Quantcast
Help Me Choose my next car :) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Choose my next car :)

Default Help Me Choose my next car :)

Hi, this is my first post, I would normally post on specific car forums...but it doesn't work when I'm trying to decide on what car to get since it always ends up the one that wins is the forum I'm on...anyways on with ths post...

Goal for Spring 2005 (or whenever the snow goes away in 2005) (but if I can get it before it's just as good)

Trying to upgrade from 2003 Spec V with sports package (selling this) to a (used) scar between 25-30K (up to) (in CANADIAN FUNDS) for an all year project car if boosted with diffrent boost for winter (IE -50C weather conditons) and summer, it'll be used as a Street, autox, track, and drag car...basically a street car I can have fun with

Trying to meet most of these critiera...
    With better reliability (a must)
    better interior/exterior (luxury/looks wise) (perferred)
    So trying to go up a step in luxury
    similar performance (this is a given)
    better aftermarket (a must)
    Similar or better fuel economy (if this is possible I'd be VERY happy)
    would like to try to get away from FWD...but with this price range it might not be possible...
    if RWD...should be boosted (with a smaller I4 engine) to avoid too much trouble in winter...
    MUST be manual
    Boost is nice
    Trying to avoid anymore ecnoboxes
    Oh MUST be available in a used car...I found out how badly new cars depreciated after I bought my spec v, lol...but atleast I own all of it

Cars that Made the Cut: "()" Personal Comments

RSX-S: (Looks good inside/out, awsome build quality, awsome aftermarket, good fuel economy, but it's FWD, and it's really really common but out of the cars that made it, has the best interior out of the cars I've chosen IMO, an engine that'll never break if I don't boost )

WRX: (AWD, Turbocharged, really good aftermarket, but crappy interior (that's something I REALLY REALLY dislike [it's worse than my spec v's], worse than Nissan quality paint and not so good fuel economy)

S13/S14: (RWD, 50/50 balance mmmmmm, tons of potential in both cars, they're built better than my Spec...Interior is meh, better than WRX...but it's still meh, S13s could be a little too old to be in really good condition, S14 is REALLY hard to find in a MT, but with the money saved I could make these into quite the street terrors, with rebuilt engines, and good reliablity since I'd beable to put the money into it)

IS300: (Most expensive out of the 4, the least aftermarket, the 2nd best interior IMO, most luxury, but also the heaviest. In terms of modding, there isn't alot engine wise to gain speed cept for boost, but I don't like the idea of boosting a normally N/A engine (even if it IS from the supra) w/o rebuilding it to personal specifications, which costs $$$$$$$, and could scacrifice alot of reliablity) (Heaviest out of all the cars, but it's RWD, which makes it fun )

Choices That didn't make it:

Keep spec v + turbo it :/ and say bye bye to traction, possibly blown engine, made in mexico quality.
    Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 T MT (Almost impossible to find in MT, without being extremely expensive)
    used TSX MT (aftermarket still hasn't picked up)
    Dodge Stealth AWD TT (iffy on the reliability)
    Z32 300ZX TT (this one might be REAL iffy haha)
    ST185 Toyota Celica Alltrac (heard reliablity is not the greatest on these things...and the amount of mainance required is high too)
    Used Mini Cooper S MT (yea right...people don't sell these things used)
    Possible Trade for a 2005 Legacy GT? (Boosted, AWD and sexy looking )(I think this one is REALLY pushing it out of my price range haha)
    R32 GTR/GTS-T (Maintance...reliability to be modified as a daily driver is questionable with my income...it'll probally cost me more than I want to pay to keep it running , Finding people to acctually WORK on the car is hard too.)

If you guys have any other suggestions or why something shouldn't be in the "didn't make it list" let me know I'm open to suggestions

id get a 300zx or a stealth if you didnt mind older cars but outta the ones you selected id probably go subaru. like you said far to many rsx-s around. shame, cause they are beautiful cars, and should never be made automatic and touch the hands of middle age women
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I don't mind the stealth, but I don't have endless funds to maintain it either, it's NOT a relabile daily driver, which is unfortunate.

the 300ZX is a nice car...but for the size + power it's too heavy and costs too make it go fast.

