Quantcast
CPS dodging responsibility for breaking traffic laws - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CPS dodging responsibility for breaking traffic laws

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by killramos

Paramedics and firefighters don't have the widespread nature of the problem but sure. Fire truck driver caught speeding or running a light when not on route to an emergency they definitely should be paying their firms and treated like any other driver.
    Your comment made it sound like you wanted every instance of red light violation or speeding to go to court and have them decide. You also can't use the word "emergency" since it is not applicable at all to the situations being discussed.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Doesn't surprise me at all. Nothing will change

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Photographs of CPS vehicles speeding or running red lights are automatically filtered into an internal disciplinary system for review. Once there, tickets are seldom issued, even when officers admit to their supervisors that they have no good reason to break the law. “I would suggest that probably our internal process is more robust and has more implications than anything the public would get,” said Brookwell.
    That's some robust internal process. What's the internal disciplinary action? Not being greeted by the colleagues for two days?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by FraserB

Your comment made it sound like you wanted every instance of red light violation or speeding to go to court and have them decide. You also can't use the word "emergency" since it is not applicable at all to the situations being discussed.
    No of course not. They can always just pay the fine or talk to the justice of the peace . LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

You seem to think its 100% OK for any Fire, Police, or Ambulance driver to ignore any and all traffic laws they see fit so long as they are on the clock.

I do not agree with that position.

It would be must easier and more effective to do my job if i could get to site twice as fast. Maybe when I'm in a company truck i should be exempt for speeding laws?

Emergencies are the circumstance in which they are allowed to violate the law. There is no reason why an officer needs to drive 20 over the speed limit while patrolling a neighborhood.

Maybe that's not how the law is written, i don't really care. It is the spirit of the exemption.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Wow. I wouldn't wipe my butt with the paper that article is written on. I cannot believe how much outright lying by omission, word smithing, and spin doctoring there is in that. It's so factually incorrect I don't even know where to begin.

I would correct this but you guys have your minds made up, and it wouldn't matter even if you didn't - I'm part of the conspiracy, the vast machine that protects police in this country. Brutal. Another conviction in the court of public opinion, before the facts are even presented!

What a joke. Even when we are doing our jobs right, we still aren't doing them in a way that people approve of, therefore, it's the wrong way. This kind of trash "investigative reporting" absolutely angers me, and the fact that you guys are reacting this way is astonishing. No benefit of the doubt, no consideration for what might actually be happening and how we do our jobs. Good to see you have faith in your police.

I'm outta here.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by phil98z24
    Wow. I wouldn't wipe my butt with the paper that article is written on. I cannot believe how much outright lying by omission, word smithing, and spin doctoring there is in that. It's so factually incorrect I don't even know where to begin.

I would correct this but you guys have your minds made up, and it wouldn't matter even if you didn't - I'm part of the conspiracy, the vast machine that protects police in this country. Brutal. Another conviction in the court of public opinion, before the facts are even presented!

What a joke. Even when we are doing our jobs right, we still aren't doing them in a way that people approve of, therefore, it's the wrong way. This kind of trash "investigative reporting" absolutely angers me, and the fact that you guys are reacting this way is astonishing. No benefit of the doubt, no consideration for what might actually be happening and how we do our jobs. Good to see you have faith in your police.

I'm outta here.
    Peace Phil, I'm not even criticizing the officers in this situation. Rather the framework, that as presented, indicates in many cases officers have been able to get away with traffic violations while in their jobs in circumstances that indicated their own wrongdoing.

How else can the general public know how the system works interally aside from freedom of information requests?

My point was by and large police officers, while working and driving a police car. Should have to abide by the TSA like everyone else except when an emergency situation requires that they violate the law. And that if a police officer is caught violating the law without having a good reason not only should they be responsible for paying the fine but should be reprimanded like any other professional driver.

If you are saying that's how it actually works then that's great.

It is jut extremely suspect that these tickets get thrown out or not issued without having to go through appropriate legal proceedings. A judge is who should decide if a violation was justified. Not an internal review.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

You seem to think its 100% OK for any Fire, Police, or Ambulance driver to ignore any and all traffic laws they see fit so long as they are on the clock.
    Its Paramedic, jerk

And we don't ignore traffic laws, we are stretched thin like anyone else, and get complaints about how long it takes Ambulances to arrive at calls, so at times it happens that we, like you, may speed a little to help out. Its not like we're a Cable company truck, or a UPS man, this is human lives we are talking about (that goes for all 3, EMS, CPS, and CFD). You make it sound like all we do is drive balls to the wall, run stops, park in handicap spots, etc. Unless you know what the duties are in the "execution of our duties", I find it hard to see relevance in your concern.
    Last edited by TurboMedic; 03-25-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Is it far-fetched to consider that getting away with misdemeanors is a perk of the job? We've all heard stories of off-duty officers getting out of speeding tickets, even a DUI, because they're one of the boys.

When you hear stories of officers whistleblowing and speaking up, and then the rest of the force neglecting to supply them with backup, it's not an encouraging thought to entertain:

As a legitimate question phil98z24, coming from someone who is NOT a cop-basher (I have family and friends on the force) - does this culture exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

Rookie Cop takes heat for arresting off duty officer (Canada)

Baltimore Police Whistleblower

Former Edmonton Cop whistleblower
    Last edited by zipdoa; 03-25-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by frizzlefry

So does a ghost car riding my ass to get me to speed up count as executing duties? 3 times I have had my ass ridden by a ghost truck on deerfoot. Close enough that I can make out the flashers in his grill. They do it for about 30 seconds then move onto someone else. Last time it happened the ghost truck moved on, rode some other guys ass, he sped up, got pulled over. Now maybe they are just riding ass to get a close view of the plates so they can run them? I dunno.
    They do that intentionally to get you to speed up then pull you over. Happened to me once but never got the ticket.

Anyways, back on topic... All I'm going to say is what my friend said after we watched 2 RCMP cruisers drag race on Geatz Ave southbound in Red Deer a few years ago... "They're the law! They can do whatever they want!"
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by TurboMedic

Its Paramedic, jerk

And we don't ignore traffic laws, we are stretched thin like anyone else, and get complaints about how long it takes Ambulances to arrive at calls, so at times it happens that we, like you, may speed a little to help out. Its not like we're a Cable company truck, or a UPS man, this is human lives we are talking about (that goes for all 3, EMS, CPS, and CFD). You make it sound like all we do is drive balls to the wall, run stops, park in handicap spots, etc. Unless you know what the duties are in the "execution of our duties", I find it hard to see relevance in your concern.
    I don't think you do that at all. I was criticizing FraserB's take on how the law is written. About how so long as they are working they can ignore the TSA.

Now I do think there are occasional abuses that have nothing to do with performing their job more effectively and in those cases the emergency services personnel should be held accountable. Just like anyone else who drives a vehicle in the course of their employment.

fact.

How is this news?!

More better use is track taxi and transit infractions.

I find it amusing seeing CPS in their marked police cruisers run a red light and then turn into the parking lot of Tim Hortons to meet up with their coworkers inside. Not sure if they don't think anyone will question or not notice their actions on the street.
    asdf

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I don't think you do that at all. I was criticizing FraserB's take on how the law is written. About how so long as they are working they can ignore the TSA.

Now I do think there are occasional abuses that have nothing to do with performing their job more effectively and in those cases the emergency services personnel should be held accountable. Just like anyone else who drives a vehicle in the course of their employment.
    My interpretation is not that they can break the TSA whenever they are working and the law isn't written that way either. People need to understand the difference between "execution of duties" and "emergency", which are two very different things.

My take is that if they can justify breaking the TSA during the execution of their duties, then it is acceptable. The fact that CPS members are getting tickets for violations is proof that there is a system in place to audit whatever violations do occur and those that are not justified are dealt with. I'd be willing to bet that the internal ramifications are worse than having to deal with a speeding ticket.
    Last edited by FraserB; 03-25-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

old but feel its relevant here and always good for a chuckle.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/01/21...to-tim-hortons

I think its issues like this that really hurt police agencies images. They are caught red handed and the whole thing is brushed off.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    So does a ghost car riding my ass to get me to speed up count as executing duties? 3 times I have had my ass ridden by a ghost truck on deerfoot. Close enough that I can make out the flashers in his grill. They do it for about 30 seconds then move onto someone else.
    Slam brakes because you "saw a cat".

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by jwslam

I have considered brake checking them but I'm in a rather rare A3 3.2. An Audi branded R32 with only 60k on the ODO. Wouldn't be able to replace it. They are in a truck that is not their property. It would hurt me more than them if I got rear ended. I just white knuckle it until they piss off.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 03-25-2015 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by jwslam

Right. Then get the shit kicked out of you because they "saw a weapon".

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Im an idiot and dont read... (=
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 03-26-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast