PDA

View Full Version : i'm laughing at you gassers

bart
09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
well, haven't made a thread in a while, so here goes:

i have a diesel car, so i'm not worried too much about fuel prices, sure it was nice when diesel was around 60 cents, but whatever, its still cheap driving compared to everyone else, even though it takes a bit longer to get places ;)

the west is catching up to the prices in the east (ie: europe), there the cheapest gasoline is $1.80ish per litre, diesel following at like $1.60. you guys were lucky enough for a long time anyway, its about time things change, see how many people buy v8's now buahaha.

in buying a diesel car, fuel economy was not what made me get one, wasnt even thinking about that! i just wanted a challenge in making a not so slow car on the street or track, powered by diesel, getting almost twice the mileage of equivalent gassers.

but now that i have a tdi, i read each gas whining post with a big smile on my face. :p

KGB
09-02-2005, 07:50 AM
damn TDI's:guns:

BubbaSTi
09-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by KGB
damn TDI's:guns:

Damn SEXY SWEET FAST TDI's :guns:

heavyD
09-02-2005, 08:08 AM
No need to laugh at me. We own three cars and they are all 4-cyl and fairly economical. I'm fine with the prices unless they get to $3.00/L or higher.:D

chong_wallace
09-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
No need to laugh at me. We own three cars and they are all 4-cyl and fairly economical. I'm fine with the prices unless they get to $3.00/L or higher.:D

:werd:

sputnik
09-02-2005, 08:34 AM
I drive vehicles with V8's and fill about 60L per week, but I have no payments on my cars so it is still cheaper in the long run (no payments, lower insurance) than to buy a new TDI and "save money" on gas.

BubbaSTi
09-02-2005, 08:41 AM
I drive a V6 on a students budget. I about $55 a week to fill her up. I have started to say that I am not going to let it get over 3k RPM. Ugh I wish I had an A3 or new GTi right now!!!

QuasarCav
09-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by bart
well, haven't made a thread in a while, so here goes:

i have a diesel car, so i'm not worried too much about fuel prices, sure it was nice when diesel was around 60 cents, but whatever, its still cheap driving compared to everyone else, even though it takes a bit longer to get places ;)

the west is catching up to the prices in the east (ie: europe), there the cheapest gasoline is $1.80ish per litre, diesel following at like $1.60. you guys were lucky enough for a long time anyway, its about time things change, see how many people buy v8's now buahaha.

in buying a diesel car, fuel economy was not what made me get one, wasnt even thinking about that! i just wanted a challenge in making a not so slow car on the street or track, powered by diesel, getting almost twice the mileage of equivalent gassers.

but now that i have a tdi, i read each gas whining post with a big smile on my face. :p

At least my car doesn't stink
:poosie:

euro tang
09-02-2005, 08:50 AM
Since gas prices are catching up with the east, hopefully vehicles will too. I don’t understand why auto makers wouldn’t release more diesel vehicles in North America like in Europe. Is it because of emissions?

heavyD
09-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by euro tang
Is it because of emissions?

Yes.

ken-gsr
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
damn you tdi's damn you.

BubbaSTi
09-02-2005, 08:55 AM

What I don't understand is that either way, the bad emmisions are going into the atmosphere and it will take a LONG time for it to make a significant impact. Either way, we are screwing up the planet so why not let us westerners get in on the goods of diesel:D

sputnik
09-02-2005, 09:17 AM

Sort of. European diesel is much more refined than it is in North America and most of the European diesel engines would run like crap with North American diesel. So until all diesel in North America is 5ppm sulphur (instead of 50ppm sulphur) you wont see the number of TDI and the like in Canada or the US.

On a side note (and the TDI guys will know this) there are a number stations providing 5ppm Su diesel under the name "ultra" or "super" diesel.

bart
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
no, their "ulsd" diesel, shell ultradiesel or husky whatever its called, says on the pump maximum 0.05% sulfur, which i think i calculated it out to 50ppm. cetane also plays a role, minimum should be 50 (its like octane for gasoline), but its around 40ish. euro diesels will run on this fuel fine, just that they pollute badly because of the crap quality of the fuel, that is why they're arent sold here.

the newest tdi (170hp golf5) has piezoelectric injectors and this really advanced emissions system, and it pollutes less than a gasser given it runs on good fuel.

Billet
09-02-2005, 10:02 AM
your stupid diesel is polluting like crazy

mother earth thanks you

camaro
09-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Billet

mother earth thanks you

ahaha...

Merkur
09-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Bump for the TDI's....by the way i am selling one right now :)

ninjak84
09-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Are people still buying diesel cars?

I wish all diesel owners had a pipe that went from the exhaust into the cabin. Then when they spew black clouds every 3 seconds, they would know that it was their fucking car that did it.

Ben
09-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Billet

mother earth thanks you

Actually, you should know that these diesel motors are actually BETTER for the environment, releasing substantially less global warming hydrocarbons than gasoline, especially the latest generation ones such as Barts TDI. Not to mention their much higher "energy per gallon of fuel". Dont let the exhaust plume fool you (TDI's hardly smoke at all). This is a Compact Car running a world class engine, not some beat assed semi truck.

KGB
09-02-2005, 01:43 PM
i also read cant remeber where that they put some sort of wax agent into gasoline so it doesnt create black smoke like diesel, if they didnt put that wax agent into gasoline it would smoke just as bad as diesel's do although new diesels dont smoke that bad.

SilverBoost
09-02-2005, 01:55 PM
If you convert your diesels to run on vegtable oil you'll be helping the environment by burnign cleaner and by helping mcdonalds get rif of their fat waste. Plus if you get hungry you can deep fry some chips in what you don't use for fuel. :poosie:

EDIT:
WTF with this stupid ad auto-placed in my thread??

Xtrema
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
First of all, I have followed many TDIs. They smoke and stunk.

Second, Shell should have 5ppm fuel by Spring 06. But the distribution network still sucks for diesel. Hopefully will catch up next few years.

If I am going buy a car in/after 07, I would give diesel a chance.

Phy
09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Diesel motorcycle (http://motorcyclecity.com/Military-bikes/M1030Diesel-Kawasaki.htm)

Edit: 140 mpg highway reported. 3 gallon tank.

NickGT
09-02-2005, 07:05 PM
These prices aren't that bad. As a V8 owner, I'll survive.

But I've got a company vehicle + gas for commuting to and from work. Only time I take the stang out is the odd evening and on weekends anyway. :angel:

Next vehicle will be a V8 as well. Unless my world comes crashing down. Then I guess I'll settle for something less. Love them V8's. :love:

cloud1314
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
but did you know tdi cost more to maintain
so eventually you break even down the road

Xtrema
09-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by cloud1314

It shouldn't be any worse than gas cars. Can you elaborate?

CalgaryB5
09-03-2005, 12:57 AM
I think people are overrated on their TDI capability. It is true to get such economy if you have a good maintenance on the car. The ultra high maintenance cost is hard to justify the money you are trying to save, unless you drive the car a lot per year.

I will never buy a VW TDI again, being said that I am a victim on trusting VW’s products. I am not new to VW’s cars and I had own multiple of them in the past. The last 00 Jetta MK4 TDI was especially getting on my nerve every time when I talk about it. The high maintenance cost is what I dislike about and not to mention the mechanical glitch on the TDI engine itself. VW never tells us about the intake on those TDIs will coked up with thick carbon at 30k. Ya, they blame the crappy diesel we have here. I have hard time to understand why the factory cannot make adjustment to fit the fuel we need to use here? Anyways, people should compare maintenance cost with the gas engine. Make sure you clearly understand the hidden fees what VW not cover. Some owners had their clutch wear out as early as 40k and VW is not covering this $1500 clutch job.

Making a TDI to become a fast car? No way. If you want speed you should get yourself a Porsche. Then if you think Porsche define some sort of sport cars. You should realize that they have never been putting a TDI diesel engine in any of their production models.

You might love to laugh at people at the gas pump with their V8/6 but don’t forget that you are also a victim in this price hike. The diesel price raised together as well, therefore no one win here whatsoever. How can you justify the people can afford the gas which they might have a better job pays 10x more then you? They will still drive there cars/trucks the usual way they used to be.

Better diesel fuel on the way? Not for sure. According to the oil/gas engineers I spoke to said Alberta is going to be the biggest dumping ground for the old formula diesel fuel. Other provinces already have their own regulations and timeline on the ULSD, only Alberta still doesn’t have any regulations for now. A skeptical side note to that is our Alberta government allowing this to happen to maximize their revenue. We are living in so call the oil province. I guess some kind of deals can be made between the oil companies and gov.

CalgaryB5
09-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It shouldn't be any worse than gas cars. Can you elaborate?

Drop by a local VW dealership and get a maintenance catalogue from the service department. They will list out all the current model maintenance cost and interval. You will know the truth when you see the list yourself.