My Ride
    Nissan 300ZX NA (Z31)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder which one I'm thinkin about.....

300ZX TT man, definatly.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

lol, it was funny reading about all your gripes with the Spec V, always fun to hear about Nissan shortcomings

Anyways, out of the cars you've listed, I'd still have to go with my one and only favorite Nissan car the 300ZX TT. Sure it's heavy, and may be a bitch to maintain, but there is nothing slow about the TT, and you'll hardly need to spend anything to make it go fast. What are you looking for, a 4sec car stock?! Good luck, the TT is plenty fast!

If your looking to AutoX, you'll probably be spending the majority of your money on suspension items and tires.
    Last edited by Orbie; 06-06-2004 at 01:37 PM.

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

White 300ZX TT gets my vote

Or out of the other list, S13/S14
    Last edited by illeagle; 06-06-2004 at 01:44 PM.

why not a evo too if you are thinking about a wrx?

My Ride
    FG, S14, Caliber SRT4

Originally posted by abc1
    You guys in Manitoba get Evo's? And cheap insurance? How's the gas prices there?

My Ride
    S13

He cant get an Evo. Insurance is cheap as it is public insurance. I hated dealing with Autopac though. The Z32 300 TT would be a good choice, but they are the most expensive Nissan to maintain.

I would go with the WRX. Those Manitoba winters are nasty and I wouldnt want to be driving any of the other RWD cars you mentioned in all that snow.

My Ride
    WRX

All nice choices, but all completely different cars.

And the WRX's interior is marginal but no where near as "cheap" feeling as the Spec-V's

Originally posted by hatetank
    All nice choices, but all completely different cars.

And the WRX's interior is marginal but no where near as "cheap" feeling as the Spec-V's
    it's not as cheap feeling, but I've had a number of WRX owners who perfer my spec v interior over the WRX, I feel the same way. Acctually I feel the spec v interior is pretty well made for a car made in mexico, although it's REALLY easy to disassemble and reassemble the entire dash

Although my buddy has made his WRX VERY VERY fast with little $$$.

It's the interior that's ultimatly stopping me so far...and the poor gas milage and if I mod it I need to go to 94 octane

Maybe an interior dash kit, with a LCD might help the WRX interior, and the black pieces redyed to a real real black.
    Last edited by Daemos; 06-06-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Originally posted by abc1
    Although we CAN get Evos in Winnipeg, the interior is worse than a WRX, and it's like $20K morethan I'd like to spend

My Ride
    FJC, S30

^^ and to top that off they are USED.. hahaha
    Submaker.Illest.

Originally posted by Orbie
    lol, it was funny reading about all your gripes with the Spec V, always fun to hear about Nissan shortcomings

Anyways, out of the cars you've listed, I'd still have to go with my one and only favorite Nissan car the 300ZX TT. Sure it's heavy, and may be a bitch to maintain, but there is nothing slow about the TT, and you'll hardly need to spend anything to make it go fast. What are you looking for, a 4sec car stock?! Good luck, the TT is plenty fast!

If your looking to AutoX, you'll probably be spending the majority of your money on suspension items and tires.
    4 sec car stock? no...

I would like something that can reach high 12s if boosted or low 13s if NA (WRX can, and so can the RSX-S)

It also must have an able chassis that can handle well under modifications, and a nice interior and decent exterior, something that's decent in winter. Something that'll retain reliablity when modified...good build quality...etc...

Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
    ^^ and to top that off they are USED.. hahaha
    I don't understand...?

My Ride
    FJC, S30

the EVO's.. they are used from the states from what i understand.
    Submaker.Illest.

the EVO's.. they are used from the states from what i understand.
    Nope they come new from the states...

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by Daemos

Nope they come new from the states...
    hmm.. strange. we had this discussion on Nasioc.com and they said all the evo's come used from the states (like 30km or somehtin)
    Submaker.Illest.

hmm.. strange. we had this discussion on Nasioc.com and they said all the evo's come used from the states (like 30km or somehtin)
    30Km is uh nothing, they're supposed to drive it as part of the dealer. If it had 0km I'd be worried.

If you dont like the WRX how bout the STi? You did mention the IS300 which are pretty exspensive , seriously go to subaru and test drive an STi, i gaurantee you will like it.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast