PDA

View Full Version : Even more Photo Radar?

SilverBoost
09-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Heard yesterday that photo radar is starting to make appearances in recycling bins and such?

Anyone else know anything about this? Sorry if it's been covered.

Stupid drivers drive 40kph down Sarcee but drive 110 down my street because they know there's no chance of photo radar. Yeah that's makes things better.

Fucking stupid money grab.... all these things do is create traffic congestion and make people slam on the brake everytime they pass a van on the side of the road.

This city is getting stupider in it's approach to traffic enforcement.

QuasarCav
09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Would you prefer each car to have a transponder that relays your speed back to the CPS. Instant tickets anywhere in the city.

SilverBoost
09-02-2005, 02:20 PM
No, I wouldn't.... you've missed my point.

Are you saying that photo radar is an effective speed deterrent more than a money grab? It's not.

QuasarCav
09-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
No, I wouldn't.... you've missed my point.

Are you saying that photo radar is an effective speed deterrent more than a money grab? It's not.

It's a money grab with a side effect of deterring speed.

I see your point though, You see the radar van a slow down and as soon as there is no radar you gun it again. Makes areas that cannot have radar (Barlow north) very tempting speed areas.

snowboard
09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

It's a money grab with a side effect of deterring speed.

I see your point though, You see the radar van a slow down and as soon as there is no radar you gun it again. Makes areas that cannot have radar (Barlow north) very tempting speed areas.

what do you mean? they love sitting on barlow north just before the 16th ave over pass.

i dont find it affective though, cause i speed till i see it.

Nix87
09-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I thought photoradar had to be enforced with an attendent working the camera

SilverBoost
09-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Nix87
I thought photoradar had to be enforced with an attendent working the camera

No, they just need a monkey to drive the van to the location. Everything else can be automated.

snowboard
09-02-2005, 02:44 PM

No, they just need a monkey to drive the van to the location. Everything else can be automated.

yay as far as i know the cops drive the van there jump in the back with there hustler and have fun.

QuasarCav
09-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

what do you mean? they love sitting on barlow north just before the 16th ave over pass.

i dont find it affective though, cause i speed till i see it.

Really north past Mcknight.

snowboard
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM

ok i gotcha, totally true.

arian_ma
09-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Get a radar detector :thumbsup:

Too bad their like $600 for a good one though.

:drama:

FiveFreshFish
09-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Got this in an email. Not sure what to believe...

Not just Edmonton, now Calgary, Watch out photo Radar - here is the new version (NO MORE VANS) - now recycle bins. Check out the pictures.

One of the girls in my office has already been tagged by one on 50th avenue SW between Macleod and Elbow drive. This is a test model of a new Photo-Radar Unit Spotted in Edmonton. So much for looking out for minivans!

2000_SI
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
^^^so if you see one, push it over...:D

Phy
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

yay as far as i know the cops drive the van there jump in the back with there hustler and have fun.

There's always someone attending the camera though. Probably to prevent someone proactive coming along and "nudging" the van out of the way.

Even easier to do with an unattended recycle bin...

Edit: And I'm sure that photo's been posted here before.

SilverBoost
09-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Get a radar detector :thumbsup:

Too bad their like $600 for a good one though.

:drama:

I've got one, and it's one of the newest an dyes I paid $500+ for it, but still, they don't always give you enough warning and with the false alarms it'd be tough unless you start figuring out where these things are going to be.

habsfan
09-02-2005, 09:11 PM
i remember seein this on fifth gear a while back, they were testing them out in england or something. looks like its made its way over the ocean

chris
09-02-2005, 09:15 PM
man if i see one of those while walking *shakes fists*

ecstasy_civic
09-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
^^^so if you see one, push it over...:D

no shit!

take a bat to it haha

Gurpy
09-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Hmm, this coke I just took one sip out of seems to be flat...oh look, a recycling bin!

A790
09-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Gurpy
Hmm, this coke I just took one sip out of seems to be flat...oh look, a recycling bin!

I wonder how well the bin would take it?

See, I'd just post a picture in front of a camera of the street or something. You know, to be all sneaky and whatnot.

becks_is_back
09-03-2005, 11:05 AM
i see one of those consider its recycling bin ass POWN3D

DannyO
09-03-2005, 03:12 PM
If I find one of those somewhere I'm taking it, then I could take some sweet pics at car shows :D

I'm not too bothered about this though, and I got a 200 dollar multinova just the other day, fuck it if I care, plus you can drive by them speeding and not get caught, you just have to be going over 198mph :D

bspot
09-03-2005, 03:14 PM
I swear there has to be someone attending the camera so that when necessary they can testify the camera was in working order. :dunno:

I'm calling :bullshit:

Gurpy
09-03-2005, 03:20 PM
lmao, that'd be great..whenever it finds someone speeding it just takes a picture of a blank road "shit these calgarians are driving fast now"

Danny, 200..thats steep hahaha, how many over were you doing, 30?

88CRX
09-03-2005, 03:30 PM
those pictures posted are bs.

they were posted up with a story over a year ago, about somewhere in europe where they were using them untill people started spray painting the lenses and tipping them over and lighting them on fire and blowing them up, etc etc etc.

DJ Lazy
09-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
those pictures posted are bs.

they were posted up with a story over a year ago, about somewhere in europe where they were using them untill people started spray painting the lenses and tipping them over and lighting them on fire and blowing them up, etc etc etc.

I thought they looked familiar...

Gurpy
09-03-2005, 03:53 PM
When you do 50 over the limit you have to go to court right? What happens if you're caught on multanova? Just a massive fine?

DannyO
09-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Gurpy

Danny, 200..thats steep hahaha, how many over were you doing, 30?

