sponsor/

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Hey everyone, I am super excited about this update.

I just posted the Datsun Matsuri 2012 Event T-Shirt design http://www.myautoproject.com/datsun-...design-update/

There'll be one for the roadster, Z, 510 and even one for the truck guys.

Let me know what you think.

Registration opens this weekend

By the way, a few people who can't come to the event have asked me for a t-shirt. If you want one, let me know.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Alright everyone, the time has come. After a lot of work on sponsorships, T-shirt designs, registration systems, web sites and so on... REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!! Woohoo.

Registration is 20 bucks if you get on it and register now. I really don't want to charge a higher fee if you register late but there are lots of preparations to take care of so the sooner people register the easier it is for me and our sponsors.

http://www.myautoproject.com/datsun-...-registration/

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Another update for those of you who may not have noticed it on the site yesterday with the launch of registration, the "Twisties Tour" component of the event has been confirmed. We've got a couple of wonderful routes for participants to choose from. They are off the beaten path, are fantastic for little sports cars, and have incredible vistas (but keep your eyes on the road).

I've designed these to allow the full group to enjoy the first leg of the drive together on Westside Road (west side of Lake Okanagan). From there, those who want just a short run can return to Kelowna along the east side of Lake Okanagan. Those wanting a little bit of a longer run and some different scenery will continue up through ranch country for more fun and a lunch stop before heading back.

To get a sense of the routes, you can click on the google map links that are included in the write up and then look at the street view.

Here is the announcement: http://www.myautoproject.com/datsun-...tes-confirmed/

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Hey everyone,

This is really getting good. I have another sponsor to announce.

Z Therapy Induction Systems has joined us and is offering a great prize package for the event. Anyone with SU carbs will really like these prizes.

http://www.myautoproject.com/z-thera...-matsuri-2012/

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Registration Update

Well, things are looking really good. With only 4 days since opening up registration here's where were at:

Total of 17 owners / cars registered
    8 from Alberta
    7 from BC
    2 from Washington

Vehicles mix:
    7 Roadsters
    3 510s
    3 Zs
    3 ZXs
    1 520 truck

About 30 emails inquiring with "promises" of registering soon.

So, we're looking good after just 4 days.

If you're planning on attending, please register early and book your accommodations early as well. http://www.myautoproject.com/datsun-...-registration/

Let me know if you have any questions.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Some people have contacted me about a T-shirt for the event but are unable to attend.

To avoid taking orders for t-shirts and dealing with the hassle of collecting payment, delivery, etc., I setup one of those on-line, print-on-demand shops so if you want one of these you can order whever you like and have it delivered direct.

I uploaded all of the Datsun Matsuri 2012 event designs. I also uploaded a generic version (if you don't want the event date, etc., on the T-shirt).

Here is the link http://myautoproject.wordans.com/t-s...-shirts-10495. The navigation is goofy so if you want to look at all the items you have to dance between the menu on the left and the menu on the right (sigh).

There are T-shirts, posters, iphone skins, etc.

A word about pricing; it isn't cheap. The base price (my cost) is really high with these print-on-demand shops which leaves very little room for a reasonable mark up. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible. For example, I make a maximum of $5 on a t-shirt (some of the ladies stuff is like $3.08). I am hoping that I can sell enough items to cover the cost of having the artwork done but that is like 100+ shirts. Anyway, my point is...sorry that these are a little spendy.
    Last edited by DatsunDave; 04-15-2012 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Hey guys,

I am really trying to figure out more ways to promote this event so it has occured to me to reach out to Nissan specialty shops across the area from where we'll draw participants.

If you know of any, please let me know (post is fine) and I'll contact them.

For example, like them or not, Sumaru's Auto Repair where I live is known as a shop that specializes in Nissans (the former owner races a 240Z GT car).

So, any similar shops you can think of in your area?

My Ride
    69 Datsun 2000

Hey everyone,

Registration is coming along nicely but I do know that, based on the discussions on the various forums where I've posted this, many are taking a wait and see approach before registering. I can appreciate that.

That said, I thought I would share with those of you thinking of coming, why advance registration is important vs just showing up or deciding last minute to attend, so, if you do intend to come, you may consider registering right away vs waiting.

Registration helps me with the following:

• Most importantly, I need to inform the sponsors of the number of participants I'm expecting so they can ship a sufficient quantity of give away items for registered participants. My deadline is supposed to be May 1st. Of course there will be people who can't register early but if most do, then I can take an educated guess at the final attendance numbers.
    • I need to produce print materials for the participants (ballots, entries for the sponsor supplied prizes, ID cards for cars for the car show, route maps, etc, etc.)
    • I have to inform the Knox Mountain Hill Climb organizers of how many people I am expecting so they can accommodate a reserved space for us at the show.
    • I need to give the folks at the Sunday cruise lunch stop location an estimate of the number of people to expect for lunch.

So, this is really coming together but I do ask for those of you who are coming to please register soon.

Oh ya, and the block of rooms at the hotel are currenly only being held until April 21st. I may be able to negotiate a longer hold but no guarantee.

Hope to see you all there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast