PDA

View Full Version : SSAutochrome

A790
09-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I've been looking at some of these kits on eBay, the $575 USD ones that include the intercooler, BOV, turbo etc. for the CA18DET. As far as I'm aware this is entirely an UPGRADE kit, hence the reason the cost is lower than a complete turbo kit.

However, I've heard that there are some issues regarding quality with SSAutochrome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Kit-CA18DET-180SX-Super-Brand-New-S13-W-FMIC_W0QQitemZ7996327568QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's the item I was looking at; bigger turbo, FMIC... should be good for more power, right? So long as it's not garbage...

Anyone have any experience with SSAutochrome, or should I stay away?

EK 2.0
09-03-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't know much about their turbo's and I/C's. But I know a LOT of people using their manifolds. The first couple of production runs had a fair share if quality control issues. But since then have been rectified. The quality of welds and construction has increased dramtically. Also they IMHO have become aware of the weaknesses of their manifolds and have fixed those issues with extra bracing, and stronger flanges and welds.

For the price I know the manifolds cannot be beat. I had one on my DSM, EGMike is running one on his Turbo EG, Dirty_SOHC is also running one. As are a few other turbo honda's and DSM's that I know of.

**EDIT**

For the price you may pay for one of their manifolds...if it DOES crack I mean the cost of fixing the crack would be so minimal that you still walk away under the cost of a more bling bling manifold...

A790
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
So manifolds are good... excellent.

I'm more concerned about the I/C's though; I want a front mount setup and don't want to spend a million bucks to do it.

The turbo/manifold is going to wait a year or so.

Thanks for your help EK!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FMIC-Turbo-Intercooler-Kit-Nissan-89-93-CA18-CA18DET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ7996344998QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

FMIC setup for $295 USD. Sound reasonable?

dcoultis
09-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

For the price you may pay for one of their manifolds...if it DOES crack I mean the cost of fixing the crack would be so minimal that you still walk away under the cost of a more bling bling manifold...

The manifolds cracked because they were made from thin metal. Re-welding them did nothing to prevent them from cracking again.
Although you are right they did change production techniques and some models never did experience any cracking issues.

I'd still stay away from anything ssautochrome/xspower/obx/cocksuckingpieceofshits. They make junk. Their turbos are fucking not even real turbos. Their intercoolers use shitty cheap chinese cores that are totally inefficient, and they sell crack to children.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzA3OTAyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzA3OTAzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and don't forget to check out this happy customer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garrett-Style-T3-T4-Hybrid-Turbo_W0QQitemZ7995296496QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do a search on ssautochrome. you'd be a fool to buy anything from those cunt rags.

dj_rice
09-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by dcoultis

The manifolds cracked because they were made from thin metal. Re-welding them did nothing to prevent them from cracking again.
Although you are right they did change production techniques and some models never did experience any cracking issues.

I'd still stay away from anything ssautochrome/xspower/obx/cocksuckingpieceofshits. They make junk. Their turbos are fucking not even real turbos. Their intercoolers use shitty cheap chinese cores that are totally inefficient, and they sell crack to children.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzA3OTAyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzA3OTAzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and don't forget to check out this happy customer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garrett-Style-T3-T4-Hybrid-Turbo_W0QQitemZ7995296496QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do a search on ssautochrome. you'd be a fool to buy anything from those cunt rags.

Are you speaking from your own experience with SSA or just what you have heard from what everybody else said??

And by the way..your link doesnt work so you've proved nothing...

And A790....if your still not unsure about them..read this
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3439&highlight=ssautochrome

If they sold crappy parts..I dont think they'd still be in business

TegLover
09-03-2005, 02:18 PM
They are still in business because alot of people are clueless.

EK 2.0
09-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by TegLover
They are still in business because alot of people are clueless.

I wouldn't call Dirty_SOHC, or EGMike clueless...would you??

AND...IIRC Hollywood ran one on his 300WHP SR20...

A790
09-03-2005, 04:48 PM
So... FMIC okay then?

dymz999
09-04-2005, 10:30 AM
First of all, SSAUTOCHROME does not make there own stuff. They buy it all from ovearseas where they are assembled by 6 year olds. This is why you can buy the same manifold and i mean exact same manifold and such on ebay from other companies because it is all sourced from asia. I remember seeing the "glued" together turbo i thought it was quite funny.

The only problems with the intercoolers that are coming out from ssautochrom and the rest of asia for that matter are they are not high quality stuff and will not be exactly the best. I've heard stories of tests comparing brand name ones to the no name intercoolers on ebay and seeing pressure drops that are anywwhere from .6psi to 2.2psi higher than a greddy or apexi unit of similar size. The actual cores from what i've read are shotty. It would still be better than a SMIC anyday though.

Personally I would save my money and buy something more high quality. Manifold wise i've already got my Full-Race manifold, but they are damn pricy but have been proven to give a good 30hp or so at mid horsepower levels. I've not seen anyone post the difference on an ebay manifold as of yet. I remember my friend in edmonton had a bitch of a time installing his manifold. The runners were so badly angeled that two of the bolts were damn near impossible to get on or off for that matter. You had to sit there with a wrench for a good half hour on each, it looked nice all in all, not sure about performance though.

Dirty_SOHC
09-04-2005, 11:15 AM
The manifolds are ok, if braced properly. Also from what I been told the wastegates and LSD arent to shabby either. But for their turbos they are all crap... It all comes down to what do you want to spend. Since the manifold does its job I cant justify the cost of a full race manifold.

A790
09-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, I'm going to head to Autodream sometime this week adn talk to Marvin about it. I'm getting some other goodies thrown in there, so I might as well talk about a FMIC setup. I've tried PMing legendboy about getting him to do one but he hasn't responded yet.

