PDA

View Full Version : Probably a Stupid question...

GreyFox
09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
OK, so I don't really know much about cars... at all. (Part of the reason why i joined beyond.ca) Anyways, the transmission in my car is screwed. It grinds like crazy going into 3rd and sometimes it won't let me go into 3rd gear at all. For like 20 minutes one day I couldn't shift into any gear at all. What happened was it was acting as if the clutch wasn't pushed down at all, even though it was. :dunno: :banghead:

I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he drove it for about 2 minutes and also said that the tranny is going to shit. He said he is going to call his tranny guy and get back to me with an estimate on a re-built tranny and a used one...

My question is this: Is there different types of transmissions for each type of car? If there is, is putting a tranny from a different car into mine going to make it slower or change anything? Would you guys rather get the re-built or the used one?

Also, I don't think anything is wrong with my clutch, but would now be a good time to get a new one? I always see like "Racing Clutches" for sale, but what is the difference between that clutch and the one that I'm using right now? Like I'm pretty sure that it doesn't make anything go faster, so what's the point of getting a "Racing" clutch?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just curious. thanks in advance

Raz
09-01-2005, 10:19 AM
it's a perfectly good question

you need a rebuild of a transmission, but for the cost of just getting one out of another car instead, you might just want to go with a used one.

Unless you are going with crazy amounts of power and upgrades, I suggest sticking to an OEM clutch, if you have the money it's not a bad idea to get the flywheel machined, and get a new clutch and pressure plate, if money is an issue - don't do anything but find a cheap cheap tranny (call around) out of a crashed similar year car, and have somene on here come over and help you out installing it

- Rasmus

danno
09-01-2005, 10:57 PM
my friends girlfriend crashed his 2001 sunfire like 2 weeks ago. his tranny had been rebuilt in the spring. but he already wrote it off. i'll talk to him see if he can do anything. that's of course if the tranny fits??:confused:

GreyFox
09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks danno....Was it the GT model with manual tranny? I'll give my mechanic a call tomorrow, and he should be able to find out if it fits or not.

If it does....He said that it takes like 7 hours to pull the tranny out from that type of car....so would that mean 7 hours to get his and then 7 hours to put it into mine?

Either way, throw me a PM or post here again to let me know if its avaliable or not.

schurchill39
09-03-2005, 11:11 AM
7 hours to get a tranny out? I am not to familiar with sunfire but i know i personally with another kid in my mechanics class droped the engine and tranny out of a 323 in about 5 classes (equvilant to 5 hours) but were were in experienced and didnt know what we were doing and had to get teacher help along the way. I think 7 hours is a little long but i could be wrong. Hopefully some other people on here can clear that up