Yea it was 102 in a 70kph zone on deerfoot, it was a Construction area, but the area has hardly any construction shit around and there were no workers as it was late, thats why I was going fast, I tend to drive to how I see fit, so sometimes I can be way over the limit, but othertimes I can be driving way under the limit, if theres kids or alot of shit around/bad roads/can't see round corners and shit, then I take it easy, but when its a straight line, fuck that, if it means me getting another ticket, so be it.

becks_is_back
09-03-2005, 03:56 PM
yea well i guess i dont really worry cause i bent my plate pretty good, i just curled the edges over a bit, havnt gotten a ticket yet

ThE tV 8 mE
09-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

Yea it was 102 in a 70kph zone on deerfoot, it was a Construction area, but the area has hardly any construction shit around and there were no workers as it was late, thats why I was going fast, I tend to drive to how I see fit, so sometimes I can be way over the limit, but othertimes I can be driving way under the limit, if theres kids or alot of shit around/bad roads/can't see round corners and shit, then I take it easy, but when its a straight line, fuck that, if it means me getting another ticket, so be it.

:werd:

BubbaSTi
09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I have just decided to not go over 3k rpm cause of gas. Kind of a good way to slow down I guess...

Xtrema
09-04-2005, 01:09 AM
As long as the money grab is well used by the police, so the ask less from the city, so we don't have to pay as much taxes, I'm ok with it.

Actually, if cost allows, I would put red light camera in all major intersections and make it double as speed camera. Why the hell not? You break the law , you pay. You don't wanna pay, slow down.

rc2002
09-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Photoradar should be used in high collision locations and playground zones and school zones. Places that warrant safe driving. But instead it seems to me like the photoradar vehicles are placed in locations where they can generate the most tickets...

People who get photoradar tickets probably aren't paying enough attention while driving anyway if they can't see a big car with tinted windows stopped on the side of the road.

Fluidic
09-05-2005, 02:19 PM
If people are driving down your street to fast, then move, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Sometimes people gotta speed down residential roads to get home quick and take a shit.

It's called diarrhea.

69cougar
09-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Saw them there this afternoon where it drops from 90 to 70 had his signal light on. Pulled over

Khyron
09-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Actually, if cost allows, I would put red light camera in all major intersections and make it double as speed camera. Why the hell not? You break the law , you pay. You don't wanna pay, slow down.

Maybe make the speed limits a little more realistic then perhaps. But 80/hr in broad daylight in the summer is not the same as 80/hr in the middle of winter. And 80/hr in a motorhome is not the same as 80/hr on a motorbike.

Khyron

SilverBoost
09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic
If people are driving down your street to fast, then move, don't ruin it for the rest of us. Sometimes people gotta speed down residential roads to get home quick and take a shit.

It's called diarrhea.

that's quite possibly one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here.

doing 100 down sarcee is certainly not the same as doing it down a residential side street with parked cars on both sides, where kids and pets can come out from behind at any time. That's exactly where they need to focus the efforts, not a money grab effort like they do now, getting people for 65 in a 50 on a 4 lane road.

Thaco
09-06-2005, 01:33 PM
the only thing photo radar does is causes accidents because the idiots on the road find it necessary to slam on thier brakes and do 10 under the limit every time they pass a late model dodge minivan stopped on the side of the road..

Fluidic
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

that's quite possibly one of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here.

I'm happy to hear you say that. Makes it all seem worthwhile.

Have an excellent day. :)

gaubien
09-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Photoradar should be used in high collision locations and playground zones and school zones. Places that warrant safe driving. But instead it seems to me like the photoradar vehicles are placed in locations where they can generate the most tickets...

People who get photoradar tickets probably aren't paying enough attention while driving anyway if they can't see a big car with tinted windows stopped on the side of the road.

I second this. I have playground zone in front of my house. People always gun through it. However, the cops will not put a van there at our neighborhood request.

Mr. Burns
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Those pics were taken in europe a couple of years ago, they have already been posted in this thread, not to mention countless other threads on beyond. It seems like this comes up once a month around here.

HK2NR
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
my bad didn't see the link when i was reading through it

Primer_Drift
09-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Fluidic

It's called diarrhea.

:rofl: Thats almost sig worthy

dericer
09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bspot
I swear there has to be someone attending the camera so that when necessary they can testify the camera was in working order. :dunno:

I'm calling :bullshit:

I got a ticket by the RCMP by elbow falls.

The camera was in a grey metal bin in the ditch w/ some lacky sitting in a white ford taurus station wagon about 100 feet way in a parking lot. I saw the flash and pulled over to see wtf was in the ditch flashing and while I was standing there about 5-6 vehicles got tagged.

This was about 4 years ago so I am surprised the City is so far behind

dastick
09-09-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=ab_home&articleID=2025846

I wonder if beyond was a source for their story?

Fluidic
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by dastick
http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=ab_home&articleID=2025846

I wonder if beyond was a source for their story?

Doubt it.

fast95pony
09-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Perhaps it's time I started taking pics of all the cop cars parked at Tim Horton's and mailing them to the City.
Get them ticketed for "Loitering" ...

creeper
09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
I've got about 3 photo radar tickets before. All at different locations. Each time the camera was manned by a human being.

I fought them all in court, for reduction of the cost of the fine - successfully. And each time, the cop who physically took the picture, appeared in court.

.civictyper.
09-10-2005, 07:09 PM
they make people sit in the vans to stop vandilism to the units, a while back they used to just leave a van on the side of the road but people were throwing bricks through the window and shit. So i dont think they will put them in recycling bins and stuff, those machines are $$$$$$$$$ i dont think they would risk it