Quantcast
Metal shard in food - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metal shard in food

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Metal shard in food

Today at lunch I was eating a donair I bought from a local shop and I noticed something shiny in it. There was about a 8mm long shard of shiny lightly magnetic metal stuck in some of the donair meat. I pulled it out and carefully finished my lunch but now I'm wondering what the correct thing to do is.

I don't know if the metal got into the meat when they cut it in their shop or if perhaps it came from their supplier like that. Is this the sort of thing where some city health inspector needs to be informed? Or should I just go to the restaurant directly? Should I not even care?... I mean I know stuff like this is bound to happen from time to time and there is probably some allowed concentration of metal bits in your food.

I know the people who work there pretty well and while I'm sure I'd probably get a free lunch or something out of it I feel like they are likely to just ignore the problem and not take any action about it.

Beyond - what would you do?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Personally I would talk to the owner/manager of the place and inform them. If they shrug it off, then contact the health inspector.

Shit happens but if you did not notice it before hand it could have been a bad experience for you.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I got a metal washer in a package of spices a couple of years back. They were reluctant to respond, and didn't do much about it other than claim they will investigate. Never heard back again. I was going through things at the time, so opted not to follow up even though I have a media friend who was willing to print the story.

Regardless of public knowledge or legal options, you really ought to let them know at the very least. If they don't seem to care, then you might want to escalate it as lampshade mentioned.

I think you should report it to the owner as well as the city or whoever handles that. It could be that there was a large contamination and you could have kids biting down on metal. Better safe than sorry imo.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

prob from the scouring pad they used, did it look like that?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    prob from the scouring pad they used, did it look like that?
    That's a good guess. It could be. It's rectangular in cross section and kind of curled up but if you straighten it the piece is about 8mm long.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

looks like it could be a shaving from a can opener.

I had the exact same thing happen to me from the cafeteria from my old office. I pushed it a bit, and got 5 free lunches out of it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Thats a nasty piece of metal and it would cut the hell out of someone's mouth. IMO, not reporting that basically makes you complicit in any injuries that might happen. You should report it before someone gets seriously hurt.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Thats a nasty piece of metal and it would cut the hell out of someone's mouth. IMO, not reporting that basically makes you complicit in any injuries that might happen. You should report it before someone gets seriously hurt.
    Who exactly do you report this to?

^i have no idea, id probably start by notifying the store, and calling 311 to report it to whatever Dept keeps track of these things.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Looks exactly like a piece from the scouring pad. It's wouldn't cut your mouth. Nor will you die.

I'd just explain that you found it in your food to them, they should actually stop using those or at least get the ones that are wrapped.

surprised that no one saw it. The person that made the food, or the ones that prepped the food... but it does happen.

but it does happen.
    I'm 37 and eat out all the time, I've never found metal shards in my food.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I just went back over to the store and showed the piece to them. They agreed it looked like steel wool or a scouring pad. They said it isn't one that they use (and I believe them since the 2 guys working there when I went back are the guys I have seen scrubbing things down at the end of the day) and it must have come in the meat. They seemed genuinely concerned and took the piece to show to the manager when he is in next and offered me free lunch on Monday. They also agreed this needs to be brought up with their meat supplier and said they would make sure it doesn't happen again.

I will return Monday when I know the manager will be in and I'll talk to him to make sure he heard about it and has done something about it.

As far as reporting it to the city goes, it seems like unless somebody actually gets sick the city doesn't act on stuff like this so I suppose for now it's a good enough resolution.

Thanks for the input guys. I initially felt like I was overreacting for even being bothered by it.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

I'm 37 and eat out all the time, I've never found metal shards in my food.
    good for you. Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

good for you. Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Yeah, you're right, metal shards in food must be really common and nothing to worry about all.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Sue everybody

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

ok, if its from a wool pad, its far from a "shard" and would likely do no damage, but it is a good idea to make sure they are aware of it.

some of you guys are talking like its half a blade form a butchers knife, i'm sure you have unknowingly eaten a lot worse and you're still alive
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I don't know for sure if it would do damage but when I tried to fold it up it did cut into my finger and stick there.

I agree it's not like it is a knife blade or something but after all this fuss over barbecue brushes I was a bit worried.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Yeah, you're right, metal shards in food must be really common and nothing to worry about all.
    because stainless steel wool = metal shards.

You all know the path this piece of metal is taking from your mouth to anus? Well ASSuming it makes it to your butt and is not snagged on some chunk of intestinal track. Maybe your stomach acid takes care of it... No harm? OK, let's see you eat it.

Forget about talking to the manager, this is a public health issue. Report it to: http://www12.albertahealthservices.c...h-inspections/
    Last edited by Minimalist; 10-21-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast