Quantcast
CPL Glare - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: CPL Glare

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Question CPL Glare

So I've been having some issues lately... trying to use a CPL for the first time and I keep getting "glare". It happens on my "TechPro super slim CPL filter 58mm" with my 50mm f/1.4 or 75-300. I also find I am having difficulty with focus, but its probably me blaming my inexperience and shitty skills. I also notice a lot of my picture focus on the ground on the very bottom of the picture, again probably me being shitty. I find the glare hard to notice (With exception to the GTR picture, I kept getting that over and over again), until I look at the pictures on my computer.

I dont appear to be having issues with my 10-22 with the HOYA slim frame 77mm.

Is my TechPro junk? Do I just suck and need to find a better angle?

I haven't been using hoods on my camera. Would it help if I got them? I tried to purchase some from McBain, but they basically refused to sell them to me because they thought they were a waste of money.

Here are some pictures where I tried to use the CPL

(Under each picture I tried to include a zoomed picture of the glare area, this forum seems to hate my Imgur links....)

IMG_4337 by Richard Brown, on Flickr

IMG_4330 by Richard Brown, on Flickr

IMG_4643 by Richard Brown, on Flickr

IMG_4753 by Richard Brown, on Flickr

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Hoods might help as it looks like the glare isn't coming from a light source in the frame.

Easy way to check is when you see this glare happening, block the sun from hitting the front element with your hand (or jacket or something) and see if it goes away.

I have a feeling that your TechPro filter is most likely shit and the main cause of the problem. Probably internal reflection between the 2 pieces of glass.

Tech Pro filters are garbage, so that is the most likely culprit. Lens hoods also do a lot more than just block unwanted light, they are your first line of defense against bumps and damage. Manipulating CPL filters with a lens hood on can be a pain sometimes though.

For a decent cheap CPL, grab something from Hoya, Sigma, or Kenko.

My Ride

Thanks guys. I can definitely tell my Hoya is better quality.
    I'll get some hoods too. Will have to track done some online since the only place in lethbridge that stocks them won't sell them Even if the hood doesn't work I wanted them to provide some more protection.

Is there any good brands for hoods? Or just get canon ones?

$2.99 + free shipping - might as well try this one before buying a Canon one. If it's crap, who cares haha. Lots of positive reviews for knock-off hoods on Amazon.

50/1.4
    http://www.amazon.ca/niceeshop-Canon...71II+Lens+Hood

Also:

75-300
    http://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Canon-EF...T+60+Lens+Hood

10-22
    http://www.amazon.ca/Fotodiox-Dedica...W83E+Lens+Hood
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-08-2015 at 11:23 AM.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

I'm of the thought that it's where possible, go for the first party version. Probably doesn't matter for hoods, but I like them. Genuine lens caps feels nicer too.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride

Normally I would agree on most stuff. But considering Canon Canada has been out of stock for awhile now... I'll try the knock off. Its only $3, less than 1/20th the cost of the canon haha.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah I bought like a 5 pack of chinese 77mm lens caps off of ebay and they're ok.

Filters unfortunately you just can't cheap out on. It's either get a very good quality one, or don't use it at all. They tend to introduce glare, flare, weird colour casts etc and it's more hassle than it's worth using them.

I'll try to find where I found some genuine but cheaper filters. I remember the name of it initially made it sound sketchy lol.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Yeah, I bought those polarizers because I was in a rush before a vacation and wanted to try them.

Ordered the hoods.
    Ordered a hoya pro filter.
    Also a remote I've wanted for awhile.

Now just a good tripod and I should be good to just learn and stop buying haha.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by NoPulp
    Now just a good tripod and I should be good to just learn and stop buying haha.
    Haha, you keep telling yourself that. It becomes a disease.

Try Feisol for tripods, one of the best quality/dollar ratio.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My Sirui has been a good option as well and not very spendy either.

But yes gear becomes an addiction. Ask anyone here how they've managed to "downsize" their collection
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

I received 2/3 of my hoods. The third one was expected to take a super long time for some reason. oh well, it was cheap. 1 hood fits perfect, the other is pretty snug, not a big issue.

My CPL and remote on the other hand... I would not recommend vistek. I noticed they had a location in calgary and thought that would make things easier. The website said everything was in stock, 2 days later I get an email saying the remote is backordered. Angry at this point, but just give me my stuff. It said 3-5 business days until ship. 10 business days pass, still nothing. The email I got said contact them through email, so I did. No reply, wait 2 days send another email. No reply still after 2 days. Getting pretty annoyed. I haven't been charged, but I cant cancel. Guess I have to phone these morons.

Anyways, got a 70-200mm F4 L lens and it came with a "sunpak" UV filter. I took a couple pictures with the filter and hood on and I still get a bit of weird blue glare. Horrible picture, but this is the only picture I took with the filter, near the base on the left side there's a little streak.

Henderson by Richard Brown, on Flickr

My Ride
    Bicycle

Vistek sucks, in my opinion. Avoid if you can.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Sunpack also sucks, FYI. I'd just pull it off and see if you can re-create it or not.

I only use protective filters if I'm going to be in a sandy or saltwater environment, and even then I try to avoid them. The internet has strong opinions on both sides of the filter debate, but my side is right

If you want to use them, higher end ones like B+W MRC, Hoya HD, Nikon NC, etc are the only way to go.

That's the standard Vistek experience. They combine the highest prices with the worst service, and top it off with a bad return policy. Either buy online from big retailers like Amazon (for accessories this will almost always be best) or The Camera Store if you must have it locally. B&H is the best but the dollar sucks too much right now.

Sunpack is garbage, and you also shouldn't be using a UV filter on a DSLR. They can introduce unpleasant color casts and may be contributing to you problem. If you decide to use a protective filter, you want a completely neutral one, like Nikon NC or anything similar from the major quality brands. Just clear, multi-coated (for reflections) glass.

My Ride

Okay, that's what I thought about sunpak and haven't used it since. So far my experience with filters is avoid them, but the window glare on cars is annoying.

Am I the only one on the planet that isn't a huge fan of Amazon? Every ad just gives me the "sketchy vibe", shitty pictures with little description, wide range of review and low price just sends me so many red flags. I haven't been able to get on board with it...

Though my last order had a good experience. But amazon canada sucks for selection.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 10-26-2015 at 04:06 PM.

My Ride

Holy shit. Finally got Vistek to cancel my order. I sent them a bunch of emails and the wouldn't reply. It literally took them 2 weeks to cancel my order. NEVER AGAIN.

Anyways, let's try ordering this shit again...