Quantcast
Post Your Cell Phone Plan and Price - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Cell Phone Plan and Price

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I just tried with Koodo at that $48/month plan isn't in their system any more. She just kept saying that there is nothing even close she could offer except that they have great service...

I think I'll just go to Wind/Freedom Mobile today and switch over. For half the cost of my current plan, why the hell wouldn't I.
    Ultracrepidarian

I'm just curious what towers all these bargain companies I have never heard of before use because strong LTE service across Calgary and service on the highway is important to me. If they are offering the same service as the big carriers then I would agree why wouldn't everyone just switch.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

Lol I hesitated to switch now I'm annoyed with myself haha hope the deals come back
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I'm just curious what towers all these bargain companies I have never heard of before use because strong LTE service across Calgary and service on the highway is important to me. If they are offering the same service as the big carriers then I would agree why wouldn't everyone just switch.

Telus subsidiaries: Koodo, Public - both have LTE.
    Rogers subsidiaries: Fido, chatr(3G) - only fido has LTE.
    Bell subsidiaries: Virgin, Solo - Virgin has LTE. Solo is dead i think.

Freedom is Wind. Owned by Shaw. They have zones, extremely limited LTE coverage and only 2 phones work on their LTE network.

There is also PC Mobile (uses Telus/Bell LTE network), PetroCanada mobility (3G Rogers network), 7-11 Speakout (3G Rogers network), Zoomer (Rogers LTE network)

After a few days of glitches, my son's Public Mobile phone is getting LTE pretty much everywhere and no issues. He's paying $38/month for 4 Gigs and unlimited province wide calling.

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:49 PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Problem with Wind/Mobile Freedom is the shit LTE coverage. It won't be till Fall 2017 until the entire city has LTE converage. Whenever I'm on 3G I feel like I'm on some caveman dial up. I'd rather pay a little more for Public Mobile(which I'm on) and get LTE speeds.

Originally posted by know1edge
    Originally posted by msommers
    I just tried with Koodo at that $48/month plan isn't in their system any more. She just kept saying that there is nothing even close she could offer except that they have great service...

you can try the original Manitoba method
    Yeah it was only ever the Manitoba package...they didn't have that package for Alberta. And it is still available. But you have to do a little "fanagling" to get it with an Alberta phone number.

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-pla...enu_Shop_Plans

$48
    per month
    5 GB + 1 GB
    BONUS
    Shock-Free Data
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited messaging
    Plus 1000 international LD minutes. Limited time offer!
    All plans include
    Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling 7

Originally posted by C_Dave45

After a few days of glitches, my son's Public Mobile phone is getting LTE pretty much everywhere and no issues. He's paying $38/month for 4 Gigs and unlimited province wide calling.
    Glad to hear you got things worked out, Dave. Did you have to constantly contact them via forum, FB, and/or Twitter? Or did it just get fixed one day after they cleared the backlog of errors they had to manage in their system?

My 2-year term with TELUS (my old employer) is finished in January and I'm thinking of going Public.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

So, just signed a new 2 year contract.

Went with Rogers (Fido, actually) after reading their network is improved over previous years with better extended coverage they previously didn't have. Haven't read this thread in full to know if you guys back that up or not.

Here's what I got from "Wow!" in Market Mall:

$55/month with 1 gig data, 500 minutes, unlimited (within the 500 minutes of course) Canada-wide long distance, caller ID, messaging, unlimited text messaging.

I got the LG G5 phone, with a $50 prepaid mastercard. No charge for the sim. Also gave them an old flip phone I had for a $50 credit towards accessories, and if you buy 3 accessories they are 30% off. So ended up getting a basic case, a rechargeable external speaker, and a power bank for free.

Koodo does have a 1 gig, 500 minute plan on right now for $40 btw. That's a bring-your-own-phone price. Also includes the Canada-wide long distance. Obviously if you want a new phone you're going to have to do their Tab thing....

Anyway, I walked away figuring I got a pretty good deal.

I built the equivalent of my Fido plan of Public Mobile's website and it gave me $67/mo for 3 months which is $10 more than I'm paying. Am I missing something? They seem expensive but maybe I'm not doing it right.

Originally posted by raceman6135

Glad to hear you got things worked out, Dave. Did you have to constantly contact them via forum, FB, and/or Twitter? Or did it just get fixed one day after they cleared the backlog of errors they had to manage in their system?

My 2-year term with TELUS (my old employer) is finished in January and I'm thinking of going Public.
    I never did get any replies or responses. I managed to get it fixed by just googling and playing with settings deep within the phone.
    And I haven't been back to their support forum since then. As usual it was "user error" but I manage to figure it out.

I built the equivalent of my Fido plan of Public Mobile's website and it gave me $67/mo for 3 months which is $10 more than I'm paying. Am I missing something? They seem expensive but maybe I'm not doing it right.
    Whats your fido plan?

Sounds like you selected:
    - 90-day pricing
    - Canada-wide unlimited talk
    - global unlimited text
    - 4GB data per month

If so, you're correct: that's $67 per month with Public.

Sounds like you're getting a good deal with your current Fido plan.

The best match to the above plan I could find on fido.ca (under their Data, Talk & Text Fido Pulse Plans), is $75/month for the no contract/bring your own device option. That is a special offer they are running that gives you a 1GB boost to 4GB per month (plan is usually 3GB/month) plus 1000 international minutes as a bonus.
    Last edited by raceman6135; 12-06-2016 at 11:20 AM.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Not sure on all the specifics but I'll try this is through telus.
    200 min, 3gb data, favorite 6 plus all the basics caller ID and junk for $70. Plus if I go up to 1gb over its $10 and 3gb would be $25.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I never did get any replies or responses. I managed to get it fixed by just googling and playing with settings deep within the phone.
    And I haven't been back to their support forum since then. As usual it was "user error" but I manage to figure it out.
    Disappointing to hear you were left to fend for yourself

But kudos for figuring it out!

My Ride
    Hybrid

They had a promo for about a week in Nov, 4gb for $40 which Fido and Virgin matched. It's long over now, so that's why you're seeing worse prices.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Chatted with Fido for an hour and the best they would offer me is a worse plan than I am currently on for $50/mo or $95 and $105 plans 10 years with them and they made no attempt whatsoever to keep my business. Looks like I am shopping for something else now.

Does anyone have a list of the "value" carriers that use the *SAME* networks as the main carriers? For example there is no difference between Fido/Rogers network speed or coverage, and Fido is cheaper.

Does Public Mobile and Virgin Mobile use one of the major companies' network in it's entirety? All I really care about is LTE coverage in Canada and cellular service on the highways.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Chatted with Fido for an hour and the best they would offer me is a worse plan than I am currently on for $50/mo or $95 and $105 plans 10 years with them and they made no attempt whatsoever to keep my business. Looks like I am shopping for something else now.

Does anyone have a list of the "value" carriers that use the *SAME* networks as the main carriers? For example there is no difference between Fido/Rogers network speed or coverage, and Fido is cheaper.

Does Public Mobile and Virgin Mobile use one of the major companies' network in it's entirety? All I really care about is LTE coverage in Canada and cellular service on the highways.
    I feel like you are asking the same questions that have already been answered and tire kicking. Just make the switch already. You won't regret it. Public mobile uses Telus so anywhere you go, you have Telus. Same LTE speeds, same coverage across Canada. You should have already switched to PM weeks ago dude

Originally posted by Boat

I feel like you are asking the same questions that have already been answered and tire kicking. Just make the switch already. You won't regret it. Public mobile uses Telus so anywhere you go, you have Telus. Same LTE speeds, same coverage across Canada. You should have already switched to PM weeks ago dude
    What I was having trouble with was identifying which "value" carriers have identical service and coverage to the big names. Some of them advertise that and then I look further and it's only in their "home" area or whatever.

Public Mobile isn't a great deal from what I see currently. To beat my current plan (which is nothing special at all anymore) it's $10 more per month. That's why I was checking out Virgin and all the other ones I could find.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast