Quantcast
Can't figure out why it won't start? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Can't figure out why it won't start?

My Ride
    93 Ford Taurus

Unhappy Can't figure out why it won't start?

Ok, I have a 93 Ford Taurus. Its been a good car to me. Only minor replacing has been done. But two weeks ago, I was going thru a drive thru and it died on me like 3 times. Well I made to my destination and it has not started since. We have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, had the ignition coil tested, and tested the spark plugs. It turns over but will not start. I don't even hear the fuel pump kick on anymore. But when we hot wired the inertia switch it would kick on and it would start. But we did that and the second time it happened it kicked my car into a extremely high idle. So we took off the battery pack and it died. I've had a Certified Mechanic look at it and it got him. I've had numerous people look and try to figure out the problem. Is there anyone else out there that has had this problem? Could it be a fuse? We located 2 fuse boxes, is there a third??? Could it be a wire being crimped? Or pinched? Or could it be that we burned the fuel pump up? I am devastated on why it won't start. Please help????
    Christie

I am trying to figure out what you did. You bypassed the inertia switch but did you have the battery pack on also? Try to isolate whether it is an electrical or fuel problem. With nothing bypassed and everything connected, spray starting fluid down the air intake and see if it tries to start. If it seems to respond, then it is a fuel delivery problem. If not, then it is an ignition problem. If you have the booster pack on, will it start? This doesn't make sense to me because if it has enough power to crank properly, it should have enough power to run on its own. Post what happens after you use the starting fluid. This'll cut down the possiblities. The are so many variables, this is the way to begin.
    Last edited by knucklebuster; 03-26-2004 at 09:42 PM.
    The Auto Guru-Free Automotive Information and Advice
    www.theautoguru.com

there is a relay, probly hidden under the dash somewhere that turns on the fuel pump once you turn on the ignition. Does the fuel pump get electricity at all, what the fuck is an inertia switch?

Originally posted by afchack
    there is a relay, probly hidden under the dash somewhere that turns on the fuel pump once you turn on the ignition. Does the fuel pump get electricity at all, what the fuck is an inertia switch?
    An inertia switch cuts off current flow to the fuel pump if it gets jarred around a little hard ie. accident.

My Ride
    93 Ford Taurus

I know they tried seeing if the pump got anything juice at all. I am thinking its something electrical. But its acting like it don't get any fuel whatsoever to start.
    Last edited by taurusowner2; 03-27-2004 at 02:47 PM.
    Christie

Is the fuel pump getting electricity at the plug? If it isn't, then that could be your fuel delivery problem. This could mean a bad fuel pump relay, fuse, inertia switch (especially if you bypassed it and it started) and/or wiring. The fuel pump relay is the most common. If it is getting electricity and the pump still isn't working, it is the pump. By the way, you did reset the inertia switch, right? Like I said, the easiest way to isolate whether it is fuel or electrical, is to spray starting fluid down the air intake and see if the car responds.
    www.theautoguru.com

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Sounds like the ICM is done (controls the coil pulse). its around 50$ cdn (so probally like 30$ for you)..

Is this on the 3.0l v6?
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    93 Ford Taurus

It is a 3.8L. Its got good pick up that is why I want my car back. LOL. If that is the case where is that located do you know?
    Christie

On your year car, I am showing the Ignition Control Module as being located on the fenderwell. It is rectangular in shape, about 2" X 5" long, attached to the inner fender by two small bolts, has one connector with approximately 7 wires going to it.
    www.theautoguru.com

My Ride
    93 Ford Taurus

Well, we got to the problem finally on my car. I took it into a service center and I watched them test various things on the car and so forth. Well, found out while I was there that there wasn't enough voltage getting to my fuel pump. SO he told me right out that its some wiring problem somewhere in the car. Yes they took out my dashboard and found the problem. The plug that controls the fuel pump was corrodided away. He said I was lucky it ran as long as it did. So now I am just waiting on the car to be done. I appreciate all the help, and advice. I never thought I would learn as much as I did about my car. And the funny thing is, is when I call the auto parts store, they guys up there are surprised to hear a female asking questions that normally guys ask.
    Christie