Quantcast
JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread. - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: JAYMEZ' Importing from the States thread.

My Ride
    JDM DSM VR4

This thread is exactly what I needed.

However, could someone clarify the process for getting a 15yr or older car back across? I know that they don't have to go through the RIV, but does that mean the process is the same, you just don't pay the RIV fee or do a federal inspection on it?

My Ride
    Eclipse

I forget who the user is, but you should PM the guy that imported the red NSX, he should be able to answer your questions...

I think its all the same other then the recall later tho...
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Someone should do one of these guides on how to import a car from Japan.

Importing a car from Japan is pretty easy .. Maybe ill add one when I have some extra time. Im also going to make this thread more tidy!
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Can you also do one on how to import blondes from Cali and Australia? Lets just say theres a huge grey market in my pants! hahaha Thanks Jaymez!
    Last edited by Sacred; 11-08-2006 at 12:07 PM.

My Ride
    2016 GTR Black Edition

Thanks for the info. I just got back from Seattle with a 2007 STI. I convinced a buddy to do the same and he imported a 2007 STI Limited.

My Ride
    E90 335i

I know that Whitlash Montana is a point of exit for leaving the states, but is there a point of entry that you have to cross of comming into Canada where you have to do similar things that you did with Whitlash? (like contact them 3 days in advance)

Thanks yall.

I PMed you back LUCKYSTRIKE. THat should answer your questions.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    E90 335i

Sorry still a little confused. Do you have to get all this done at a certain place in the states? Jaymez I saw that you had this done at Whitlash, Montana which is a little while before the border.

Could I also do the 3 day in advance contacting to the Sweet grass border as it is closer to Alberta?

Just for clarification, for the US border I need to contact them 3 days in advance with:

Bill of Sale
    Title
    Recall letter

I talked to RIV and the guy told me that I don't need anything at the Canadian border and that they will give me an import form and I have to pay a fee.

You need the documentation to show the car has been exported from the US. You need the exported stamp from US customs on your original Title or you can't start the RIV process.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

^^ That's not entirely correct. From the Canadian Customs side, they don't really care if you have the export stamp on your title or not. It's a US law to have the title stamped as exported and it's up to you whether you want to comply. However, there are consequences for not complying if the vehicle is ever in the USA again.

I brought my unstamped MSO to the Canadian border customs and immigration and they refused to process my RIV documentation until it was stamped exported. What is funny is that I was told 2 minutes before by a different customs and immigration officer who was manning the booth that I did not need the stamp, and that I could get it stamped after the fact.

My feeling is that your experience will vary depending on who is doing your paperwork at the border. I don't really think the customs people always know what to do.

Originally posted by Altezza
    ^^ That's not entirely correct. From the Canadian Customs side, they don't really care if you have the export stamp on your title or not. It's a US law to have the title stamped as exported and it's up to you whether you want to comply. However, there are consequences for not complying if the vehicle is ever in the USA again.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by xrayvsn
    I brought my unstamped MSO to the Canadian border customs and immigration and they refused to process my RIV documentation until it was stamped exported. What is funny is that I was told 2 minutes before by a different customs and immigration officer who was manning the booth that I did not need the stamp, and that I could get it stamped after the fact.

My feeling is that your experience will vary depending on who is doing your paperwork at the border. I don't really think the customs people always know what to do.

Ya thats why you go into the US customs side first, and get it stamped and then go to the canadian boarder
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE
    Sorry still a little confused. Do you have to get all this done at a certain place in the states? Jaymez I saw that you had this done at Whitlash, Montana which is a little while before the border.

Could I also do the 3 day in advance contacting to the Sweet grass border as it is closer to Alberta?

Just for clarification, for the US border I need to contact them 3 days in advance with:

Bill of Sale
    Title
    Recall letter

I talked to RIV and the guy told me that I don't need anything at the Canadian border and that they will give me an import form and I have to pay a fee.
    Bill of sale
    US Title (The owner wont have this if there is a lien)
    Customs Worksheet

The recall later is required later in the process when you take it in for the inspection..

My Ride
    E90 335i

Am I able to do this at Sweet grass Montana or just Whitlash Montana?

Last edited by nonlinear; 12-15-2009 at 05:00 PM.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I'm not sure if this has been covered.. but if i buy a car from a dealership in the US, do I need to pay any taxes to the dealership (GST, excise, tire levies, etc), or do I just pay this at the border?

thanks!

No you should not have to pay sales tax to the dealer - none.

The Canadian governmanet will get you for duty (if any) and GST at the border. If you are registering the car in a province that has sales tax, you will pay the provincial sales tax when you register the car.

My Ride
    2007 Sunlight Silver Mazdaspeed3

Thanks so much Jaymez, xray and the others who contributed to this thread! I just got back last week with my 2007 Sunlight Silver Mazdaspeed3 thanks in big part to this thread. Everything went real smoothly at the border. Tomorrow the DRL's get installed and then the Federal Inspection.

And I did not pay sales tax in the U.S., just GST, duty, RIV fee and a/c tax at the border.

If you're interested I've provided more details here:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66834.0

and more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93859076@N00/

Dwayne

My Ride
    Eclipse

Good job man, how much did u save? if u dont mind telling us

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast