Quantcast
Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada - Page 46 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle No More protests target bridges, roads across Canada

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The word genocide has lost all meaning. If Canada was implementing genocide, there would be no indigenous people left to complain.
    I think you are giving our genocide sector too much credit. They are way behind the times.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea our government sucks at doing everything else, why do we assume they would be good at genociding?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  89e253.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  47.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The word genocide has lost all meaning. If Canada was implementing genocide, there would be no indigenous people left to complain.
    Uhh...

https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Trucks

UN has a very genofluid definition, but the first line that stands out to me is ‘with intent’. I’m sure no modern Canadian government had the intent of destroying all the natives, it just was a happy accident. So we’re all good then.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Incompetent genocide

My Ride
    *The First*

Did you just assume genocide?

My Ride
    Pipe

The only solution is for all Canadians to identify as first peoples. I'm currently doing genealogical search to locate some indian in my ancestry so I can get in on the action. If you cant beat them, join them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Money Hoes View Post
    The only solution is for all Canadians to identify as first peoples. I'm currently doing genealogical search to locate some indian in my ancestry so I can get in on the action. If you cant beat them, join them.
    Be great if this was possible. How is it they're able to say that Metis have full rights now, when people with real Bush Ninja blood in their line, can't get status? My great great grandfather from my Mom's Mom, is full Cherokee Indian. Pretty sure when my Mom looked into it, she basically got told there's no way. But if your ancient french grandparents had an orgy with some Squaw, boom, you're golden.

I assume your in alberta? Are you hoping for metis heritage or full blown status? If your in alberta what advantage do you think you'll get?

There are clear advantages in Ontario, quebec and the maritimes but in alberta it's a big crap shoot.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

That sounds like a lot of effort. Just tell everyone you're part FN, like Dani Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Trucks

I’ve had several aunts and uncles do the dna test thing. They all original from Quebec and came back with 0% native blood. I was lè shocked. All the boys had a native girl hidden away somewhere, back then. Guess I’ll have to wait out for some Ukrainian benefits instead.

Would love to hear what sort of advantage you think you may get in alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Be great if this was possible. How is it they're able to say that Metis have full rights now, when people with real Bush Ninja blood in their line, can't get status? My great great grandfather from my Mom's Mom, is full Cherokee Indian. Pretty sure when my Mom looked into it, she basically got told there's no way. But if your ancient french grandparents had an orgy with some Squaw, boom, you're golden.
    Rules for status have changed quite a bit over the last 20 to 30 years. A reserve would happily assist you with things if your ancestors were born and raised on a specific reserve.

And for the record metis are considered the same as an Indian as per the court of law but they have far less rights then a true status Indian. No health care, no dental, significantly less hunting rights, no tax exemptions etc etc etc.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post

Rules for status have changed quite a bit over the last 20 to 30 years. A reserve would happily assist you with things if your ancestors were born and raised on a specific reserve.

And for the record metis are considered the same as an Indian as per the court of law but they have far less rights then a true status Indian. No health care, no dental, significantly less hunting rights, no tax exemptions etc etc etc.
    Well… what about open claims about status when applying for work? And specifically tugging the DIB strings?

We hear about that, does it work?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    The Alberta Indian Tax Exemption (AITE) program consists of:

• An exemption from taxes and levies for eligible consumers and bands at the time of purchase on:
      • fuel products purchased on reserve in Alberta or delivered to reserve
      • tobacco products purchased on reserve in Alberta
      • accommodation purchased on reserve in Alberta

• A refund of the Alberta fuel tax to fuel sellers when the fuel is sold or delivered to eligible consumers on reserve in Alberta.
    • A refund of the Alberta tobacco tax on tobacco products sold by retailers to eligible consumers on reserve in Alberta.
    • A refund of the Alberta tourism levy to operators that provide accommodation on reserve to eligible consumers.
    • Information for tobacco wholesalers and fuel suppliers that provide products to registered retailers making tax-exempt sales to eligible consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Well… what about open claims about status when applying for work? And specifically tugging the DIB strings?

We hear about that, does it work?
    I assume that's where he was going with things. What are the rules for an employer if someone posts their heritage/status on their job app? Can a potential employer ask questions? I can think of 20 different questions one could use to sniff out a liar on their job application.

Wouldn't it be easier to say your non binary then pretend to be metis/status Indian and not be able to answer questions during your interview?

Now if he's a sub contractor wanting preferential treatment on bids, he's going to need more then a DNA test. Still think it's easier for him to have an lgbtq+ owner/partner if that's the route he's trying as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post

• An exemption from taxes and levies for eligible consumers and bands at the time of purchase on:

• A refund of the Alberta fuel tax to fuel sellers when the fuel is sold or delivered to eligible consumers on reserve in Alberta.
    • A refund of the Alberta tobacco tax on tobacco products sold by retailers to eligible consumers on reserve in Alberta.
    • A refund of the Alberta tourism levy to operators that provide accommodation on reserve to eligible consumers.
    • Information for tobacco wholesalers and fuel suppliers that provide products to registered retailers making tax-exempt sales to eligible consumers.
    I'm going to guess someone doing a blood DNA test to sort out past Indian heritage isn't going to get full status to qualify for some savings on gas/tobacco. Right now gas savings on a reserve is 5% gst as the Alberta government has already reduced the gas tax.

There are potential tax savings for indigenous owned businesses but the rules are not easy for most to follow. For example 2 accountants I've dealt with over 20 years refused to assist me with a potential business/industry I'm looking at getting into. A 3rd one who handles a bunch of my buddies business has things sorted out but it's complicated.

It comes across as though I should be prepared to be audited constantly if I want to take advantage of some of the potential tax exemptions.

None of these things apply to Alberta Metis.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    None of these things apply to Alberta Metis.
    Why not?

https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/146280.../1572460627149

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think there's a big disconnect between what folks think we spend on "native supports and stuff" and how much benefit any individual native is getting.

Lot of reasons for that, but it's an important distinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

Metis "indians" until recently have not been considered the same as a status Indian. There's been a few court cases to clarify this so they are now considered the same but as of today not much has changed in relation to different rights that are provided under the Indian act to a full status Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think there's a big disconnect between what folks think we spend on "native supports and stuff" and how much benefit any individual native is getting.

Lot of reasons for that, but it's an important distinction.
    It's why I was wondering what additional benefits the one user thinks he will get. Maybe some help on a job app(assuming they don't question him/her), maybe some extra help on bidding on jobs(assuming they don't question him/her) and Maybe some funding for a business(again assuming they don't question him which is extremely unlikely).

In Ont, quebec and Atlantic you can get tax exemptions at the till anywhere you shop. In alberta it's not setup that way.

My co worker the other day thought I didn't pay taxes.

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 45 46 47 ... LastLast