PDA

View Full Version : friend just bought a new computer from a "rent to own" place

GucciBoy
09-02-2005, 07:28 PM
OH no, and IMO got, well...you know! Gee what a surprise coming from a place like that!:rolleyes:

I told her, buying from a place like that I wouldnt trust. Sure she was told this and that by the owner, but thats all sweet talk (why they're still in business!). Who's to say this place wont take off next week and screw her over for support. Or maybe they're putting in cheap parts...wait let me correct myself, they DO put in cheap parts. When a person shopping who knows very little about what they are shopping for, they tend to get scammed, especially at a place like this! LOL - its like buying a computer from a pawn shop!

Here is the quick rundown of what she got.

AMD Sempron(TM) 3000+
480 MB DDR ram (dont know why 480 LOL - JIPPED!!!!)
80gig Aten H.D
SiS 32MB video card (not sure what the heck brand SIS is LOL)
Realtek onboard audio
Acer 2.1 speakers with sub
Acer Wireless keyboard and mouse (didnt bother asking if the mouse was even optical lol)

V7 17'' LCD Monitor (What the heck kinda company is V7? LOL, their all "exclusive" store brand name probably lol). She assumed since it was made in Canada and new company that they must be good. Oh dear god.

Price paid: $1700 cdn with 4yr in store warranty at 'rent to own" LOL. Ah, yes of course a place like that would offer nothing but exceptional support after the customer unloading their fat load of cash! Oh man, I feel so bad...Im trying to tell her to refund it but she keeps saying she got a wicked deal and would be stupid to return such a great deal. :rolleyes:

But then again, good luck getting refunds at a place like that!:dunno:

Weapon_R
09-02-2005, 07:31 PM
Rent to own places make their money from people who have little to no money and want to pay their items monthly. For little or no credit, the average person can pick up an item from there for an inflated price. So for what she got and the type of situation she's in, its not such a big deal. If she had $1200 in cash, she wouldn't have bought a computer from a rental shop anyways. When people have the money to buy a computer, they go to a computer store.

GucciBoy
09-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Rent to own places make their money from people who have little to no money and want to pay their items slowly. So for what she got and the type of situation she's in, its not such a big deal. If she had $1200 in cash, she wouldn't have bought a computer from a rental shop anyways. When people have the money to buy a computer, they go to a computer store.

No, she had the money...had no budget. But was suckered in by those guys. Was told it was high end. Oh, and she paid all debit.

eblend
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
dude she got ripper a new hole for this one..thats a horrible deal!

reason the ram is 480 is cuz prolly 64 megs is being used for onboard video

pr0
09-02-2005, 07:46 PM
I could have built that computer for like $600 tops. That SiS card is a crappy on-board integrated video.

natejj
09-02-2005, 08:08 PM
I want to cry!!!!

Without the LCD, that thing is less then... 400!

GucciBoy
09-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Im quite discouraged and dissapointed in her, for not having better common sense NOT to buy from crooks like them. They take advantage of people who dont know the "technical" side of what they are shopping for. She got scammed! I dont know how the heck, she would think this place is better than FS, or even Best buy or heck even wal Mart!

She just wanted something cheap, but was told this is "high end system for low end price." $1700 is not low end price - you can get basic systems for $299 at Dell! Oh god, stupid sweettalk scammers.:banghead:

thats what ive been trying to tell her for the last 2 hours LOL. As happy as she is right now having a computer and quote "it works great" sure she wont be saying that in 2 months from now or even tommorow! She keeps thinking she got an amazing deal that she couldnt get anywhere else, because the guys there told her "its high end computer worth over $4000 for $1700"...and "free monitor and warranty." LOL oh puh-leez!

And even if she was convinced to return it, good luck getting your money back from a place like that.

natejj
09-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Can you please tell me the name of the store? Just PM me... i want to go there, act all dumb and here this AMAZING schpeel they use on customers....

GucciBoy
09-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by pr0
I could have built that computer for like $600 tops. That SiS card is a crappy on-board integrated video.

exactly, or for what she paid...she could have gone to memory express and got something 100x better. Plus you have the support and honesty from Mem. exp. Not some bogus talk from 400lb guys who live off hot dogs and perogies.

EDIT: The Hard drive is not acer, but ATEN! :eek:

Kamen
09-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Dude your friend paid more than I did for my pimped out sn25p xpc shuttle...

I don't even know half the brands mentioned in her machine's specs :rofl:

You should have stopped her when you had the chance.
32mb video card? That's fucking useless that piece costs less than $10 probably.

If the business is established and proper I wouldn't go to the extent of calling them crooks...sure it's a huge ripoff...but it's not like she was forced.

Boo to you :thumbsdow you should have owned your friend and used your existing consumer whore knowledge to lead her down the right path from the start to avoid this mess.

heinz256
09-03-2005, 03:50 PM
ya seriously, 1700 bucks for a pos system??! For 1700 you could practically go to any computer store and get something 5X better than that

dDUB
09-03-2005, 04:51 PM
2x better at most :rolleyes:

nambis
09-04-2005, 10:44 AM
ouch

AcuraTl
09-04-2005, 11:05 AM
we had a better computer at walmart, came with a CRT moniter and was 596...your friend got ripped the fuck apart...it was a compaq also

GTS Jeff
09-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kamen
Boo to you :thumbsdow you should have owned your friend and used your existing consumer whore knowledge to lead her down the right path from the start to avoid this mess.

:werd: Instead of whining on Beyond, why didn't you just stop her from buying the computer in the first place?

rage2
09-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Is she hot? She's gotta be hot cuz only hot chicks can be that dumb!