PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Speeding Ticket on Insurance?

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Well after 4 years of lucking out and only getting hit with photo radar, last night I was pulled over for speeding. Was caught going 133 in a 110 on my way back home from picking up the girl.

I was issued a ticket and 3 demerits.

I always thought these tickets would result in higher insurance premiums, but a few people have told me otherwise.

Does anyone know from past experience whether my premiums will go up or not?

Thanks!

mike0989
09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
your premiums WILL go up unless you fight the ticket.

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by mike0989
your premiums WILL go up unless you fight the ticket.

That's what I was hoping I wouldn't hear.

Is it just the demerits? or the ticket itself that I need to fight? I know a few people who have gone to court and were able to have the demerits waived.

In general... am I looking at a huge increase in premiums? such as double or something?

This is my first ticket and my premiums currently are 2900 a year... is it likely it'll go over 4k?

Raz
09-02-2005, 09:18 AM
go to court at the date indicated (or any time before) in the "court" you will see some clerks called "Justices of the peace" these are judges, you don't wear a hat (lol) - you ask to speak with the crown, take a seat to your left, wait 20-300 minutes (not a typo) and speak with the crown, he will take your demerits off because this is your "first" ticket.

No insurance problems for you.

thank me later.

next time, outrun the cop :D

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Raz
go to court at the date indicated (or any time before) in the "court" you will see some clerks called "Justices of the peace" these are judges, you don't wear a hat (lol) - you ask to speak with the crown, take a seat to your left, wait 20-300 minutes (not a typo) and speak with the crown, he will take your demerits off because this is your "first" ticket.

No insurance problems for you.

thank me later.

next time, outrun the cop :D

I <3 you!

Ben
09-02-2005, 09:22 AM
even if you just pay the ticket and accept the demerits, you'd only be looking at roughly a 10% increase (you wont be paying 4k, unless your insurance company is a bunch of bloodsucking retards. With the new insurance reforms, your insurance goes up and down in 5% knotches, minor tickets (like yours) increase your premium by 2 notches.

So if that is the case, you're looking at roughly 3300 a year.

GO TALK TO THE CROWN!

kenny
09-02-2005, 09:25 AM
The insurance premium increase is negligible. I got a ticket for 50+ over (was actually 56 over but cop reduced it to regular ticket instead of court appearance) and 6 demerits.

After losing in court and having it show up on my record my insurance went up $4 / month roughly $50 a year! It does not matter. Insurance claims for collisions is where you will see significant increases. Of course there is always your one freebie that most companies offer.

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

And you're sure I can go to court before the date on the ticket? The way it's stated on the ticket it sounds like I can only go on that specific date.

Now just need to find a day in which I can go up to Red Deer :(

max_boost
09-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Some insurance companies do not review your records on a yearly basis unless you give them a reason to do so (accident claim). Statefarm hasn't checked mine in two years (my agent told me) so you might get away with racking up a few tickets hehe

Also your agent can make recommendations to head office regarding your policy so be cool with your agent. My agent is also a very good friend of mine, we hang out every weekend so I know he'll put in a good word for me haha. I'm expecting a review soon, my gf had an accident claim last year and we both joined the 50 over club however both tickets have been reduced by the Crown.

thinmyster
09-02-2005, 10:12 AM
yeah i recieved 2 tickets back in the day one for 3 demerits and one for 4 demerits 30 over and 35km over respectively and my insurance never went up?? this was over 2-3 years ago now too and my premiums have since been cut in half with the new reforms

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 11:19 AM
I wish I posted about this last night. I would have had a much better sleep. Thanks everyone!