Quantcast
Flickr "Your Best Shot 2015" Group - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Flickr "Your Best Shot 2015" Group

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Default Flickr "Your Best Shot 2015" Group

This new Flickr sponsored group popped up on the sidebar today, I was going to join until I read the fine print:

2. Photo(s) that you submit to the Group are referred to as “Content.” You retain ownership to any Content you submit to the Group, however, you grant Yahoo a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license (but not the obligation), with the right to sublicense, use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) in connection with: (a) Yahoo Services, including syndication of Yahoo Services meaning distribution of a Yahoo product or player on a third party site, service, product, application or platform; (b) promotion of the Group via Yahoo owned media properties and third party social media platforms; and (c) advertising and promotional activity of Yahoo Services (in all mediums and any media now known or hereafter developed,) including but not limited to, social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), blog posts, Flickr galleries via links to social media efforts, email communications, and PR efforts (press affiliates via broadcast and digital). Yahoo Services is defined as the collection of resources offered by Yahoo, including without limitation various apps, products, communications tools, forums, shopping services, search services, personalized content and branded programming through Yahoo’s network of properties which may be accessed through any various medium or device now known or hereafter developed.
    Basically they can modify your photo in any way they want, and use it for almost any purpose they want to in the Yahoo empire or sub license it to someone else.

This is in contrast to their FAQ which states

Q: I want some additional exposure for my favorite photo. Will you show it anywhere outside of the group?

A: ...Finally, as noted in the rules, we may use a selection of lower-resolution versions of the selected photos on our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+) to promote the selections.
    The FAQ talks about sharing low res versions on social media channels, when in reality they can use them for any purpose they'd like. Seems ironic that a service for photographers is using the guise of a "prestigious" group to obtain free use of everyone's best photographs. I don't do any photography for cash, but this sort of thing just pisses me off.

I saw that the other day, pretty crazy if you read the fine print.

My Ride
    rally pig

pretty much why people should be very careful and read the fine prints carefully.

curious to see what will happen to flickr with all the financial troubles yahoo is having.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Wow. That's just straight up betting on people not reading that. That's brutal.

I believe Facebook has something similar. Though I doubt it would ever be enforced.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by msommers
    Wow. That's just straight up betting on people not reading that. That's brutal.

I believe Facebook has something similar. Though I doubt it would ever be enforced.
    That's why I have never really uploaded anything to Facebook directly except pictures of my family and stuff. If Flickr started going to a similar TOU for all of their uploads I would rethink how I shared images.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I hear ya. The double edged sword is social media is a huge marketing machine. I really doubt Facebook would do anything with your photos but Flickr very obviously saying they will and have the right to is completely different, sadly.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Oh I'd still share via social media, I just wouldn't host on Flickr anymore. I'd use my website and link from there.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Definitely sneaky. Not many people read the fine print (as they well know), but you have nobody to blame but yourself if you choose not to and don't like the consequences. It gives flickr an "out" but it's shady for sure.

I've always disliked flickr from the very beginning, this doesn't surprise me too much.