PDA

View Full Version : Got into an accident, question/opinion:

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2005, 05:58 PM
so thursday night we went out. 4 cars driving on 36th ST NE just in front of T&T supermarket. cars are X - A - B - C. We were suppose to go down by 16ave/center street area.

I was driving car B. We all know each other.

So X took the wrong turn off, to 16ave east, we didnt follow cause we knew its suppose to be west. He soon realized his mistake and cut thru the "off ramp" sorta to a "hidden" left turn type thing, off the main road. basically what he did, was cut from the median type thing back into our lane.

https://webdisk.ucalgary.ca/~vwclaw/public_html/shit.JPG

He didnt see there was a car in front on the red line so he braked hard. Car A saw what happened so slam on his brake barely made it without hitting car X. I couldnt see him cut back in, i was also ready to break cuase it was a redlight. But soon i realized that car A actually slamed on his brakes so i did the same. Only to found that it was all too late so i nailed him, car went under his bumper kinda thing. Car C did the same to my car. So now we have a 3 car collision. Car X got off without any damage.

My front is now fucked, i need new rad, rad support, pass side headlight, front bumper, power steering bottle, hood. rear bumper can still be fix still a mess. Car A needs a new rear bumper and car C needs new front bumper and hood.

Car X driver realized that he did caused the accident and aplogized to everyone, told us that he will get Car A fixed. And i'll be on my own and same with Car C. We were cool with that.

Today we got the quote and now Car X refuses to pay for any repair, or 50% for car A at best. He also tried to blame it on the car in front of him, car A,B,C drivers etc. Said it was an instint split decision to run back into our lane. (a wrong decision at that). Also how he doesnt have money and all that BS).

so now what we can do:

1. Car X pays for A, i pay my own, Car C pay on his own. ( was the plan)

2. Everyone pays for their own cars, even car A. (which i think is dumb, since car A did nothing wrong).

3. File police report against car X who casused the
accident, he get's a nice ticket with reckless driving, insurance goes up (will he get that ticket if all 5 of us file against him????), we all lose a "friend". I pay for A and my own car. (im leaning more to this if it does happen)

4. I also heard that if we file a police report and get insruance to deal with it. They will go after Car X and none of our premium will up, is that right?

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2005, 06:00 PM
oh btw, we werent speeding or following too close, there was some heavy traffic on that road. I just didnt expect the car in front to brake so hard, cuase i couldnt see car X cut in. and according to my passenger and Car A's passenger, everything was just unexpected and it wasnt any of A, B ,C's fault

stevieo
09-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm sure thre are reasons when you rear end people and don't get an at fault...

this might be it, if the guy in car x is cutting back on to the road from an off ramp and slams his brakes causing a pile up i seriously think it should be on him.

IncredibleToad
09-03-2005, 06:18 PM
tell your friend to suck it up and pay it, shit happens, just deal with it

X taking a wrong turn would not have been the end of the world, just woulda cost u guys 5 extra minutes, instead of thousands in repairs....kind of a reckless cut-in back onto the lane...

Car X should be at fault, i think its quite clear that the cutting back onto the road was terrible judgement, make him PAY!

t-im
09-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Car X should be paying for everyones damages. I think it's pretty irresponsible of him to cut through like that...at least he could have waited to go behind all your guys cars or something.

Anyways, if possible, i'd just go through insurance etc and deal with it like that if it's possible, and hopefully you won't be 'at fault.' Screw the whole 'friendship' thing and how "you can deal with this a better way since he's your friend'..since he seems to be being a dick about it.

Mr. Burns
09-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I would choose option 3 for sure. Screw him, he fucked up and expects you guys to pay for it?? He obviously isn't a very good friend.

DannyO
09-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mrburnsvw
I would choose option 3 for sure. Screw him, he fucked up and expects you guys to pay for it?? He obviously isn't a very good friend.

+1

Sorry to hear about that Vince.

FiveFreshFish
09-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
4. I also heard that if we file a police report and get insruance to deal with it. They will go after Car X and none of our premium will up, is that right?

You and the driver of Car C could get tickets for following too closely if it's reported to the cops. Just my guess.

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

You and the driver of Car C could get tickets for following too closely if it's reported to the cops. Just my guess.

but car A driver - passenger / car B passenger can both prove that we werent following too close. and the impact was 1-2 seconds after. the thing is, i think we hit casued no one was expecting the sudden stop/

Weapon_R
09-03-2005, 07:12 PM
You guys will get tickets for following too close. If you weren't, none of this would have happened. Also, if the light was red, you were going way too fast to have an accident since the turnoff to 16th and the light are pretty close to each other, and it's uphill so for that amount of damage you guys were going too fast.

I'd screw X over too - he's the guy who caused the whole accident.

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You guys will get tickets for following too close. If you weren't, none of this would have happened. Also, if the light was red, you were going way too fast to have an accident since the turnoff to 16th and the light are pretty close to each other, and it's uphill so for that amount of damage you guys were going too fast.

