Quantcast
Best RRSPs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best RRSPs

My Ride
    Fast Car

Lightbulb Best RRSPs

Thinking about investing in some RRSPs right away.

Has anyone looked into this recently? What are some of the best RRSPs available now?

My Ride
    V8 Toy

There aren't any "best RRSPs" as RRSPs are a tax-deferred savings account. There are actually two types of RRSP you are looking at... self directed or not. Self directed gives you the flexibility to invest in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds whereas a regular RRSP from a bank rep will allow you to access mutual funds/bonds only (as they are not licensed for stocks).

If you're just starting out... put it into a good fund. There are 1000s of mutual funds out there on top of what the banks can give you.

Happy Investing!
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    Bicycle

With current market "adjustment", there's no better time to invest in some RRSP.

If you're new to this, I would just talk to your bank for some advice and invest in a bank mutual fund.

Their performance is posted on their websites.

For me... Mutual Funds are evil. Almost 75% of them never even match the index.

Originally posted by liquid1010
    For me... Mutual Funds are evil. Almost 75% of them never even match the index.
    I dunno...I've been buying mutual fund RRSP's for the past dozen years or so. The one Im currently putting money into has been giving me almost 12% return for the past 3 years.

Originally posted by Maddog55

I dunno...I've been buying mutual fund RRSP's for the past dozen years or so. The one Im currently putting money into has been giving me almost 12% return for the past 3 years.
    What fund!? lol lol

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Bimmer88

What fund!? lol lol
    Most of my Canadian funds with TD and RBC returned 12-20%/yr for the past 3 years.

Of course, most of that was wiped out last week but that's another story.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Most of my Canadian funds with TD and RBC returned 12-20%/yr for the past 3 years.

Of course, most of that was wiped out last week but that's another story.
    Wait but is it 12% every year? and Specifically what fund... lol I currently am investing with TD and would love to get 12% but don't know what fund to invest it.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

There are thousands of funds on the market. A lot of the success has to do with cycles and trends, kind of like a what's hot and what's not.

High volatility mutual funds in sectors such as Precious Metals, Energy, and Emerging Markets have yielded on average of >20% the past 5 years. But the previous 5 years, they weren't doing anything.

The Canadian Dividend funds have grown steadily on average >10% the past 5-10 years. Buying a mutual fund is no different than a stock, it helps if you buy it on corrections as the price is a lot lower.

www.globefund.com for all your mutual fund graphs, returns, research etc.

These are what I'm holding right now.

RBC Global Precious Metals
    http://www.globefund.com/servlet/Pag...gf.02270155444

RBC Canadian Dividend
    http://www.globefund.com/servlet/Pag...gf.02270155444

TD Emerging Markets
    http://www.globefund.com/servlet/Pag...gf.02356479384
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Also wanted to add, as my friend said, slow and steady wins the race. Building wealth is like watching grass grow, it doesn't happen over night. You have to be patient. I got burnt hard in 2007 (along with a lot of other people) trying to strike it rich. It just doesn't work like that damn it! It is with such humbleness to say I learned a lot about investing this year. Losing 35% of your portfolio will do that to you.
    I am user #49

Wait but is it 12% every year? and Specifically what fund... lol I currently am investing with TD and would love to get 12% but don't know what fund to invest it.
    Sorry..I was mistaken...I've been averaging over 15% return...annually for the past 4 years.

BMO Dividend Fund

Sorry..I was mistaken...I've been averaging over 15% return...annually for the past 4 years.

BMO Dividend Fund
    Well I agree 14% is a lot in 4 years... but if it's 14% EVERY year... like year 1 year 2 year 3 year 4... then you'd be making a lot more money correct?

Rule of 72... and in order for that to be true you'd have to earn atleast 12% every year for your money to double in 6 years or so.
    But that's a good portfolio.

I was looking at the TD Latin America fund and it's like at 42% or something... and I thought that was INSANE! but definitely high risk... I'm gonna post up the link for it, and you guys can tell me what you think of it.

Steve

EDIT:

This one...

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/Co...ICE&PID=5&SI=4

Oh and one more thing.

