Quantcast
MoP release + GW2 release...uh oh - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: MoP release + GW2 release...uh oh

Default MoP release + GW2 release...uh oh

Well now that MoP release has been announced, which works great for me since I got screwed on vacation this year at work, my week off is that same week! As much as I would like to try out GW2, it's going to be hard with MoP coming out the following month. Anyone else somewhat looking forward to the new xpac?

I followed GW2 for a while, but the more I think about it, WoW I know will take up more of my gaming time and lately it's too much to play more than one mmo. Has anyone got some decent time into GW2 beta yet? Thoughts vs MoP? Seems like a big difference in the two.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I have played in the GW2 beta. I honestly think it's amazing, and it does have a very different approach to the entire MMO thing that I think makes it far more interesting and playable (to me) than WoW.

Here's a good video comparing the two from a relatively objective point of view:

Also, there is no problem with playing both WoW and GW2, because you don't pay a sub for GW2
    Geek

Yea the no sub is nice, just not sure if I buy it that I would ever play it much, but who knows. It does look great, and I have heard good things. Don't know if you know this but, I read that blizzard will release MoP download early, so that on release you can just load up and go? That would be great, I remember when BC came up it was craziness.

I'm done with WoW. Cataclysm was retarded and pretty well killed my guild.

Only reason why I have a subscription is because I bought the year for D3 for free.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Skrilla:

I bought two Guild Wars collectors editions (Original release and Nightfall release). To this day, I still hop in, bash out a few quests, catch up with long term people on my friends list, play a couple rounds of PvP and then log off. It's so awesomely casual, yet can be incredibly hardcore. Hence why I am so excited to play GW2 on release (well, I'll be playing August 25 >_> )
    Geek

Guild wars 2 will not kill WoW... nothing will except blizzard themselves.

IMHO, WoW died at the end of WOTLK , the main Warcraft story (Arthas) ended with WOTLK and Deathwing was thrust upon everybody to try and fill the role of the "big baddy!!!!" but realistically, while there was lore about him from a BIT of warcraft 2 and the novels, it wasn't enough to keep people interested.

GW2 is a different game entirely , while still same genre (fantasy mmorpg).

People will pick their sides and play what they want. I played literally, MAYBE 1.5 months of Cata and I gave up on WoW. To me , personally, the game is over. I look forward to GW2.

MoP had a lot of users angry at the content (kung fu fucking panda... yes I'm aware they were in WC3... but they aren't enough to hold an entire expansion).
    Last edited by 403Gemini; 07-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I gave up on Cata and WoW exactly 1 month to the day after Cata released. I went to EvE for a few months, then Rift, then SWTOR, then TERA before my account got buggered up, and I'm now testing PS2 and looking forward to playing PS2 and GW2 side by side, without paying a cent of sub fees
    Geek

I do agree 100% they are two very different games. I don't really know jack **** about lore, and what not, so I can't really comment on that My favuorite expansion was still TBC, but I am looking forward to a few changes coming in MoP. I will probably end up pre ordering GW2, because it seems like a game you don't have to kill yourself over to stay on top on content.

Either way, should be a good fall for games

My Ride
    05 Honda 954RR, 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Yea, I am really big in MMO's and for some reason their lore... I will be buying MOP when its out but I am frankly not into a huge rush on that one... Ill play it because warlocks are finally getting some serious loving. BUT it will be secondary to GW2 I like the concept of the game, the mechanics and glasses available.
    My one concern will be the end game element with only 5 in a team...

PVP will be badass though. Especially with the last stand mechanic after you die and the big FU finishers.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

Mop looks a lot better than Cata.

Cata was too hard for non hardcore peeps at the start which killed a lot of their subscriptions.

They are trying to find a balance. Im in it for hte new bossses and Pokemon!

I have 5 geared 85s with nothing to do righ tnow

Originally posted by Wakalimasu
    Mop looks a lot better than Cata.

Cata was too hard for non hardcore peeps at the start which killed a lot of their subscriptions.

They are trying to find a balance. Im in it for hte new bossses and Pokemon!

I have 5 geared 85s with nothing to do righ tnow
    Cata was "too hard" ? Maybe for people who started playing in WOTLK but I played since Launch and found it pretty simple. When we went into Blackwing descent and cleared the first two bosses with little trouble then descended down the elevator only to be greeted by the familiar doughnut layout that ICC was, I knew Blizzard was phoning in the expansion pack.

