Quantcast
Microsurfacing (was Rubber Asphalt roads) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Microsurfacing (was Rubber Asphalt roads)

Default Microsurfacing (was Rubber Asphalt roads)

Noticed signs up on Macleod Trail in the deep south regarding a asphalt rubber trial from 162nd to 194th Avenues (2 miles) and was wondering if any Beyond members know more about this project. All I know is that it's considerably rougher and noisier to drive on - almost to the point of being annoying and even to the point that the much older pavement on either side of this sections is preferable to drive on.

Now it very well may be that the signs are quite old and I've never noticed them before but the fact remains that this most recent repave on that stretch isn't great - be it rubber asphalt or not.
    Last edited by speedog; 09-25-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Default Re: Rubber Asphalt roads

Originally posted by speedog
    Noticed signs up on Macleod Trail in the deep south regarding a asphalt rubber trial from 162nd to 194th Avenues (2 miles) and was wondering if any Beyond members know more about this project. All I know is that it's considerably rougher and noisier to drive on - almost to the point of being annoying and even to the point that the much older pavement on either side of this sections is preferable to drive on.

Now it very well may be that the signs are quite old and I've never noticed them before but the fact remains that this most recent repave on that stretch isn't great - be it rubber asphalt or not.
    Is that what it is? Fuck. I hate that stuff, it's terrible. I figured the contractor just screwed up or something.

What's the benefit? Unless it's curing Red Panda AIDS I'm gonna have a hard time saying it's worth the brutal noise.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Default Re: Re: Rubber Asphalt roads

Originally posted by Mibz
    Unless it's curing Red Panda AIDS I'm gonna have a hard time saying it's worth the brutal noise.
    lol!

Now I want to go check it out just to see how bad it is. My tires have strange per-block wear on them already and are causing quite a roar, so I wanna see how bad it can get...

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I thought it's supposed to reduce road noise.

Don't take my hyperbole seriously, haha. It's not like it sounds like a blender on puree, but it's very noticeable. If Deerfoot were paved entirely with this stuff it would drive me nuts.

Well, come snooping on Google Maps (link) has revealed that whatever was down before this repave project was the asphalt rubber test - Google pic was dated August 2012.

So then, what's up with this latest repave because it seriously blows. A search of the city's web site (link) reveals that something called microsurfacing was done in this section - appears that 18th Street SE has also had this microsurfacing pavement process applied to it and that it's grip is very high (link) compared to other paving methods. The noise and roughness though - that leaves something to be desired IMHO..

Article detailing microsurfacing - link.
    Will fuck off, again.

Well I suppose it makes sense that whatever provides more grip and less hydroplaning is likely gonna be rough and cause a bunch of noise.

Not sure why that stretch of road got it though, I don't think I've actually ever seen a collision on there. It's arguably the safest road in Calgary, up until the Safety Camera at 162nd :P

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

They did a different rubber trial on S bound Crowchild years ago. It was crazy quiet when new, but from what I recall fell apart pretty quick.

Well I suppose it makes sense that whatever provides more grip and less hydroplaning is likely gonna be rough and cause a bunch of noise.

Not sure why that stretch of road got it though, I don't think I've actually ever seen a collision on there. It's arguably the safest road in Calgary, up until the Safety Camera at 162nd :P
    I remember 2 Hitchhiker's were killed Southbound about 8-10 years ago and Tschetter wiped out that car northbound a few years ago.

Originally posted by Nitro5
    I remember 2 Hitchhiker's were killed Southbound about 8-10 years ago and Tschetter wiped out that car northbound a few years ago.
    Yeah but do you think the quality of the pavement was in any way even remotely responsible for those two noted incidents?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

If their testing a new road surface, why would you want them testing it in a high collision location?

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    If their testing a new road surface, why would you want them testing it in a high collision location?
    If I recall correctly, the new section starts right after the 162nd Avenue intersection, not in it and ends just before the 194th Avenue intersection meaning there's no actual at-grade intersections in this microsurfaced stretch - it's pretty much a straight section of roadway.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by speedog

If I recall correctly, the new section starts right after the 162nd Avenue intersection, not in it and ends just before the 194th Avenue intersection meaning there's no actual at-grade intersections in this microsurfaced stretch - it's pretty much a straight section of roadway.
    That was pretty much my exact point.

My point is that how do you test the improved traction of a new surface on a road with no collisions? Haha, that said, I have no legit answer to your question either.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

By the looks and feel of the road surface, my guess is that it's supposed to have better winter traction. I drive that stretch daily and it's a bit louder but nothing I noticed. Strangely I can FEEL the difference and it's definitely coarser, hence my guess to increased winter traction.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    something green

Speaking of this stretch of road.... At the new intersection on Mcleod south, iirc 210 ave, its been in construction for nearly a 1.5 years... They have it marked down to 60 km's then last week it went back up to 80..
    Then this morning, South bound was 80 km, North bound had the old 60 km signs that were covered up a week ago, uncovered and a photo radar van was there. Nice how they do that, get every use to going back up to 80 km/hr then uncover the old sign and make nothing but money off of people not noticing the sign change since the 80 km signs are still visible right before the newly uncovered 60..
    If its such a fucking safety hazard, don't let the construction drag on for 1.5 years and get the damn intersection finished.. Interesting how the city can take a 110 km/hr roadway, make it 80 and call it an upgrade anyway.
    Too loud for Aspen

Problem is that when it was a 110kph highway, there were probably quite a few less soccer moms and parents driving their kids to/from school on it. But add an intersection into the new community of Legacy and before long, you'll have multitudes of these more out of touch drivers on what will quickly become a much busier piece of roadway.

Yeah, the vehicles are capable of 110kph but there are just more drivers that aren't and thus why the speed gets knocked back - hell, I know I can do 110kph from 162nd to 210th quite easily but there are getting to be more and more drivers in that section who are doing too much shit in their vehicles besides driving them or who just aren't comfortable at 110kph. Sucks but that is the reality of the situation.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    something green

The reality is everyone basically does 100-110 km/hr through there anyway..
    Too loud for Aspen