PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of old TV tube

BerserkerCatSplat
09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
OK, so we have this old (80's) oak console TV that crapped out a while ago. I plan on converting the wooden exterior into an entertainment unit, but I don't know how to properly dispose of an old TV tube. I hear that they implode/explode if handled incorrectly, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to safely get rid of the tube.

snowboard
09-02-2005, 02:24 PM
drive down st george's drive and throw it at the ground as you drive. not many people drive down there so who cares, just make sure it covers one side of the road and leavves the other open so i can get by, oh and try and hit one of those monster pot holes that almost ripped my car in half too.

or contact the dump and ask them.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
drive down st george's drive and throw it at the ground as you drive. not many people drive down there so who cares, just make sure it covers one side of the road and leavves the other open so i can get by, oh and try and hit one of those monster pot holes that almost ripped my car in half too.

:rofl: Mildly unorthodox, but I like it!

civicrider
09-02-2005, 02:33 PM
haha i did that they make a loud poping noise when they hit

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 03:28 PM
you're supposed to break the tube to release the gas. After the gas is release, it's no longer volatile.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-02-2005, 03:37 PM
^OK, but how do I do that safely? Whack it with a hammer?

civicrider
09-02-2005, 04:05 PM
good luck that glass is so thick maybe a drill

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 04:31 PM
At the back, where you see the tube itself stick out, hit that part with a hammer. It should either break off completely and release the gas, or make a crack or hole where the gas will be expelled from.

Basically you're not at any risk of anything exploding, just watch out for flying glass. If you don't hear gas being expelled when you break it, you're gonna have to hit a part closer to the screen.

AndrewMZ3
09-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Doesn't the city have occasional electronic recycle days or something where you can bring electronics to them and a non-perishable food item and they'll take care of disposing/recycling it?

rage2
09-02-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.albertarecycling.ca/public/data/documents/ConfirmedCollectionListonWebsitepdf.pdf

Bring it to one of those sites. We pay the damn ADS surcharge for a reason, so the gubment can throw the shit out for us!

BerserkerCatSplat
09-02-2005, 05:08 PM
^Thanks, rage. Good to know there's one just over on Crowfoot! Should make life easier knowing I don't have to haul it all the way into Airdrie!

FiveFreshFish
09-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMZ3
At the back, where you see the tube itself stick out, hit that part with a hammer. It should either break off completely and release the gas, or make a crack or hole where the gas will be expelled from.

Basically you're not at any risk of anything exploding, just watch out for flying glass. If you don't hear gas being expelled when you break it, you're gonna have to hit a part closer to the screen.
When you break the tube, atmospheric air leaks INTO the tube - gas does not escape. The tube is a vacuum, therefore there is no compressed gas inside.

The city dump takes old TVs and appliances. Costs at least $5 to leave it at the dump so bring a bunch of other shit too.

Weapon_R
09-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Shoot the tube with a BB gun if you're afraid of it exploding on you :)

GQBalla
09-03-2005, 03:17 PM
or shoot it with a airsoft gun!!!

lol i want to play with my airsoft glock now!