I did renew my subscription when Firelands but promptly got discouraged when we made it to Rag on the first week.

TBC, that was a real expansion. Difficult raids, needed progression, nothing was spoon fed. Rep grinding to learn bosses in regular dungeons to buy keys to unlock the heroics which you would need to grind more to get welfare purples, but this taught you what you were stepping into with Karazhan and those bosses familiarity tactics carried over to SSC , The Eye, and of course Black Temple.

What REALLY bugged me about ICC , and seemed to carry over to Cata, is they took the grand exploration of these giant buildings/raids away. MC was amazing when stepping into this firey cavern, you felt like you were a step away from hell.

The black temple was fucking amazing on how huge it was. From sneaking into the sewers through a crack in the wall and battling your way to the top of a tower to fight the last boss... awesome.

ICC - you clear the main level, go up an elevator, fight another boss and then ride a fucking zepplin to the top. What horse shit is that? Why didn't they just fly to the very top and drop us off at the throne? Repeated textures gave them same feel throughout all of ICC whereas Black Temple felt VERY different when you were fighting Naj in the sewers, to the courtyard battle of Supremus, to the dark haunting fight of the Reliquary, to the final battle of Illidan. Everything was unique.

Then there is ICC - Festergut / Rotface ... *sigh*

I'm not even going to talk about how much of a slap in the face the Coliseum was. The last great instance Blizzard made as far as I'm concerned was Ulduar

Maybe it's cause I've given up hope on the franchise and haven't even looked at MoP at all (other than rolling my eyes at the streamlined "talent trees" ) , but the game doesn't seem impressive enough to appeal to those who already quit.
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

403: You forgot the greatest raid of all: Sunwell Plateau, in TBC, when it first released. There was nothing as difficult anywhere in gaming. When I was part of the fight that killed Kil'Jaeden #42 in the world, our vent did not stop screaming for 30 or so minutes.

These days, watch a hard-mode boss fight kill and there are a couple of cheers, then people asking if they can go to bed

Ulduar, as you said, was the last instance that really felt grand, difficult, and made you feel awesome when you beat a hard fight (Mimiron Firefighter HM 25 = chaos theory o_o). Plus, Yogg Saron had the best maniacal laugh in all WoW.

Then Cata hit, and I lasted all of a month before doing a "what is this shit?!?" and left. I haven't been back since. Not even for firelands
    Geek

I never got to witness Sunwell in it's glory (in TBC... I did it as a fully geared 80 and you get to see the layout but you don't get to experience the full challenge).

But even as a fully geared level 80 with ICC hardmode epics, some of the bosses mechanics did prove a bit of a challenge... could only imagine doing it while level 70.

Also I miss world bosses. Having an alt parked somewhere logging on every now and again to see if the boss spawned.

I mean who didn't miss this

My Ride

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Cata was "too hard" ? Maybe for people who started playing in WOTLK but I played since Launch and found it pretty simple. When we went into Blackwing descent and cleared the first two bosses with little trouble then descended down the elevator only to be greeted by the familiar doughnut layout that ICC was, I knew Blizzard was phoning in the expansion pack.

I did renew my subscription when Firelands but promptly got discouraged when we made it to Rag on the first week.

TBC, that was a real expansion. Difficult raids, needed progression, nothing was spoon fed. Rep grinding to learn bosses in regular dungeons to buy keys to unlock the heroics which you would need to grind more to get welfare purples, but this taught you what you were stepping into with Karazhan and those bosses familiarity tactics carried over to SSC , The Eye, and of course Black Temple.

What REALLY bugged me about ICC , and seemed to carry over to Cata, is they took the grand exploration of these giant buildings/raids away. MC was amazing when stepping into this firey cavern, you felt like you were a step away from hell.

The black temple was fucking amazing on how huge it was. From sneaking into the sewers through a crack in the wall and battling your way to the top of a tower to fight the last boss... awesome.

ICC - you clear the main level, go up an elevator, fight another boss and then ride a fucking zepplin to the top. What horse shit is that? Why didn't they just fly to the very top and drop us off at the throne? Repeated textures gave them same feel throughout all of ICC whereas Black Temple felt VERY different when you were fighting Naj in the sewers, to the courtyard battle of Supremus, to the dark haunting fight of the Reliquary, to the final battle of Illidan. Everything was unique.

