Quantcast
Steal from Loblaws day May 12th. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Steal from Loblaws day May 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even still. Follow the sales.

Example: gala apples are on sale, but you eat Granny Smith like a weirdo. Well guess what, you’re eating gala this week.

I thought most people shopped like this. It’s low hanging fruit.
    If I'm poor enough that I'm looking at the price of something completely unrequired in a diet, like apples. Then I just wouldn't buy apples. Saving a single dollar on apples seems like it's not worth worrying about, and getting what you prefer is warranted.

For all the unnecessary shit I have to buy because kids and wife. I just try to stock up on crazy Tuesday.

Nobody hear shopping at Freson Bros? They're not even on that list of conglomerates. I have no idea how they break down price wise? Wife buys some random things there.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post

For all the unnecessary shit I have to buy because kids and wife. I just try to stock up on crazy Tuesday.

"Crazy Tuesday" as in the first Tuesday of the month? The week that coincides with everything costing 15-20% more than any other week but if you go on that Tuesday you "get 15% off" and stand in a Disneyland-length line?
    Yah, you have not cracked the code.

I just buy the food I want to eat when I want to eat it... Sale is irrelevant.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Does anyone use PC points to pay for the groceries?
    I have the PC Mastercard. This has been the most useful credit card for myself as I don't spend much. I use the points to pay for the groceries.

What the consumer needs to understand is that if they go to a smaller store. That store may be buying all its goods from Loblaws wholesale division.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I have the PC Mastercard. This has been the most useful credit card for myself as I don't spend much. I use the points to pay for the groceries.

What the consumer needs to understand is that if they go to a smaller store. That store may be buying all its goods from Loblaws wholesale division.
    Nothing special about it other than basically 1% back like many other no fee CCs.

I'm at the stage of life where I don't eat a lot and travel budget is bigger than grocery budget. Travel CC like Westjet Mastercard seems to get me way better return than PC Mastercard.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-07-2024 at 09:44 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post

I try not to as saving for Shoppers redemption events are more worthwhile for me.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I try not to as saving for Shoppers redemption events are more worthwhile for me.
    Agree. Always the best deals on Tampons so I can stock the bathrooms at work.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Nothing special about it other than basically 1% back like many other no fee CCs.

I'm at the stage of life where I don't eat a lot and travel budget is bigger than grocery budget. Travel CC like Westjet Mastercard seems to get me way better return than PC Mastercard.
    I'm in the same boat. Is the tradeoff that better?
    Ive moved the discussion to the Credit Card post.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/359...91#post5178691

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I just buy the food I want to eat when I want to eat it... Sale is irrelevant.
    Beyond, where TAG Heuer wearing AMG owners compare their grocery store coupon clipping skills and battle to beat $40 phone data plans
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Beyond, where TAG Heuer wearing AMG owners compare their grocery store coupon clipping skills and battle to beat $40 phone data plans
    QfT.
    +Rep

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    2-10mill homes with power lines
    amazing range
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I knew that 5G towers were a nuisance, but living in neighborhoods with power lines is something else to consider when purchasing. Beyond always there to help.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

If I'm poor enough that I'm looking at the price of something completely unrequired in a diet, like apples. Then I just wouldn't buy apples. Saving a single dollar on apples seems like it's not worth worrying about, and getting what you prefer is warranted.

Nobody hear shopping at Freson Bros? They're not even on that list of conglomerates. I have no idea how they break down price wise? Wife buys some random things there.
    Apples was just my example.

Apply it to the entire shopping trip and it makes a really big difference.

Like, when loin cut pork chops are on sale - buy the big pack. Eat those 2-3 time this week.

Same with the family size ground beef. Enjoy chilli 3 times next week. Strategy like that.

Disclaimer, it doesn’t work well for kids obviously. That doesn’t need to be said, but surprisingly kids will eat it often if it tastes good.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ground beef is a good one, buy it on sale, in large quantities, make larger batches of things, freeze what you don't need right away.

Number 1 tip to lower grocery costs is to eat your damned leftovers. My family is pretty inconsistent for that TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

Freson Bros is unbelievably expensive. Shopped there once in a while when my seasonal was in Sundre. Good sales though I guess.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Costco chicken drumsticks has been my fav protein as of late. The $20 packages can be had with the $5 off a pack sale which brings it down quite cheap for having ~20ish drumsticks in a package.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Costco chicken drumsticks has been my fav protein as of late. The $20 packages can be had with the $5 off a pack sale which brings it down quite cheap for having ~20ish drumsticks in a package.
    So around $0.75 a drumstick? Usually try to go for $0.50 a drum or ensure you're paying under $2/lb for chicken.

"Crazy Tuesday" as in the first Tuesday of the month? The week that coincides with everything costing 15-20% more than any other week but if you go on that Tuesday you "get 15% off" and stand in a Disneyland-length line?
    Yah, you have not cracked the code.
    Maybe you belong in a flat earth conspiracy group?

I'm not trying to crack any code, but I have to do a big grocery shop once a month, might as well line it up with getting 15% off. There's no big line ups at my local grocery store, maybe there would be if we went at 4:30pm when everyone is getting off work? The line ups at Costco at 10am on a weekday are way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Apples was just my example.

Apply it to the entire shopping trip and it makes a really big difference.

Like, when loin cut pork chops are on sale - buy the big pack. Eat those 2-3 time this week.

Same with the family size ground beef. Enjoy chilli 3 times next week. Strategy like that.

Disclaimer, it doesn’t work well for kids obviously. That doesn’t need to be said, but surprisingly kids will eat it often if it tastes good.
    I don't think I really notice many things where I can make similar switch to get an on sale item. Maybe something like cheese, I would switch brands to grab an on sale brand. Generally this has to be on things that can be frozen, so you can really stock up. Like the wifes need to have grassfed organic butter at $9 per piece. When those go on sale for $6 I'll grab a bunch. But realistically is she would just eat normal $5 butter, that would actually save some costs.

My kid would probably eat whatever, and not fret at all to have the same thing 3 times in a week. It's the wife that is picky and wants to have something new every single night.

Like ExtraSlow mentioned. I am anal about wasting food now. Left overs almost never get thrown away. We used to chuck tons of food before that was a focus.

My Ride
    *The First*

Maybe you belong in a flat earth conspiracy group?

I'm not trying to crack any code, but I have to do a big grocery shop once a month, might as well line it up with getting 15% off...
    Seriously?
    Let's pretend you own a grocery store and one week of every month contains the "first Tuesday" of the month. If virtually every customer gets 15% off their bill that day, how deep are you going to make the discounts for that week's flyer?
    By far obviously, noticeably shittier discounts compared to every other week? Yes.
    Which is what they noticeably, obviously do.

TANSTAAFL.

Seriously?
    Let's pretend you own a grocery store and one week of every month contains the "first Tuesday" of the month. If virtually every customer gets 15% off their bill that day, how deep are you going to make the discounts for that week's flyer?
    By far obviously, noticeably shittier discounts compared to every other week? Yes.
    Which is what they noticeably, obviously do.

TANSTAAFL.
    Ok story changing, that's good. Still not sure what your point is? I don't particularly care if a bunch of things I don't need or want are a better sale at other times throughout the month. It is far more economically viable to get 15% off of the things I actually purchase. And if there was some unbelievable flyer deal later in the month for something I actually purchase, I can make one off stop at the grocery store and still capture that sale. They don't ban you from the store after crazy Tuesday.

But just for fun I could do like you said, and pretend I own a grocery store. So instead of my normal 100% markup, I pick one day a month to do a 70% markup. As such I smash my volume numbers out of the park and do 2 weeks of volume in one day. Since I've acted on people's psyche and created urgency, they in turn purchased way more than they need, because it's a "sale". The 70% markup on that extra volume adds up to more gross profit than the normal 100% markup at normal volumes. So I actually don't give a shit about any other sales through the month, I'm just happy I made a bunch of extra money.
    Last edited by Misterman; 05-07-2024 at 11:04 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast