Quantcast
Incoming pilot project to take aim at speeding rates on QEII/major highways. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Incoming pilot project to take aim at speeding rates on QEII/major highways.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you driven elsewhere in Europe? Spain's 130+ seems fine. Germany was great. Nobody obeys speed limits in Europe anyway and it's great
    Spain's limit on autopistas is 120kph but they're far better than maintained than Canadian highways and they don't have to deal with such variable weather conditions (in most places). Spanish drivers are better trained and will slow down when conditions are adverse too, though, so there's common sense that goes along with the "maximum" limit.

They also have a lot of reductions to 80-100kph for bridges/tunnels/congestion points which are dumb because that's what causes the collision risk (many people don't slow down, though, except for tunnels where there's often radar).

The other problem is that cars aren't geared well for 120+kph so you're consuming 20% more fuel vs. 100kph and that fuel costs 1.5-2x what it does in Canada - only matters if you care about $ and emissions, though.

They make the radar systems very clearly marked so yes, a lot of people will drive a lot faster and then slow down at the radar points which also causes collision risks and I find stupid.

I like where they use point to point systems for dangerous sections (i.e. 12km stretch of curvy road where they check time intervals) but yea, overall I feel safer driving in Spain than in Canada and 120-130kph is fine from a safety perspective when conditions are good.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    QE2 needs to be 4 lanes each way between Calgary and Edm
    City Council: Okay so we voted to reduce one lane in each direction to add bike lanes to QE2.

The issues in Leduc exist exclusively outside the enforcement zones. They completely use it as a honey pot, and make the claim it's a "safety zone" or whatever, despite the safety issues existing a full KM upstream of the speed traps. If they gave a single fuck about safety, they'd do their enforcement on traffic travelling TOWARDS the area in question, not on traffic that has already gone through and is now on a perfectly safe triple divided road designed for 130km/h rate of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    The issues in Leduc exist exclusively outside the enforcement zones. They completely use it as a honey pot, and make the claim it's a "safety zone" or whatever, despite the safety issues existing a full KM upstream of the speed traps. If they gave a single fuck about safety, they'd do their enforcement on traffic travelling TOWARDS the area in question, not on traffic that has already gone through and is now on a perfectly safe triple divided road designed for 130km/h rate of travel.
    Agreed, the other thing they could do is ticket the morons leaving the airport & outlet mall where they merge onto the highway towards Edmonton at 40km/h, but that would likely eventually get labeled as being racist

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Maybe they need to do a study on how those changes really don't do jack shit. Look at the 80 zone heading east out of Calgary. Seldomly do you actually see people doing 80 in that zone and the other side of Chestermere is 80 but people slow down because cops always patrol there.

Yes you could enforce more but then why reduce the speed if that is the solution?
    Agreed that stretch is fucking painful and no one is doing 80. Same thing on the far west part of Glenmore close to the ring road.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3