Quantcast
Minimalist Zero Rise (Barefoot) Shoes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Zero Rise (Barefoot) Shoes

Default Minimalist Zero Rise (Barefoot) Shoes

Wondering if anyone has experimented with these shoes in their daily lives and what their experiences are...

I have broken my right ankle a few times now and it is so fucked I roll it at an absolutely minimum weekly. I have done and still am doing physio but the damn thing is so stretched out and weak, combined with being a bigger guy, no matter what I do if I step even slightly askew it folds over. Most times it does nothing and I carry on with my day, but it broke again a month and a half ago and I am so tired of dealing with this. Currently I am consulting with a surgeon but we all know how long it takes to get anything done in this country for stuff like this so I am trying to figure out how to keep living my life and not turn completely sedentary out of the anxiety I get from even something as simple as walking the dog.

Here is wear minimalist barefoot shoes (aka zero rise) come in...

It was suggested by someone I consider these types of shoes as a means of helping to attain better balance by way of having a more natural barefoot feel with you toes spreading apart naturally and your foot receiving much more feedback from the surface you are walking on helping you adjust and shift better along with a more natural angle to your foot strike. They also apparently help strengthen your foot muscles over time. I have to admit I was pretty skeptical but I also am at the point where I am willing to try just about anything so after a bunch of research I decided to order a pair and try them out. I went with a company called Xero and the model is the Prio in Suede. These are not the "toe shoes" but they do have a wide toe box with very thin soles so your toes spread apart naturally in the shoe and are extremely flexible with crazy feedback.

I have to say that while it is taking a little to get used to, I am really quite shocked how much I am enjoying wearing these. I definitely feel far more planted on the ground and way more stable. The sensation of feeling almost barefoot while wearing shoes is quite pleasant actually. No painful annoying pokes and stuff from rocks through the soles but you certainly detect everything underneath you. It is getting better and better every day too. My feet were sore early on but I am going through an entire day with them now and not feeling any foot pain and I can absolutely feel the muscles getting worked differently, even into my calves, but I think that is a good thing. I am out walking more again and my confidence getting around without feeling unstable is great compared to wearing even premium quality normal shoes.

Anyhow, I was just curious if anyone else has tried this kind of shoe and found improvements or if I am just drinking the snake oil haha!

What brand did you go with?

I wear a "barefoot" shoe while working out, and I feel way more balanced on heavy movements, but I haven't incorporated them into day to day life.

Do you have a wobble board? Not a physio but that can help on strengthening it even more. Been down the ankle surgery route more than a few times.

I do wear more minimal shoes but can't remember when I switched. I prefer no arch support and wide toes. Wouldn't go back, probably can't in honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you have a wobble board? Not a physio but that can help on strengthening it even more. Been down the ankle surgery route more than a few times.

I do wear more minimal shoes but can't remember when I switched. I prefer no arch support and wide toes. Wouldn't go back, probably can't in honesty.
    Yes I am finding the whole balance thing very legitimate for walking. I tried on my Nike shoes again that are designed for all day working and no love at all. Did not feel right after wearing these Xero's exclusively for the last bit.

I will look for a wobble board. That is one of the things I have heard as well but at this moment I would still probably fall on my ass haha! Much of the physio I am doing is to relearn balance.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post

I wear a "barefoot" shoe while working out, and I feel way more balanced on heavy movements, but I haven't incorporated them into day to day life.
    I got the Xero Prio in Suede as my first shoe. I might try some others too in different styles for different aspects.

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/shoes/prio-suede-men/

My Ride
    Family Hauler

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Talk to me about barefoot shoes. My right foot has had 5 surgeries on it and I struggle with sneakers. Do they have more freedom of movement? What's the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    Talk to me about barefoot shoes. My right foot has had 5 surgeries on it and I struggle with sneakers. Do they have more freedom of movement? What's the deal?
    That is my experience so far for sure using these Xero Prio's... The toe box is very generous and my toes can splay out and move freely just like I was barefoot, and I generally have a bit wider forefoot. The sole of the shoe has zero lift from back to front and are very thin to simulate walking barefoot. You can get some brands that actually have toes rather than a shoe box but I could not bring myself to going that far looks wise. Even with these you can kind of tell they are shaped a bit odder than most are used to but really it is minor to my eye.

You definitely feel the ground underneath you and you do not have cushioning which sounded counter intuitive to me, and in the beginning you will feel strain until the muscles develop back into your feet from years off wearing normal shoes. They say most people must progressively wear them in smaller increments getting longer and longer. I personally only took about a weeks to get to being comfortable wearing them as an all day shoe but I imagine it will be different for many people.

I will be the first to say it may not be the right shoe for everyone, but so far I am happy I went this route. I think you should give them a go with your eyes wide open on what to expect and if you do give them a fair effort and not just a one and done because it was a bit tougher at first. If it works for you like I am finding them, it is worth it.

Edit - On the website you can follow some links to read a bit... Ignore the propaganda crap that is inevitable with selling your brand, but you can glean some good info on minimalist shoes like these for sure.

https://xeroshoes.com/#
    Last edited by tirebob; 05-14-2024 at 12:01 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

does it hurt to step on pointy shit in these? or is it just more of the space in the toe section that makes the difference?

There was a time where I was wearing my active ankle support regularly after rolling my right ankle so many times playing v-ball.

Is the goal to strengthen the ankle or support while healing ?
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Real looking shoes?! Fuck I had a pair of those foot gloves back in the day, and both now and then I felt like such a tool lol.

Just may have to give these a try, thanks for sharing that.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    does it hurt to step on pointy shit in these? or is it just more of the space in the toe section that makes the difference?
    No not at all... You can just detect you are stepping on something. They have legit soles on them. Just not all the cushioning between the soles and your foot so they are flexible and flat. I mean if you stepped on a nail or something sure you would be fucked, but I am walking on rocks and shit no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    There was a time where I was wearing my active ankle support regularly after rolling my right ankle so many times playing v-ball.

Is the goal to strengthen the ankle or support while healing ?
    I think the goal is more overall stability because of the ability to naturally spread your toes while walking and also to strengthen the foot muscles because of being in a more natural barefoot position rather than raised at the heel, in turn helping your ankle. When using a brace you are not getting the development of ankle stability as much as just splinting it so it doesn't fold when if you have better balance in general your ankle will build up strength with normal use. At least that is how I am perceiving it. I am by no means educated on such matters but it seems intuitive to a degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Ask your physio about this:

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Real looking shoes?! Fuck I had a pair of those foot gloves back in the day, and both now and then I felt like such a tool lol.

No worries, don't pay full price either. There are lots of fitness influencers with discount codes for these puppies

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post

x2

I have a pair of: https://bearfoot.store/collections/u...-suede-low-top

When you could get them for under $100 cad.

I also have some cheapie pair off of amazon, I like the linked pair more. Never wore either outside, only in the gym.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I just bought xeros and I love them. It takes time to get used to. Using toe separators also takes time to wean into but is good for you and will assist in the long run.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    ^^ Fact Checked

The next Birkenstocks?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

I spent a few months backpacking around SE Asia in those Vibram Five Fingers when I was a wee lad. Absolutely a tool but everyone around me was a dirty hobo backpacker too so it worked out. Loved them to be honest.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Thanks Bob. I think i'm going to try a pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

The Vivi's are the OG's, but they're now pretty pricey.
    The Xero's seem like a good alternative

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast