Quantcast
Anyone use a personal safe? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone use a personal safe?

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Default Anyone use a personal safe?

Anyone keep their money in a safe in their house? I hate banks and the (at most) few hundred dollars a year you can accrue in interest isn't worth it to me, I'd rather have it all readily available in my home and suitable amounts in my pocket when I go out. Aside from the convenience of plastic, give me some scenarios you know of where safes are used. I want to buy one but what's to stop someone from breaking in, picking it up and running away with it? Most of them are pretty light personal sizes. And if I want it built in, what do I say to the developer of my future house when I hand him a safe and tell him to put it in the concrete flooring in the basement? I just want to know how this is done for the people as paranoid as me!
    Originally posted by adamc
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.

My Ride
    0 - 60 In 10 minutes.

Put it in the concrete yourself. Most also come with bolts on the back that you can bolt it right into an existing floor/wall.

I'm pretty sure if you put a safe in your house, you have to get more creative then that.. It has to go behind a picture, or even a bookshelf, thats code..

I once owned an old bank building in wetaskiwin. Came with both safes. If your looking for something that big I would suggest you seek out a professional company that has experience installing large safes. Surprisingly there are quite a few companyies that do this. Or do what I did buy an old bank building.

when i was living at home i bought a 12X12 inch Honeywell firesafe. in our basement we had a hole in our concrete floor with removable tiles. When we went on long vacations we put whatever valuables inside that safe and covered the tiles with a carpet.

it wasnt so much for home security, more just for peace of mind if our house caught fire.

However because i've moved around a fair bit in the last few years i've liked staying with the firesafes. Solid and fireproof. For wall safes i'd check to see what temp. they are rated at. no point in having a safe that could be lost to fire.

My Ride
    01' BMW 320i

In my friends house he has a safe in his basement floor,

He would put his birth certificates etc... in it that was sensative and maybe couple hundred bucks.

It was hidden under a fake tiled room and under a carpet.

Buddy of mine (old landlord) has a 5 foot tall safe he said goto Costco to get. even 4 big guys couldn't manage to move it that easily and I ended up getting the corner slammed on my big toe and downtown I went to get it checked out, they are heavy cunts.

he says you can bolt it in too if you really want to but his is so fucking heavy you wouldn't really need to in the first place unless your really worried.