Then there is ICC - Festergut / Rotface ... *sigh*

I'm not even going to talk about how much of a slap in the face the Coliseum was. The last great instance Blizzard made as far as I'm concerned was Ulduar

Maybe it's cause I've given up hope on the franchise and haven't even looked at MoP at all (other than rolling my eyes at the streamlined "talent trees" ) , but the game doesn't seem impressive enough to appeal to those who already quit.

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    403: You forgot the greatest raid of all: Sunwell Plateau, in TBC, when it first released. There was nothing as difficult anywhere in gaming. When I was part of the fight that killed Kil'Jaeden #42 in the world, our vent did not stop screaming for 30 or so minutes.

These days, watch a hard-mode boss fight kill and there are a couple of cheers, then people asking if they can go to bed

Ulduar, as you said, was the last instance that really felt grand, difficult, and made you feel awesome when you beat a hard fight (Mimiron Firefighter HM 25 = chaos theory o_o). Plus, Yogg Saron had the best maniacal laugh in all WoW.

Then Cata hit, and I lasted all of a month before doing a "what is this shit?!?" and left. I haven't been back since. Not even for firelands
    Couldn't agree more with you two, I have been playing wow as my solution to boredom up in Fortmac since seeing a 60 with 2 epics was something you told your friends to ride over in Org to check out.

Blizzard is highly appealing to the spoon fed generation for the last two expansions, and lets face it, its in Blizzards interest to do it, they are the majority by far.

If you want to see what you can expect from classes/zones in Pandaland, check out
    TGN Warcraft, Ill buy panda land sooner or later after release because I have several friends in it. But realistically what I am waiting for is GW2 and I truly hope it lives up to the expectations I have for it...

Again my only fear for GW2 is that the end game progression will be weak sauce (5mans), as it stands playing in the beta's, this is the only thing I haven't had a chance to witness and am really scared that will break the game.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

This sums up pretty nicely how I feel about 5 man only content in GW2

I was actually a BIG fan of this when LOTRO came out and most of its contents was done with a single group. It's nice knowing you can play with a tight knit group and the accomplishments you achieve feel that much more rewarding.

The world events seem like a lot of fun and seems like they put in A LOT of effort of big bosses everywhere.

I mean who doesn't want to just run around doing some quests and seeing a giant zombie dragon emerge and fighting it?

Last edited by 403Gemini; 07-30-2012 at 05:14 PM.

My Ride

Yea, Ive been really enjoying the world events, especially for leveling, its kinda of hectic, most quests you don't even finish because some event or another takes you into an entirely different place LOL, but that makes it dynamic and I believe that's really important.
    My fear on the end game whoever is that they front loaded the game too heavily so by the time you get to end game, you've kinda seen it all already and there is nothing more they can throw at you.

Also... the particle effects from all the vast amounts of ground aoes and effects.... that needs to be dial'ed down real bad.
    Last edited by reborn_euro; 07-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Yogg 0 was fun
    Geek

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

Originally posted by Vagabond142

Yogg 0 was fun
    My Mage haz the yogg0 10 man trinket!! Back @ l80

Too bad my warrior doesn't. With 2x gurth

Tentacle city!

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S

Originally posted by Wakalimasu

My Mage haz the yogg0 10 man trinket!! Back @ l80

Too bad my warrior doesn't. With 2x gurth

Tentacle city!
    2x Gurth doesn't matter. It's the same spell ID. At least, for the same iLvl ones that's true. Not 100% sure if it works with different iLvl ones.

My prime with that game was back in TBC. Pre-nerf Kael, Vashj, Black Temple when Gurtogg was a major brick wall in initial progression, Pre-nerf M'uru... That stuff was difficult AND exciting! It just isn't the same anymore. Really loved Ulduar, though. They did great things with that instance. I was pretty sure nothing else good would happen after TBC ended, so I was glad to see Ulduar. Haven't really played since a few weeks into ICC until recently. Gonna give this MoP thing a bit of a casual go while I continue my search for another game that really captivates my attention like WoW initially did.

My Ride

So a of watching some final beta weekend reviews alittle more... it seems GW2 has its "blizzard store" build right into the interface window of the game. So far looks alright as almost everything is cosmetic clothing and some temporary buffs to xp and shit like that... might piss off the "world first max level guys" but other then that I am happy, cant find any form of buying power in this.
    reborn_euro (08)

~~~~RIP~~~~

EuRo_Reborn (07)
    euro.roma (05)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast