Quantcast
YYC Direct Flights Shakeup 2023 - AC Out, WJ In - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: YYC Direct Flights Shakeup 2023 - AC Out, WJ In

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you mean you never “get” upgraded on AC? Are you booking a coach fare and expecting to sit up front? More information needed.
    I book flex and about half the time get free business or pod upgrades with WJ. I have had that happen once on AC in about 5 years.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    I book flex and about half the time get free business or pod upgrades with WJ. I have had that happen once on AC in about 5 years.
    Yeah cos you gotta use your E-Upgrade points to be eligible for a bump? Westjet doesn't have that system, they just upgrade based on space and status

I've had a westjet upgrade 4 or 5 times recently, but I got AC upgrades just about every time I used the e-upgrades, the Dreamliner lay-flats over to London were awesome

My Ride
    X5

Both airlines generally suck but I prefer westjet for traveling in North America, and Air Canada internationally. AC has more global partnerships and can build up more points when traveling on partner networks internationally

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Has anyone flown to Dubai recently? Looking at going there as a hub to go to Seychelles. Not sure best way to fly there, wouldn’t mind a few good stops along the way other than L.A..

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Has anyone flown to Dubai recently? Looking at going there as a hub to go to Seychelles. Not sure best way to fly there, wouldn’t mind a few good stops along the way other than L.A..
    I went via Seattle with Emirates. 14 hour flight - aircraft was comfortable and not completely full - this was prior to pandemic, YMMV

My Ride
    *The First*

Seychelles looks like one of the nicest places on earth.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That and French Polynesia seem to be pretty incredible.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Seattle would be better, I’ll try to find some flights out of there - thanks for the tip. Seychelles does look incredible, have wanted to go for a while now. It’s just a pain in the ass to get to.

Haven’t done French polynesia before but have done Fiji. 10/10 would go back if I was ever down under again.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Seattle would be better, I’ll try to find some flights out of there - thanks for the tip. Seychelles does look incredible, have wanted to go for a while now. It’s just a pain in the ass to get to.

Haven’t done French polynesia before but have done Fiji. 10/10 would go back if I was ever down under again.
    I like your lifestyle aha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I did Fiji back in the oughts on the way to nz, was a free stopover, liked that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    Both airlines generally suck but I prefer westjet for traveling in North America, and Air Canada internationally. AC has more global partnerships and can build up more points when traveling on partner networks internationally
    Never flown AC international. But domestically, I'd be more likely to book a seat upgrade on a Swoop flight, just to avoid those horrible ass numbing seats with AC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-yyc-1.6721375

Seems to be a decent article from the CBC confirming many of the comments mentioned here; becoming more regional, increasing barriers to entry, keeping prices high etc.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ve been thru all the AC status. Once I hit super elite I was upgraded thru e upgrades pretty much every single flight. The super elite call center even helped me split my reservation and leverage the nominee rules to get all 5 of us upgraded to lie flats. SE has priority on all upgrades so it’s pretty much guaranteed, and they litter you with e upgrade points to upgrade all the time.

I’m back to peasant status now, gonna miss the perks.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    That makes perfect sense then. You're booking an economy fare ticket, if you want business on AC you need to use your upgrade points, or bid on it at check in. You don't just "get it" for free. Do you also complain when you pay for 50 liters of 87 octane and they don't give you 94 for the same price?

The reason WJ does it the way that they do is because the product is completely different. There is no business class on their narrow body fleet, it's just premium economy, whereas AC offers an actual business class cabin. Thinking that premium economy is an "upgrade" of some sort is a bit of a stretch... If you're on a 787, to compare apples to apples, you should at least be booking in O class on Air Canada, if you're hoping for an upgrade. If you want the seat, pay for it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The Air Canada PR department has spoken!

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

That makes perfect sense then. You're booking an economy fare ticket, if you want business on AC you need to use your upgrade points, or bid on it at check in. You don't just "get it" for free. Do you also complain when you pay for 50 liters of 87 octane and they don't give you 94 for the same price?

The reason WJ does it the way that they do is because the product is completely different. There is no business class on their narrow body fleet, it's just premium economy, whereas AC offers an actual business class cabin. Thinking that premium economy is an "upgrade" of some sort is a bit of a stretch... If you're on a 787, to compare apples to apples, you should at least be booking in O class on Air Canada, if you're hoping for an upgrade. If you want the seat, pay for it.
    I think where some of the gripes come from is that a lot of other airlines do randomly upgrade passengers when business isn't full. Most of the United flights and Delta flights I've been on, the cabin crew will come through and select passengers with status to move up to business when that cabin isn't full. By contrast, AC will only do that when the flight is over sold. I'm 50K and being randomly upgraded has happened to me twice. It's not something I expect as I know it doesn't happen often and I'll use my credits if I want to; but it is nice when it happens.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-yyc-1.6721375

Seems to be a decent article from the CBC confirming many of the comments mentioned here; becoming more regional, increasing barriers to entry, keeping prices high etc.
    Seems like they're mimicking the US model for ex. Delta hub at SEA; United at SFO/DFW

I wonder if the Japan route becomes a cash cow for WJ, they'll expand to HKG or MNL. That would be nice.

My Ride
    V8s

This is either a pretty good troll job, or you have no idea how stupid you sound.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Someone please tell me why Delta, American or any other airline not based in Canada can't run domestic flights here?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Someone please tell me why Delta, American or any other airline not based in Canada can't run domestic flights here?
    I think it has something to do with cheese with French accents
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast