Quantcast
Filing Bankruptcy in Canada - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Filing Bankruptcy in Canada

Last edited by Cos; 01-02-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'd be curious to know how many of the people giving advice here have actually been through bankruptcy, or have seen it first hand...

If you plan on being a credit card baller like half of this forum, then yes, bankruptcy is not the best option for you. It is not, however, the financial suicide some would have you believe.

It's very easy to research the good and bad side effects this will have on your life. But your best bet is to consult a professional, not an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

There are many cases where bankruptcy is your best option. In my opinion yours is not one of those. But since it's already crossing your mind, professional advice would do you some good.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

If you plan on being a member of a professional association it could be a problem.
    I am a CGA, and every year with my annual dues payment i am asked if i filed for bankruptcy.... now i'm not sure what issues this could bring if i ever did.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by nickyh
    If you plan on being a member of a professional association it could be a problem.
    I am a CGA, and every year with my annual dues payment i am asked if i filed for bankruptcy.... now i'm not sure what issues this could bring if i ever did.
    They take away your CGA status because if you have to file then it's obvious you suck too much with financial matters to be a CGA.

In reality, it sounds like they simply want to monitor the proceedings in order to decide whether or not to investigate any violations in the code of ethics.
    Last edited by codetrap; 08-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Originally posted by codetrap
    They take away your CGA status because if you have to file then it's obvious you suck too much with financial matters to be a CGA.

In reality, it sounds like they simply want to monitor the proceedings in order to decide whether or not to investigate any violations in the code of ethics.
    This applies to many professional associations, not just the CGA. P.Eng for example which has little to do with "sucking at financial matters".

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by ramminghard
    This applies to many professional associations, not just the CGA. P.Eng for example which has little to do with "sucking at financial matters".
    Not true. I know a Lawyer and a Engineer that both went through bankruptcy and did not lose their professional standing.

My Ride

Originally posted by ramminghard
    Hopefully, it was clear to you that I was kidding about the first part.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

I wouldn't trust a Engineer or a Lawyer who has filled Bankruptcy, they should be able to handle their own finances as a minimum..

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by silvercivicsir
    I wouldn't trust a Engineer or a Lawyer who has filled Bankruptcy, they should be able to handle their own finances as a minimum..
    Why not? bankruptcy may have been part of how they planned to handle their finances. there is nothing illegal or immoral about bankruptcy; posting in threads like this without having a clue about what you are talking about should be illegal.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

wow really? part of how they planned to handle their finances?? To me, it shows they are incompetent to handle their own finances, and most likely would be incompetent in handling their professional duties.. but that's just me.

Originally posted by rizfarmer

Why not? bankruptcy may have been part of how they planned to handle their finances. there is nothing illegal or immoral about bankruptcy; posting in threads like this without having a clue about what you are talking about should be illegal.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

There are some other options. I would avoid bankruptcy but I would consult an insolvency firm.

The counseling admins at those firms can help you a lot.

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    I'd be curious to know how many of the people giving advice here have actually been through bankruptcy, or have seen it first hand...

If you plan on being a credit card baller like half of this forum, then yes, bankruptcy is not the best option for you. It is not, however, the financial suicide some would have you believe.

It's very easy to research the good and bad side effects this will have on your life. But your best bet is to consult a professional, not an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

There are many cases where bankruptcy is your best option. In my opinion yours is not one of those. But since it's already crossing your mind, professional advice would do you some good.
    Thought I'd pop in here for a laugh and lo and behold I see the most intelligent post above. Nothing more needs to be said.

/thread.

wow really? part of how they planned to handle their finances?? To me, it shows they are incompetent to handle their own finances, and most likely would be incompetent in handling their professional duties.. but that's just me.

Perfect example of someone who jumps to conclusions and opens their yap without probably any experience in the topic at all.

Bankruptcies can be the result of OTHER companies who don't pay their bills. I've seen many a small business get burned by others, which in turn bankrupts them.

IE: A small business (engineer, lawyer, etc) takes on a HUGE client. Biggest contract ever...takes up 6 months of manpower, etc. Huge firm goes tits up and can't pay the small business. Burns them for half a million dollars. Small business has no choice but to claim bankruptcy.
    This somehow translates into "incompetent to handle their own finances"?
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 08-01-2012 at 06:29 PM.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

yea really, what's not to understand? again, bankruptcy is an option available to individuals as a means to deal with their finances. Of course it should usually be the last option, but the fact that you feel a professional is incompetent for claiming personal bankruptcy has fuck all to do with anything. How would you know if the engineer that designed the building you are sitting in isn't bankrupt??

I don't see the connection between personal finance and the ability to perform your duties as a lawyer or engineer.

Now, if a lawyer cheated the bar, or if an engineer was known to cut corners in design or construction, then what would probably be grounds to not trust said professional.
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    yea really, what's not to understand? again, bankruptcy is an option available to individuals as a means to deal with their finances. Of course it should usually be the last option, but the fact that you feel a professional is incompetent for claiming personal bankruptcy has fuck all to do with anything. How would you know if the engineer that designed the building you are sitting in isn't bankrupt??

I don't see the connection between personal finance and the ability to perform your duties as a lawyer or engineer.

Now, if a lawyer cheated the bar, or if an engineer was known to cut corners in design or construction, then what would probably be grounds to not trust said professional.
    Bankruptcy is essentially cheating your creditors out of the money you owe them. I wouldn't trust anyone that planned to cheat someone else as part of a "sound financial strategy". Goes to showing the type of character they have, after all, if they're willing to cut corners in their personal finance..... what else are they willing to cut corners on. And if they went bankrupt due to incompetence at financial matters.. then well.... perhaps they're not so terribly competent at other things.

It really depends on the reason they had to declare, but I would expect a highly paid professional with years of training to keep their shit together in ALL aspects of their lives.
    Last edited by codetrap; 08-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Its socially acceptable in the US. Donald Trump filed 4 times, so far.

Sometimes you have winner and sometimes you have losers, if you have creditors that are stupid enough to put money into a loser - then how is that your fault?

I'm very surprised the Donald did not run for presidency, he would be a perfect fit for the US - experiment like crazy, go into massive debts and then just print more money (and make a jar of peanut butter cost $20) It worked before, it will always work in the future right? Canada wouldn't dare call out the US on that.
    Cocoa $8,000 per tonne.

My Ride

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Its socially acceptable in the US. Donald Trump filed 4 times, so far.

Sometimes you have winner and sometimes you have losers, if you have creditors that are stupid enough to put money into a loser - then how is that your fault?

I'm very surprised the Donald did not run for presidency, he would be a perfect fit for the US - experiment like crazy, go into massive debts and then just print more money (and make a jar of peanut butter cost $20) It worked before, it will always work in the future right? Canada wouldn't dare call out the US on that.
    He has never filed for personal bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy is essentially cheating your creditors out of the money you owe them. I wouldn't trust anyone that planned to cheat someone else as part of a "sound financial strategy". Goes to showing the type of character they have, after all, if they're willing to cut corners in their personal finance..... what else are they willing to cut corners on. And if they went bankrupt due to incompetence at financial matters.. then well.... perhaps they're not so terribly competent at other things.

It really depends on the reason they had to declare, but I would expect a highly paid professional with years of training to keep their shit together in ALL aspects of their lives.
    A lot of people go bankrupt due to companies they are consulting for don't or can't pay them.

He has never filed for personal bankruptcy.
    Doesn't matter, he did personally benefit from the bankruptcies.

Winner companies get to keep their money, loser companies go bankrupt and all of the monetary loss is placed upon the stupid ass creditors.

This does create a problem when "commodity houses" like MF global and PFG go bankrupt. When you order up a hundred thousand tons or so of corn for your business, and it doesn't show up - that is a problem. But if Facebook or a Trump company goes bankrupt its no big deal.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-01-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Cocoa $8,000 per tonne.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3