TurboMedic
09-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by BubbaSTi
I drive a V6 on a students budget. I about $55 a week to fill her up. I have started to say that I am not going to let it get over 3k RPM. Ugh I wish I had an A3 or new GTi right now!!!
I have a GTI for you! Come and get it.....

Anyhow, about the TDI's not being fast, sure you can make them fast....They race diesels in europe, and they would eat most of your cars....Barts car is quite quick, I've ridden in a few TDI's that would take most GTI's for a walk....As for smoke, they aren't bad, smell, not too bad, noise, sure its a little more, but you just have to turn up the music and watch the tripmeter rack its km's longer in between fills.....My first VW was a diesel, a '91, it didn't smoke bad either.....it was damn slow though (non turbo)....I would gladly put up with all the quirks and nuances of a diesel to not have to fill up at $1.20+ every week.....I have to drive everywhere for work....we even have free transit use anytime, but scheduling, access, time, and the fact I get off at 3am allow me not to use it....plus I could be working anywhere in the city....Hooray for diesel, lets see more of them out there being sold and used......fuck V8's!

l8braker
09-03-2005, 10:28 AM
i put 30 bucks in my 'lude last night for 111.0 and i got a little over half a tank. usually a full tank lasts a week, sometimes a little longer, so it's all good. thats driving it really hard too.

love that cheap 4 banger right about now.

diesel smells!

forkdork
09-03-2005, 10:33 AM

Not really, except for the timing belt (change at 160k)
Oil changes at 16k (costs like $50 for oil + filter)

Regarding clutch, I have 150k CITY DRIVING, clutch is still good. Some people just can't drive.

Diesel prices are going up, but not nearly as fast as gasoline prices. Some stations have a 30 c/L difference between gas and diesel prices! 2 weeks ago I paid 78.9 C, 2 days ago I ended up paying 81.2 or something (while gas was at 114)

Check www.tdiclub.com to see how many other owners are satisfied with their cars........

dooman24
09-03-2005, 10:45 AM
AHHHH!! gas prices..
haha it hurts!! i hurts everytime i see 45$ to fill up my Civic!!
haha used to be 20 bucks!!
IT HURTS!! I HURTS!!

BubbaSTi
09-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

I have a GTI for you! Come and get it.....

Sorry. Should of been more clear. I want a MK V GTI.

cloud1314
09-04-2005, 12:21 AM
type of maintenance to expect
carbon buildup - decoke service
hard start in the winter
160k timing belt is only on specific year/model otherwise its about
$600
32k service is about $400
so it will add up.

CLiVE
09-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Put 80L of premium in my V8 today. Ouch...

trikypenguin
09-04-2005, 12:51 AM
lol i'm a student about to buy a 94 mustang gt :thumbsup: v8 5L baby

forkdork
09-04-2005, 01:02 AM
type of maintenance to expect
carbon buildup - decoke service
hard start in the winter
160k timing belt is only on specific year/model otherwise its about
$600
32k service is about $400
so it will add up.

Carbon buildup- 150k CITY DRIVING!!! which is supposed to be the worst for clogging, and I got no buildup, no clean up required.

Hard starting- yeah right... this isn't some early 80's MB 617 Diesel engine. Starts fine in -30 weather, just have to wait for glowplugs.

160K timing belt is from late 2001 on (before that you would have a 100k timing belt), you will end up changing timing belts on other gasoline engines too. search tdiclub for how much you save compared to a VW 2.0L over a certain interval of miles.

32k service is a bunch of shit... looking at the crap they do right now, why would they drain the water seperator when they are changing the fuel filter? Also I have never had any water come out after draining the seperator, I no longer bother to do it. You could do all the 32k service at home for under $100 using original VW parts.

Xtrema
09-04-2005, 01:02 AM
The only reason I won't drive a diesel is because only stone age diesel formulat. I believe US government demands USLD to be available by 2007. I know Shell plans to have it out by Spring 2006.

Until then, I won't touch a diesel vehicle. You may save 30% on fuel (for me that's about $520/yr @ $1.2/L price point), but the hassle of find a station and hardware issue is too much.

You do have to pay a premium on diesel engines as well over similarly equipped gas car.

forkdork
09-04-2005, 01:05 AM
If you drive enough, or plan on keeping your car, diesel is worth it. Look at the prices for a MKIV TDI now, most are in the 22-24k range :eek: compare that to a 2.0