If you guys analyze the market... it's always on a upward slope.

http://www.andexcharts.com/c_ewall.htm

There's an Andex Chart showing you so. So right now would be an awesome time to buy! because if you look at 1980s the market dropped, and now what if you were that guy that bought at the bottom of that market and look at 50 years later... damn you would of made A LOT of money.
    Last edited by Bimmer88; 01-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Maybe Rav4guy would know this, but are the funds returns quoted before fees or after fees?

You also have to factor in inflation of at least 3% into your returns.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Originally posted by Canmorite
    Maybe Rav4guy would know this, but are the funds returns quoted before fees or after fees?

Well isn't inflation 4% for all of Canada... and in Calgary realistically its like 6% lol...

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Well I agree 14% is a lot in 4 years... but if it's 14% EVERY year... like year 1 year 2 year 3 year 4... then you'd be making a lot more money correct?

Rule of 72... and in order for that to be true you'd have to earn atleast 12% every year for your money to double in 6 years or so.
    But that's a good portfolio.

I was looking at the TD Latin America fund and it's like at 42% or something... and I thought that was INSANE! but definitely high risk... I'm gonna post up the link for it, and you guys can tell me what you think of it.

Steve

EDIT:

This one...

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/Co...PID=5&SI=4

Oh and one more thing.

If you guys analyze the market... it's always on a upward slope.

http://www.andexcharts.com/c_ewall.htm

There's an Andex Chart showing you so. So right now would be an awesome time to buy! because if you look at 1980s the market dropped, and now what if you were that guy that bought at the bottom of that market and look at 50 years later... damn you would of made A LOT of money.
    Yes that is 14% every year.

Just so you know, past performance is no guarantee for future performance. Do your research and get to know the funds objectives and overall volatility in the region. I wanted a more diversified fund so I went for the Emerging markets fund which has holdings in Europe, South Africa, Asia and South America.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Canmorite

Well isn't inflation 4% for all of Canada... and in Calgary realistically its like 6% lol...
    at least 3%.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Originally posted by max_boost

Yes that is 14% every year.

Just so you know, past performance is no guarantee for future performance. Do your research and get to know the funds objectives and overall volatility in the region. I wanted a more diversified fund so I went for the Emerging markets fund which has holdings in Europe, South Africa, Asia and South America.
    Yeh but how come 2007 it says like

Total return % 1.8

Unless I'm reading it wrong but w.e. still a very good fund for sure.

And your right about the past performance doesn't mean shit all about future performance because it all has to do with principles of micro and macro economics.

and Canmorite yeh I know what you ment I was just buggin you lol

But that's a good portfolio..
    I'm not up on all the technical aspects of it. I'm not sure I get you though....that BMO fund did 23/15/20/12 percent...only the last year brought the average down. That is better than 14/14/14/14 like you mentioned.

But having a fund that maintains a steady raise isn't necessarily the best. If you are buying funds on a monthly basis..then a fund that fluxuates up and down will make you more money in the long run...because you are, half the time, buying funds when they are really cheap...getting that many more shares for your dollar...than if it's continually rising. Just going on what my financial advisor was telling me.

I'm not up on all the technical aspects of it. I'm not sure I get you though....that BMO fund did 23/15/20/12 percent...only the last year brought the average down. That is better than 14/14/14/14 like you mentioned.

But having a fund that maintains a steady raise isn't necessarily the best. If you are buying funds on a monthly basis..then a fund that fluxuates up and down will make you more money in the long run...because you are, half the time, buying funds when they are really cheap...getting that many more shares for your dollar...than if it's continually rising. Just going on what my financial advisor was telling me.
    Yeh I know 14/14/14/14 isn't the best but I'm just saying if it's like that it's very good and stable but hey I'm not complaining if it's 14/20/15/16 etc... that's good too but when it drops below 14 isn't not so well but your still getting a good return.

As for buying when it's cheap that's a REALLY good idea lol... and 1 million today may be a lot but when I'm 40 or so it's probably nothing due to inflation and the high cost of living... Especially with housing here in Calgary... a decent house could range from 500k to 1 mill and that one house on pump hill? 22 mil... jesus.

I have an investment that is an RRSP protected bond at 8%/yr plus a 100% return on my investment over 2-5yrs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast