Quantcast
Post-Secondary Graduates Unemployed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post-Secondary Graduates Unemployed

Default Post-Secondary Graduates Unemployed

With the whole economic situation and huge job cuts continuing, I have been finding it very difficult to find any employment relating to my studies. Although I have not graduated from my degree yet, I have been looking really hard for the last month (daily). I do currently have a job (not career related) though. I haven't even been able to obtain interviews since most of the current jobs available I've been applying at require quite a bit of experience. I've gotten resume help, tried employment agencies and none of it has helped. I took accounting in school and this is suppose to be a field with easy opportunities. Been extremely frustrating.

Just want to know who else is in the same situation?
    Last edited by WWJAI; 01-16-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Default Re: Post-Secondary Graduates Unemployed

Originally posted by WWJAI
    With the whole economic situation and huge job cuts continuing, I have been finding it very difficult to find any employment relating to my studies. Although I have not graduated from my degree yet, I have been looking really hard for the last month (daily). I do currently have a job (not career related) though. I haven't even been able to obtain interviews since most of the current jobs available I've been applying at require quite a bit of experience. I've gotten resume help, tried employment agencies and none of it has helped. I took accounting in school and this is suppose to be a field with easy opportunities. Been extremely frustrating.

Just want to know who else is in the same situation?
    Don't give up. At the end of the day, someone out there will need someone like you. Perhaps you may not find a job that is close to what you are looking for (in terms of pay and function), but it is worth considering those as well. When looking for work:
    1. Customize each cover letter you write to each job: write down the strengths you have vis a vis those listed on the posting
    2. Talk to people you know (friends, family) and ask if their companies are hiring and are willing to put in a referral for you. Even an internship (given that you have a job now) would, and will lead towards full time employment
    3. Search for work on companies' websites. While newspapers and employment agencies are also good, there is no cost associated with companies when they post their jobs directly on their sites. Cost cutting could mean directly hiring staff for companies

Thanks for the advice ee2k. I definitely won't be giving up. I have been looking at a lot of corporate websites and have come across a couple good opportunities which I hope I can at least land an interview for.

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

The first one's the hardest man. Keep pluggin away, somebody will bite.

Originally posted by SteveMo600
    The first one's the hardest man. Keep pluggin away, somebody will bite.
    Actually I have a little bit of experience already. Just a bit over a year but so many employers right now want 3+ years experience even for easy entry-level/junior positions. Keeping my hopes up...

Actually I have a little bit of experience already. Just a bit over a year but so many employers right now want 3+ years experience even for easy entry-level/junior positions. Keeping my hopes up...
    Look at it from a different angle. Fellow job applicants may apply for junior/entry level jobs, but companies may see them as a flight risk when times get better or when other opportunities come up, and would rather hire someone with less experience that will stay and grow within.

Keep at it, and let us know how it turns out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Re: Re: Post-Secondary Graduates Unemployed

Originally posted by ee2k
    1. Customize each cover letter you write to each job: write down the strengths you have vis a vis those listed on the posting
    This can make a big difference. A good cover letter takes about an hour to modify for each job.
    Search the corporate website and job posting to find out what's important to that corporation and it's management. Be specific about what makes you a great candidate.
    i.e.
    - If the company makes a big deal about community values, emphasize your volunteer work.
    - If they have five pages of safety info on the website, talk about times in your work experience hen you've had direct involvement in safety initiatives.

The first job is tough to get, no matter what your education is in.

If you do get an interview, find out everything you can about the person who is going to be interviewing you. For me, I always like to find out a persons hobbies and where they grew up. It allows me to make small talk during the interview and the whole process goes smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

where are you looking? Just the big firms downtown?

Small company's need book keepers/accts payable people. This may give you the experience you need to get into a bigger company. Plus, the experience you learn at small company working under an experienced accountant/controller is valuable.

The banks also have a position for you in commerical/corporate because of your understanding of statements and cash flow. Look there to.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

Default Re: Re: Re: Post-Secondary Graduates Unemployed

If you do get an interview, find out everything you can about the person who is going to be interviewing you. For me, I always like to find out a persons hobbies and where they grew up. It allows me to make small talk during the interview and the whole process goes smoother. [/B]
    Be careful not to take this one overboard. I recall reading in a paper a while back about people facebooking interviewers and going all buddy buddy, to only make the recruiter feel not at ease. Must always remain professional. And some people are trully offended by others researching/learning about them due to privacy reasons.

Small company's need book keepers/accts payable people. This may give you the experience you need to get into a bigger company. Plus, the experience you learn at small company working under an experienced accountant/controller is valuable.
    I agree with this as well. This will also allow you to work within a company where competition among peers is lower, and your ability to reach higher ranks within a shorter period is increased. If you do accounting work for a small company, you will also get to work in all aspects of the company's accounting needs. And I hear pay can be better in certain cases too.

where did you go to take accounting? have you tried your school's career sites?

You should try http://www.friday.ab.ca/
    My sister is also in the accounting field, and she found a job from them.
    I think basically what it is, it is the middle man between you and the employer.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Two pieces of advice:

1. Many business owners/managers will hire the right candidate regardless of experience if he comes through the door. I may be looking for someone with 5 years experience but if the resume looks good, the candidate looks good, and the interview clicks, he's in.

2. Apply for as many jobs as you can within your field and exude confidence during the interviews. Each job that you don't get is one extra 'experience interview' for the one that you will get. You'd be surprise at how few people are actually confident in interviews. If you can master that skill you'll be way ahead of the game.

Originally posted by xcelr8
    I think basically what it is, it is the middle man between you and the employer.
    My buddy works for Friday. If you want I'll see what he can do

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think it's the under 30 curse.

We are probably mirroring US where under 30 has a unemployment rate around 10% instead of the average of 6%.

It's tougher when you are now competing against more experienced out of work people.

Have you tried to see if you find some AP jobs just to get your foot in? Which school's degree (which you have not got yet)?

I would recommend finishing the degree and try again. Just be thankful that you are not an engineer.

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    where are you looking? Just the big firms downtown?
    I'm not looking at working for accounting firms. Mainly medium to large companies. (I did still want into the oil and gas industry even though now is now the best time)

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    My first accounting job with my accounting diploma was actually through Friday Personnel. The only thing I did not like about Friday was they refuse to tell you which company you will be working for unless you accept the described position they give you. I have since tried Robert Half and Randstad but no results. Will be giving them a call this week again.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    We are probably mirroring US where under 30 has a unemployment rate around 10% instead of the average of 6%.

It's tougher when you are now competing against more experienced out of work people.

Have you tried to see if you find some AP jobs just to get your foot in? Which school's degree (which you have not got yet)?
    That is exactly what I have been thinking about. There are so much more experienced unemployed individuals right now which makes my chances much slimmer. Most the jobs I have been applying at are for A/P positions. All I want is to get my foot in the door. I find it ridiculous how employers look for 2-3+ years experience for entry level positions. Having done A/P before (4 months), any half- component individual can perform the position without even having to think properly.

I will be graduating from SAIT with a Bachelor of Applied Business Admin. degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I will be graduating from SAIT with a Bachelor of Applied Business Admin. degree.
    Doesn't that include a couple of work terms? Won't SAIT help?

Originally posted by Xtrema

Doesn't that include a couple of work terms? Won't SAIT help?
    Yes it included a couple work terms. I had an 8 month work term with the CRA but made the mistake of going back to school full-time to finish more education instead of extending my contract. Since then, there has been a hiring freeze so I don't have an opportunity there. SAIT only provides help with work terms and on their student employment website. I keep looking on a regular basis hoping a job opportunity will show up for new graduates.

Thanks for all the advice y'all.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

My first accounting job with my accounting diploma was actually through Friday Personnel. The only thing I did not like about Friday was they refuse to tell you which company you will be working for unless you accept the described position they give you. I have since tried Robert Half and Randstad but no results. Will be giving them a call this week again.
    Don't be so picky man, everyone wants a dream job, but straight out of school (esp now) take the first thing thats handed your way. You might luck out, but even a bad job is a foot in the door somewhere else, you can be picky when you have a solid paycheck.

A few of my friends who graduated last fall held out for good jobs... and most of them are now stuck in shitty retail jobs because of the hiring freeze.

When you get the interview just make sure they know you have a lot of drive and you'll be a good investment (even if you're full of shit )

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by thrasher22

Don't be so picky man, everyone wants a dream job, but straight out of school (esp now) take the first thing thats handed your way. You might luck out, but even a bad job is a foot in the door somewhere else, you can be picky when you have a solid paycheck.

A few of my friends who graduated last fall held out for good jobs... and most of them are now stuck in shitty retail jobs because of the hiring freeze.

When you get the interview just make sure they know you have a lot of drive and you'll be a good investment (even if you're full of shit )
    that exactly what i was thinking, don't be picky ... during these economic times, its hard to find a job... im currently with a oil and gas company, and they have a hiring freeze right now.

A lot of jobs will post they want 3+ years experience but don't let that deter you. I'd still apply and if you interview well, your schooling already shows you are dedicated and trained, there is still a chance they will hire you.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast