Quantcast
Used 4Runner - Things to Watch Out For - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Used 4Runner - Things to Watch Out For

Default Used 4Runner - Things to Watch Out For

Hoping current or former 4Runner owners can chime in on this.

Going to look at a used ‘21 4Runner this weekend and trying to get a sense of specific things to look out for, known issues or any tips on how to test some of the more unique features (MTS, 4WD system, etc) in the city.

Dealership did the usual inspection and sent me the inspection sheet, their provided Carfax is clean and it looks to be in great shape, but just want to be cautious; most of the diligence materials being provided are from the selling dealer.

In case it’s helpful, specifically looking at a 4Runner in the “Venture” trim, so it has MTS, A-TRAC, etc.

And also, any current owners run into issues with the size of their 4Runners in fairly typical infill garages? Size looks alright on paper but definitely tight.
    Last edited by BrknFngrs; 05-02-2024 at 10:16 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I have a 2020, the only thing I would look at is on the black garnish above the license plate, the corners tend to rub through the gasket and paint then cause small bits of rust. Mine was fixed during warranty, but the paint warranty on a 21 may be over now. If there is any scuffing of the paint, I would insist it gets fixed as it will get worse.

Other than that, the only other issue I had was an airbag light going off in the cold, but they said it was due to aftermarket LED bulbs... it sounded ridiculous, but when I removed them it stopped. I think the 21 comes with LED headlights, so not really a concern. You may also get a slight steering wheel shake around 80... you can get the wheels rebalanced, but it may just come and go. Kind of a 4Runner thing.

Out of curiousity, what is it listed for? I will be selling my TRD Pro in the coming months and prices are all over the map.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I had a 21 venture that i did a Emu lift on with tires etc. It was as good as can be for being a 4runner nothing overly fancy. Out of all the vehicles i had id probably trust that one in terms of reliability over anything else ive owned or currently have.

Only issue i had was a wheel speed sensor knocked off after lift install that sent the gauge cluster into Christmas tree mode, which was fixed shortly after once new sensor came in.

I dont think its worth getting the TRD pro for only the fox shocks IMO. Can get way better suspension for the money (EMU excluded i just went cheaper option over the better name brand)

Just dont become the typical douche getting roof racks/off grid tents you'll never use... The Toyota crowd is weird...

Had a 4th gen 4runner, but did research into getting a 5th Gen but ended up with a Tundra. Engine's the same, it's pretty solid with normal maintenance. The only thing I would confirm is which suspension package I believe standard for the 5th gen was the XREAS system or option for toyota's KDSS, might be standard on the venture trim? When I was shopping around i recall the dealers advertising the venture trim also came with a cooler, not that this is important. If you want to consider towing, double check if it has Tow package (integrated hitch receiver and 4pin/7way plug)

I believe the 4runner didn't have power folding mirrors, that was one of my gripes.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Which trim?
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a 2020, the only thing I would look at is on the black garnish above the license plate, the corners tend to rub through the gasket and paint then cause small bits of rust. Mine was fixed during warranty, but the paint warranty on a 21 may be over now. If there is any scuffing of the paint, I would insist it gets fixed as it will get worse.

Other than that, the only other issue I had was an airbag light going off in the cold, but they said it was due to aftermarket LED bulbs... it sounded ridiculous, but when I removed them it stopped. I think the 21 comes with LED headlights, so not really a concern. You may also get a slight steering wheel shake around 80... you can get the wheels rebalanced, but it may just come and go. Kind of a 4Runner thing.

Out of curiousity, what is it listed for? I will be selling my TRD Pro in the coming months and prices are all over the map.
    Appreciate the info, will take a specific look for any damage/wear around the license plate and ensure this gets remedied. And yep, '21 does have the LED headlights, so hopefully no issues on that front.

Price wise - this one is at $49 OTD with just over 100k on the odometer. Not cheap, but seems to be competitive for higher trims/reasonable kilometers, accident free/clean title and also includes 2 full sets of tires and rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    I had a 21 venture that i did a Emu lift on with tires etc. It was as good as can be for being a 4runner nothing overly fancy. Out of all the vehicles i had id probably trust that one in terms of reliability over anything else ive owned or currently have.

Only issue i had was a wheel speed sensor knocked off after lift install that sent the gauge cluster into Christmas tree mode, which was fixed shortly after once new sensor came in.

I dont think its worth getting the TRD pro for only the fox shocks IMO. Can get way better suspension for the money (EMU excluded i just went cheaper option over the better name brand)

Just dont become the typical douche getting roof racks/off grid tents you'll never use... The Toyota crowd is weird...
    Came to the same conclusion - love the Pro's but they fetch a pretty large premium and I likely don't need the added functionality. Hoping a Venture trim should be more than sufficient to get me in and out of Ghost year around - definitely avoiding any urges to go full overland for my daily commuter ha-ha

Quote Originally Posted by hrdkore View Post
    Had a 4th gen 4runner, but did research into getting a 5th Gen but ended up with a Tundra. Engine's the same, it's pretty solid with normal maintenance. The only thing I would confirm is which suspension package I believe standard for the 5th gen was the XREAS system or option for toyota's KDSS, might be standard on the venture trim? When I was shopping around i recall the dealers advertising the venture trim also came with a cooler, not that this is important. If you want to consider towing, double check if it has Tow package (integrated hitch receiver and 4pin/7way plug)

I believe the 4runner didn't have power folding mirrors, that was one of my gripes.
    Hmm good points, will confirm whether it has power folders and the tow package (definitely has the factory hitch). Believe this trim only had one available suspension option, but good to confirm that as well.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post

Hmm good points, will confirm whether it has power folders and the tow package (definitely has the factory hitch). Believe this trim only had one available suspension option, but good to confirm that as well.

I believe power folding is aftermarket, and all 5th gen 4Runners come standard with the tow package. May just have been the US where the Venture had optional KDSS.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not 4R specific but I had lots of issues with CV’s on my FJ cruiser.

I think I did 3 separate replacements for various reasons even with stock geometry.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Issues on a 3yo Toyota? Does not compute.
    It should have fewer issues than a 3-day-old BMW.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I can't speak to the new ones, but I still regret selling my 3rd Gen Limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.