Quantcast
Driven 2016 Beyond Booth: ROLL CALL - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Driven 2016 Beyond Booth: ROLL CALL

My Ride
    Mk6 GTi

I was surprised our bike judges didn't recognize the mv. I think we actually need to bring another couple judges to help share the load. We've doubled the cars but only added one extra judge over the years. Makes it very tough to give all the cars, bikes, trucks a fair crack.

My Ride
    91 GT-R, 09 A4

Originally posted by gregrego
    I was surprised our bike judges didn't recognize the mv. I think we actually need to bring another couple judges to help share the load. We've doubled the cars but only added one extra judge over the years. Makes it very tough to give all the cars, bikes, trucks a fair crack.
    The Bike judge did notice and recognize the bike at its value. The difference between it and the bike that won was the fact that the winner had Spec sheets and 1/4MI slips posted with the bike. Believe me when I say that there was near anguish in the judges meeting over this bike.

The same can be said for many entrants. If a participant is not willing to post a spec sheet/mod list or wait for the judges to come around so they can explain certain features of their vehicle to the judges, it will hurt their chances at a trophy. The judges don't have the time to follow everyones build threads on every forum. They can only go by what they see, if the hood is closed, they can't judge the engine.

On a similar note, this year we added target awards to the registration sheets. Perhaps we can word this better in the future (open to suggestions) this is for entrants to bring to our attention notable features. If a wrap is done so well that we think its paint, it may be overlooked for best wrap. If someone has an amazing sound system that looks factory and has no noting of it anywhere, it will likely be overlooked for best ice.

As I mentioned during the awards ceremony, we're not perfect as a judging team and are constantly looking for ways to get better/ more efficient.

I wish we could recognize every vehicle that deserves recognition. The reality is that we can't, but we are going to continue to do our very best at providing unbiased fair judging for these events.

-Greg
    DTP Idol Champion 2008
    No, YOU'RE on the wrong side

My Ride
    Mk6 GTi

Well said other Greg.

All constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by GT-R rated
    On a similar note, this year we added target awards to the registration sheets. Perhaps we can word this better in the future (open to suggestions) this is for entrants to bring to our attention notable features.
    I sort of understood what you were getting at, but I left mine blank. Since there's so many awards and judges change the award categories based on the selection of vehicles each year, nobody had any idea what they were eligible for. I had no idea what to put down that wouldn't be self explanatory (like domestic). An awards list may have been useful for more "open ended" awards like best wrap or best performance, those will likely be given out regardless of the vehicle selection.

I also heard people asking if they'd be considered for awards other than their target? IIRC the blank said "target award" (singular) which I think people didn't want to limit themselves to only being considered for one award.

Perhaps instead of target award, leave a blank for "special features", "highlights" or something to that nature?

I'm sad I somehow missed talking to the judges this year. Oh well! I thought you guys did a good job again this year. Its not an easy thing to do.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    growls

Can someone please explain what the "Honorable awards" were? Why were runner ups getting the same kind of trophies as the #1 winners? Seemed like a waste of trophies.

Also, how come for the first time ever there was no "Female tuner" award?

My Ride
    Exploded.

I bet they're tie breakers, hence they look the same. But one has to be the winner, if that made any sense.

My Ride
    IS300, 335, highlander, rentals?!

Agreed on the good job the judges did and have to do. There were a lot a lot cars, even more details on each car, and hardly any time.

The target award wording did seem to catch most of us off guard (or at least us new at the show) as we were wondering what the typical categories are. Something more like 'special/best/out of this world features or distinction' could go a long way to receiving better input back.

For the classes, I like that they leave it open at the show depending on what shows up. Some other ideas could be best 2JZ swap (there were enough of them for sure), best LSx swap, best paint, etc..
    Last edited by whatthe; 05-12-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    IS300 - 2JZ-GTE, DIY custom sequential 31psi at 2800rpms, yeehaw.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by gregrego

Just goes to show this is a car show and why bikes are more scarce every year.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Every...single...year...

After every event, people come out of the woodwork to whine, and bitch and moan about the awards and the winners and losers.

"Car "X" should have won"..."How the hell did car "Y" beat out the others in their class??"

And it is usually the people who didn't win, or are butt hurt that they didn't win that complain and moan about it on forums.

You had the opportunity during the show to meet with judges, after the presentations were made to make appeals (according to Greg) but no one takes the chances to do so. Or has their cars fully open and visible for judging...I have seen it year after year after year...

Yes, I fully agree that not all cars who won should have totally won...but unfortunately those are the breaks....
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    91 GT-R, 09 A4

Originally posted by NoPulp

I sort of understood what you were getting at, but I left mine blank. Since there's so many awards and judges change the award categories based on the selection of vehicles each year, nobody had any idea what they were eligible for. I had no idea what to put down that wouldn't be self explanatory (like domestic). An awards list may have been useful for more "open ended" awards like best wrap or best performance, those will likely be given out regardless of the vehicle selection.

I also heard people asking if they'd be considered for awards other than their target? IIRC the blank said "target award" (singular) which I think people didn't want to limit themselves to only being considered for one award.

Perhaps instead of target award, leave a blank for "special features", "highlights" or something to that nature?

I'm sad I somehow missed talking to the judges this year. Oh well! I thought you guys did a good job again this year. Its not an easy thing to do.

Exactly the feedback we're looking for, thank you. We're definitely going to do some clarification on what we mean with target awards/ notable features.

Originally posted by Squishy
    Can someone please explain what the "Honorable awards" were? Why were runner ups getting the same kind of trophies as the #1 winners? Seemed like a waste of trophies.

Also, how come for the first time ever there was no "Female tuner" award?
    As was made aware during the awards ceremony we ran out of trophy hardware this year, honorable mention and runner up are one and the same for a category. The hour less we had for the show really cut in to the time we had to compile the awards list and we didn't have a chance to make the small revisions to iron out the presentation. We already have a few systems set up for the next show to address this issue.

It was a difficult decision to cut the female tuner award. We want the awards to be for the vehicles in the end, not the person. We, as an organization, decided not to categorized car show awards based on sex or any notable groups that the owner may or may not fit in to.

Originally posted by whatthe
    Agreed on the good job the judges did and have to do. There were a lot a lot cars, even more details on each car, and hardly any time.

The target award wording did seem to catch most of us off guard (or at least us new at the show) as we were wondering what the typical categories are. Something more like 'special/best/out of this world features or distinction' could go a long way to receiving better input back.

For the classes, I like that they leave it open at the show depending on what shows up. Some other ideas could be best 2JZ swap (there were enough of them for sure), best LSx swap, best paint, etc..
    Again, great feed back, thank you. The new system we're implementing will allow us to better organize vehicles to necessary categories.

Originally posted by snowcat

Just goes to show this is a car show and why bikes are more scarce every year.
    I would disagree that bikes are becoming more scarce. We want to welcome gear heads of every variety. I would like to have another bike enthusiast on our judge team moving forward to expand our knowledge as a team.

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Every...single...year...

After every event, people come out of the woodwork to whine, and bitch and moan about the awards and the winners and losers.

"Car "X" should have won"..."How the hell did car "Y" beat out the others in their class??"

And it is usually the people who didn't win, or are butt hurt that they didn't win that complain and moan about it on forums.

You had the opportunity during the show to meet with judges, after the presentations were made to make appeals (according to Greg) but no one takes the chances to do so. Or has their cars fully open and visible for judging...I have seen it year after year after year...

Yes, I fully agree that not all cars who won should have totally won...but unfortunately those are the breaks....
    Thanks Arif, initially I didn't want to address any of the complaints on forums. I eventually changed my mind as I wanted to open discussion on what we can do to improve and I wanted to clarify what may hold someone back from winning.

I'm not going to engage in any back/forth conversations regarding specific issues on a public forum. If you have any suggestions for us moving forward please feel free to send them to me at [email protected] (this is the second post I've had on beyond in a few years, so I'm not as likely to respond on here)

Again, a huge thank you to everyone that continuously makes the show a great success. The quality of entrants seems to be on a continual upswing making our job that much more difficult.
    Last edited by GT-R rated; 05-13-2016 at 11:20 AM.
    DTP Idol Champion 2008
    No, YOU'RE on the wrong side

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I think I'll volunteer to be a judge next year, better get your shit together boys because I wont make it easy
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I think I'll volunteer to be a judge next year, better get your shit together boys because I wont make it easy
    White glove checking fender lines for dirt!

My Ride
    Ram

i think the judges did a great job. My only complaint if i had one was it took them a long time to go around and review the cars.(you mentioned you were short on judges already). From a competitor standpoint it kinda sucks standing around waiting for something unknown.

If you plan on having the same amount of judges, perhaps maybe have a booking system in place for time slots since you guys will receive the sheets the day before? I think that way the owner will be by their car at that time and they can describe their mods to you so you have a better understanding of the vehicle and you dont have to worry about the hood being popped or the interior being open.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Does paypal work for payment??....
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by EK 2.0

Does paypal work for payment??....
    Good thing I'm on his team...
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    2003 Nissan 350Z

Honestly, with the amount of cars there, I almost feel like this event would merit being a two day show. This would allow more time for the judges to do their work as well.
    Stardast flared, Accuair and Air Lift Suspension, Vortech Supercharged, Tucked & Shaved Engine Bay: Build Thread

[/b]

My Ride
    06 S2000

1) You want your car locked up for 2 days?
    2) The fees involved would be immense to rent the oval for that long I bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Are ticket sales high enough to make it worth a 2 day event?

It would suck for people coming out of town. I was already in Calgary from Friday to Sunday. Since I don't trailer my car, I didn't have another vehicle there either. A day of setup and a day of display is exhaust enough as is.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Exploded.

YASSSSSS

My Ride
    2003 Nissan 350Z

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    1) You want your car locked up for 2 days?
    2) The fees involved would be immense to rent the oval for that long I bet.
    Yeah I'd have no issues having the car there for the show for the weekend. Lots of bigger shows are multiple days... Hell I just had the car in one where it was in the building for 4 days.

Originally posted by NoPulp
    Are ticket sales high enough to make it worth a 2 day event?

It would suck for people coming out of town. I was already in Calgary from Friday to Sunday. Since I don't trailer my car, I didn't have another vehicle there either. A day of setup and a day of display is exhaust enough as is.
    Ticket sales would be the kicker... You'd have to have the feet through the door to justify the additional cost. I don't know if there is that here or not.

The amount of cars though, I know personally I didn't get a chance to look at everything there. I would have taken another day to take everything in.
    Stardast flared, Accuair and Air Lift Suspension, Vortech Supercharged, Tucked & Shaved Engine Bay: Build Thread

[/b]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5