Quantcast
LED Light bulbs? - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Light bulbs?

Picked up one of these to try out in my bedside reading lamp, I thought LED would be nice since they barely give off any heat and I need my room to be as cold as possible:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-...t-white/861191

Love it. Super bright, nice and cool (to the touch). The Soft White is great for most areas. They are cheap enough I think I will replace all my lights with those.

Anyone know if they make a 100W equivalent version? I have some tri-light lamps I'd like to use them with, which I assume they work with since most are dimmable.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I haven't seen a Philips flat 100w equivalent yet. Cree makes a nice 100w equiv. A bit pricey here in Canada still.

Also have not seen a tri-light LED bulb yet.
    Tri-light are not dimmable, but have 2 separate filaments and 2 different contacts on the base.
    I have read where someone put a Philips LED bulb in a tri-light fixture and it "blowed up real good" as the low filament contact of the socket shorted to the base.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Is tri-light and 3 way the same thing? Cree recently announced that they make them, but not here in Canada yet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-30-6...U100/205226208

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by supe
    Is tri-light and 3 way the same thing? Cree recently announced that they make them, but not here in Canada yet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-30-6...U100/205226208
    Yes. Good to know, should hit Canada eventually.

They also released a fluorescent T8 replacement tubes in the USA, so only a bit of time before they hit Canada.

these beasts will be the Perfect Garage light.. No slow cold starts, and no energy wasting.

Originally posted by The_Penguin
    I haven't seen a Philips flat 100w equivalent yet. Cree makes a nice 100w equiv. A bit pricey here in Canada still.

Also have not seen a tri-light LED bulb yet.
    Tri-light are not dimmable, but have 2 separate filaments and 2 different contacts on the base.
    I have read where someone put a Philips LED bulb in a tri-light fixture and it "blowed up real good" as the low filament contact of the socket shorted to the base.
    Eh? I have LEDs in a tri-light lamp. They work fine.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Depends on the size of the base I guess.
    This is a conventional tri-light.

You do know you can put a regular bulb in a tri-light and they'll work just fine, yes?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by suntan
    You do know you can put a regular bulb in a tri-light and they'll work just fine, yes?
    Yes, they work fine as a regular bulb, but if the threaded part of the base is a bit large like in the case I mentioned a few posts back, and it contacts the low hot contact, ZAP!

I bought a few more Phillips Soft White bulbs (the flat ones)...does anyone notice they make an occasional clicking noise after you turn them off? Both of mine do it (one in a bedside lamp, one in a regular light hosing in my den). I don't care about the noise, but I want to make sure they aren't going to be a hazard.

The clicking sounds exactly like an electric fence clicking, for those of you who have heard that. It's not loud, and happens a few times after I turn them off.

Starting to convert as compact fluorescents burn out - did the dining room a few weeks ago with Cree 60W LED's - am quite happy with the and no buzzing/clicking. Picked them up for $11.97 at Home Depot...

Have also had Cree 65W floods installed in an outside motion fixture since early January and they're still going 100% - by this time I would've replaced at least one if not two halogens ion the same fixture due to vibration issues.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Interesting discussion of LED lighting technology and pricing from an economist standpoint.

http://arcfinancial.com/research/ene...r-a-third-time
    Originally posted by ARC Energy Research - Aug 19, 2014.
    LED Lights: Fire For a Third Time August 19, 2014

Here is an energy trend that is starting to light up: Light emitting diodes (LEDs) are gaining momentum to displace Edison’s 130 year-old bulb and filament paradigm.

In fact, the pattern of innovation for LEDs shows remarkable parallels to light bulbs over a century ago. Our feature chart this week shows the evolution of the LED cost curve, which is looking a lot like a flash back.

“When Edison… snatched up the spark of Prometheus in his little pear-shaped glass bulb, it meant that fire had been discovered for the second time, that mankind had been delivered again from the curse of the night,” noted the famous historian Emil Ludwig.

Many millennia ago humans learned to harness flames for heat and light. Fireplaces, torches, lamps and lanterns using different fuels evolved over time. In the 1880s, Edison and other competitors commercialized the first glowing filaments in glass bulbs. New energy systems and infrastructure based on electricity were established. By the early-20th century the era of using open flames for light was about to be extinguished.

Another hundred years have passed. Now we ask: Will silicon-based LEDs penetrate homes, factories and streetlights like light bulbs? Are we witnessing the birth of the third era of lighting in human history? If yes, then upstream purveyors of energy for power generation should take note. About 12% of electrical power goes to lighting up our society, so major changes at the switch and socket are consequential right up the supply line to the coal pit, gas well or even wind turbine.
    August 19, 2014
    The adoption of electric light bulbs took off around 1907, after many parallel improvements, including quality, efficiency, reliability, ease-of-use and availability of supporting infrastructure. As with most product introductions, sales momentum came when the price to consumers fell below the competitive threshold of the incumbents. In other words, when light bulbs became cheaper to operate than most coal gas lamps, kerosene lanterns and even candles.

Edison’s seminal, 45-hour light bulb experiment was on October 21st, 1879. Yet it took 30 years before the commercial prospects for displacing incumbents began to look brighter. On a parallel time scale, shifted forward by a century, LEDs were first commercially demonstrated in the early 1970s. Pulsar came out with the first LED watch with iconic red dotted lights in 1972. Once again it took 30 years, into the early 2000s, before white LEDs for general lighting were starting to demonstrate commercial promise. Like Edison’s experience in 1879, high cost, light quality, reliability and even infrastructure (LEDs run on low voltage) were the issues that this new type of lighting had to overcome.

Figure 1 shows the price of 60W light bulbs starting in 1907, the year after compelling tungsten filaments began being introduced. Over the span of 30 years, costs dropped from $1.75 per 60W bulb to $0.06. The logarithmic curve is classic and mimicked by the price of a 60W equivalent LED light since 2005 (overlaid on Figure 1). Back then, only a diehard early adopter would consider paying $189.82 to unscrew a 50 cent light bulb in favour of an LED. But today, hardware stores are peddling the new lights with promotions at lower and lower prices. The US Energy Information Agency projects the LED cost curve 20 years out, which we have displayed in our feature chart (Figure 1).

Three compelling features provide further incentive to buy: longevity, cosmetics (think Christmas lights and accents), and efficiency. The latter is most consequential to power generators, because an LED can deliver the same amount of light as an incandescent using only one-sixth the amount of electricity.

But that’s not all.

Because of the gross inefficiency of electrical power generation, a unit of electricity saved at the consuming end cascades into a multiple units of energy saved at the source. In other words, there is an amplified ‘demand destruction’ of primary energy sources every time somebody swaps a light bulb with an LED equivalent. This is especially consequential to inefficient, flame-fired coal and natural gas plants that are on average 29% and 42% efficient in converting their molecules into electricity.

This trend is essential to watch carefully. Notionally, accelerating adoption of LED lights should contribute to the trend of slowing growth of electrical power consumption in developed countries. In turn, the cascading nature efficiency gains will impact suppliers of coal and natural gas harder.

But there is a caveat: If this third generation of lighting really catches fire, history teaches us that consumers will probably buy more LEDs than the incandescent bulbs they replace. Since more lights consume more power, this potential "Rebound Effect" could burn up all of the LED efficiency gains. Within a few years, we will start to see how the LED adoption trends come to light.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by speedog
    Starting to convert as compact fluorescents burn out - did the dining room a few weeks ago with Cree 60W LED's - am quite happy with the and no buzzing/clicking. Picked them up for $11.97 at Home Depot...

Have also had Cree 65W floods installed in an outside motion fixture since early January and they're still going 100% - by this time I would've replaced at least one if not two halogens ion the same fixture due to vibration issues.
    Love those. Shame the 100w equivs are so pricey. They should come down eventually.

Finally found some reasonably priced BR30 LED bulbs, and replaced the 2 CFLs in our ensuite. They were ok, but took 30 seconds to warm up.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Monoprice has their:
    270° 10-Watt (60W Equivalent) A 19 LED Bulb, 810 Lumens, Cool/ Daylight (6000K) - Non-Dimmable (6-Pack)
    for $42, or $7 each, assuming you are either in the USA, or heading down for something so you don't have to pay the high shipping to Canada.

No warranty, but at that price, that's probably not a big deal.

I think if I could get daylight 60W equivalent bulbs for $5, I'd convert the whole house. I've decided I really like the daylight colour of our current LED's n the kitchen. Plus, since I'm paying to run AC for half the year, it seems like it makes sense to get bulbs that put out less heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by The_Penguin

Yes. Good to know, should hit Canada eventually.
    I saw them at Home Depot last week.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Monoprice shipping isn't too much to Canada for these bulbs.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Eh? Just looked, and it's $11 bucks shipping on $42 worth of bulbs. That's not super. I added one thing that I've been meaning to pick up, and it got too large for a "small packet" price, and was $33 bucks shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

rona had some 60 watt on clearance for $5 each(YMMV)

My Ride
    Grimace

The slimstyle philips are on sale at homedepot for $10 until whenever, $2 off

Originally posted by redx2nv
    rona had some 60 watt on clearance for $5 each(YMMV)
    Any details, model #, and location?

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast