PDA

View Full Version : turbo rebuilds?

b_t
09-03-2005, 02:46 PM
how much would it cost to rebuild a T3/T4? does Alamo rebuild them, or do they only order in the parts and whatnot?
it looks like my turbo sucked something up, left a mark on two of the blades, has a tiny bit of shaft play (not much to worry about), but it smokes while running and leaks oil into the compressor side, which may not be so good.
Any idea how long I could drive it like this for?

blizare
09-03-2005, 11:52 PM
shitty dOOd.

How much is the replacement cost of the turbo? I'm sure you could get it rebuilt but you could also buy a new one for a little more and not have to deal with getting it rebuilt ie: never the same as new :P

b_t
09-04-2005, 01:13 AM
hmm new I am thinking it would be $800ish :) might have to stick with a rebuild for now haha :D

^SkylinE^
09-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Just got my T3 rebuilt at alamo. Great service, done in a day and runs great. I had the same problem as you oil in my charge pipes, smoking at idle. They clean it up really nice too you would never know that its and old turbo once you get it back. Just over 500$ for my AiResearch T3.

Go with the Rebuild!:thumbsup: :burnout: !!!

Edit heres the number its in my phone just thought it might make things easy. 274-6211

Primer_Drift
09-04-2005, 03:09 AM
A L A M O
:thumbsup:
Its generally $450 for a rebuild, and you can trust everything is balanced and assembled correctly. Just look at the wall of certifications when you walk in.

I wouldn't drive it around too much. By the sounds of it you had oil flow related problems which could cause more damage to the internals if you don't fix it soon.

tsi_neal
09-04-2005, 10:08 AM
unless there is physical damage to the turbo its something that any half competent home mechanic can do themselves, for about 150 youll get a rebuild kit that has pretty well everything youll need. The biggest thing youll need to be carefull with is when you dissamble the wheels mark EVERYTHING and make sure all your marks line up PERFECTLY on reassembly, then you wont have to get the unit balanced. other than that rebuilding a turbo probably wont take you an hour. If the compressor wheel is damaged and you need a new one it will need to get balanced and im not sure what alamo charges for balancing on its own... but id feel really ripped off if i got charged 450 for a basic rebuild.

calgarys13
09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
i have a t78 29d im also looking to get rebuilt, is the cost alot more for a turbo of this size?

dcoultis
09-04-2005, 05:06 PM
i never knew it cost 500 for a rebuild, jesus.

fast&dangr
09-21-2005, 05:52 PM
If you can sucessfully operate a light switch, you can rebuild your own damn turbo. $100 for a rebuild kit and $80 for a balance is a little gooder.