TypeS
09-06-2005, 01:08 PM
i take it your not selling the car anymore?;)

dymz999
09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
The manifold does its job? I'm not sure about that. Some people post on other forums only picking up marginal gains, 0-7whp on cars that are making around 350. At that kind of power range you'd think it would make more and for the amount of work it takes to change that manifold you'd want more gains.

Most of the stuff they sell though is the same garbage going around on ebay. Just other people sell it without the guarantee/warantee or whatever, its very strange.

legendboy
09-07-2005, 08:13 AM
You get what you pay for :dunno:

Their manifolds work, but are thin gauge tubing and look cheezy

Their intercoolers work but are not made from optimal cores, are polished and look cheezy

Their wastegates work but some break

Their turbo work but for how long

.......etc......etc.......

Lo)2enz0
09-07-2005, 01:13 PM
cam if your interested in a larger set up I have a trust manifold with and external wastegate that I am selling for $600, has a t3 flange. I will be at the meet tonight if you wanna take a peak at it.

A790
09-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
cam if your interested in a larger set up I have a trust manifold with and external wastegate that I am selling for $600, has a t3 flange. I will be at the meet tonight if you wanna take a peak at it.

Man I'd love it, but I don't have $600.

So I ordered the FMIC setup for $350CDN. If it works, great. I'm only shooting for 300WHP in the end. If it ends up sucking ass, then it's only $350 right...

Oh, Legendboy, I'll be getting a manifold from you for a GTR28RS sometime in the spring...

A790
09-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by TypeS
i take it your not selling the car anymore?;)

Nah man, I just can't seem to part with her ;)

Lo)2enz0
09-11-2005, 02:19 PM
i lowered the price but it is pending sale right now.

my fmic set up should be here anyday now. to bad the cold pipe needs to be modified a bit on those ssautochrome fmic's.

A790
09-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
i lowered the price but it is pending sale right now.

my fmic set up should be here anyday now. to bad the cold pipe needs to be modified a bit on those ssautochrome fmic's.
I take it you got one too? I'm a bit wary, given the SSAC doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation.

We'll see. Hopefully it will work out.

Lo)2enz0
09-11-2005, 02:43 PM
well the intercoolers aren't good enough to support over 300whp from what I have read. I bought one cause I am only looking at 250whp.

but from what some of the other people have been saying, they are decent. But they aren't an greddy s type, you get what you pay for...

A790
09-11-2005, 02:44 PM
It's cheap, and it's better than the stock SMIC.

When did you order yours, and when do you expect it?

dymz999
09-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Trust me there are way worse out there. Some of these tards on ebay are taking ford powerstroke radiators chopping them and welding on half decent end tanks and calling it a "high performance intercooler". At least the cores in these kits are half decent. Only issue is the pressure drop, but it is still an improvement. I heard some of the piping wasn't direct fit though, thats the only thing i heard.

A790
09-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Yea, I've heard that too. I'm going to get most of my stuff done through Autodream, so they can deal with it :P

SSAutochrome told me it'll ship this Tuesday, and should be here within two weeks. Gotta admit, quick reply and decent service so far. We'll see how everything holds out.

I'm just looking to support 250-300WHP at the moment, this IC setup should be okay for now.

At some point I may upgrade to a Megan Racing intercooler, but as it stands now, "budget build" is screaming my name :D

A790
09-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Got an e-mail from FedEx today- package has shipped and is expected to be here on the 21st.

Not too bad.

A790
09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
I/C was delivered today from FedEx ground.

Everything looks to be pretty decent actually, and it arrived BEFORE their estimate.

So far, nothing but good things to say about SSAC and their shipping. :thumbsup:

dj_rice
09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Awesome stuff :thumbsup: I'm waitin on my SSA manifold

A790
09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
The intercooler is HUGE

2 feet long, 1 foot tall and 3.5" thick!!!

I'll get some pics up when I get the internet at my place.

93hustler
09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
You get what you pay for :dunno:

Their manifolds work, but are thin gauge tubing and look cheezy

Their intercoolers work but are not made from optimal cores, are polished and look cheezy

Their wastegates work but some break

Their turbo work but for how long

:thumbsup:

vietdood
11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
update on how the intercooler works?

how's the manifold dj_rice? i'm thinking of ordering my manifold from them too but half the people says it's great, and the other half says it's complete crap

dj_rice
11-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by vietdood
update on how the intercooler works?

how's the manifold dj_rice? i'm thinking of ordering my manifold from them too but half the people says it's great, and the other half says it's complete crap

The mani's actually pretty good...apparantly the newer generations have a thicker flange and come with welded brackets, the older ones were thin and always cracked hence all the stories you'd heard...my mani came stainless steel and silver color lol and now its gold and purplish with my turbo use....

But for my budget and power goals and time issues, this was the best bang for the buck....so all in all......its good enough for me

But ask me again in 6 months lol

spike98
11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
I ordered there header for my 200sx and i will post up what i find when i get it.

vietdood
11-16-2005, 06:05 PM
How thick if the flange on the ssac manifold dj_rice?

team_fc3s
11-20-2005, 02:25 PM
any updates?

hollywood_35
11-20-2005, 06:15 PM
I thought SSAC was pure child labour bs until I went to 240sxforums.com and apparently they make the best bang for the buck 3" catback around. Everyone is skeptical but they get flamed by people who own them because they're actaully good quality. So far the exhausts are the only thing I'd trust from them, I haven't heard too many people going nuts over their manifolds though, they lost a lot of cred for selling the flimsy manifolds that cracked to shit.