I'd screw X over too - he's the guy who caused the whole accident.

good point. But like I said, none of us expected him to cut in and take out the braking distances we had. So he's still at fault here.

Hopefully no ticket for us tho.. even so, i'll take it and still fuck him over if i have to. Its just irresponsible in his part.

FiveFreshFish
09-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Also how he doesnt have money and all that BS).

To save face, the driver of Car X should sell his car to pay for the damages.

t-im
09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
To save face, the driver of Car X should sell his car to pay for the damages.

That would be ideal, but realistically, people are too selfish to do that. When it comes to money and friendship, people are pretty shameless about it. I'm sure he doesn't care about saving face!

Hopefully you guys won't have to pay for any of the damages, and it'll all come from him (whether from his pocket or insurance).

AsianCaucasian
09-04-2005, 12:12 AM
:( Vince, Car X has decided to pay $500 for my car.

Xtrema
09-04-2005, 01:21 AM
I would've call the cops no matter what since there're over $1K of damages. I won't even take the words of my relatives, let alone an acquaintence (from what I gathered).

I hope you guys call the cops and has everything recorded.

It would've been sweet to have X admitted fault on paper, right there, that night in front of police. I would've been easier to get insurance off X.

Also, B may also be a bit screwed because you may have to share a bit of fault for taking away stopping distance from A and C. (Even though instinctively, it should be safe to do so.

motto_adrenelin
09-04-2005, 01:24 AM
vince just talk to any insurance company and see what they say it doesn't have to be yours. I am sorry but car X should own up, thats a rookie move and it was very stupid!

88CRX
09-04-2005, 01:35 AM
If this was random stranger it would be completely different.... but being that its a couple friends makes it a real bad situation.

Hope everything works out for you.

hampstor
09-04-2005, 02:07 AM
It will be seen as 2 seperate incidents by the police...

B hitting A
C hitting B

having seen many of these incidents before, unless you can get X to claim responsibility for all damages then the most cost effective way int he long run is for each owner to pay for his/her car. If you go through insurance, your premiums will increase.

If the person in car X was a friend, he would pay for car A's damages. Since it doesn't look like he's going to, I think it would be safe to say it wouldn't be a good idea to keep him as a friend anyway.

good luck!

Team_Mclaren
09-04-2005, 03:42 AM
hmm.. well that's pretty gay. Is there a way that we still fix it ourselves but still file the report and get X in some kind of shit? I mean if im fucked over and have to pay for Car A I will. Just that I can't justify letting Car X go for nothing. If i'm fucked then might as well drag him down with me.

I'm willing to go as far as getting a lawyer and fight it out or somethin, but that's the last thing i wanted to do. Screw the whole friend thing, if he wants to go and fuck us all over then i'll make sure there are something for him too.

dooman24
09-04-2005, 09:06 AM
yea..
car X will get a wreckless driving ticket..
rear ending.. following too close..
you're suppose to make space for any kind of emergency that could happen.. like in this case.. the dude that crossed over the median.. and the car A slamed his brake.. you're suppose to leave enough space to stop without hitting him..
well thats what i think..
good luck to you guys..

camaro
09-04-2005, 09:26 AM
tell them you have rear drums so your braking sucks, they might throw out the following too close ticket. I know on my talon even if I were like 30 feet away from the guy yet I slammed on the brakes my car would still hit, probably not hard at all but still...

Team_Mclaren
09-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by t-im

That would be ideal, but realistically, people are too selfish to do that. When it comes to money and friendship, people are pretty shameless about it. I'm sure he doesn't care about saving face!

I agree with you, plus he told me that night that he has enough money to go and order 1700 worth of suspension parts this week. :guns:

FiveFreshFish
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Is the driver of Car X a beyond member?

3G
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM

:werd: sorry to hear that man thats :bullshit:

philipoo
09-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Car X must be a shitty ass friend. File a report and goto couRT!

Weapon_R
09-04-2005, 12:29 PM
You guys should at least obtain written proof of his willingness to pay should he decide to do so. I can understand that paying all of the repairs can be very expensive but you guys can work out a payment schedule between each other. If you have written consent, it proves his admission of liability and can be used in small claims court later on should he decide to screw around. It's funny how a 'friend' becomes when there is money or girls around.

3G
09-04-2005, 12:32 PM
It's funny how a 'friend' becomes when there is money or girls around.

That's soo true

PlatinumAutoDetailing
09-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Yes, everyone involved is a beyond member.. lol

You guys should at least obtain written proof of his willingness to pay should he decide to do so. I can understand that paying all of the repairs can be very expensive but you guys can work out a payment schedule between each other. If you have written consent, it proves his admission of liability and can be used in small claims court later on should he decide to screw around. It's funny how a 'friend' becomes when there is money or girls around.

As soon as he agrees to pay for any of the damage, we will make him sign a written proof. We are only asking him to pay for the damage for car A. Nothing else. The damage is around 1000 while my damage is well over 2000.

What kind of friend fucks with his own friends, that's just low. Fuck him if he wants to screw me over, i'll drag him down with me any way i can!:guns:

BTW: this is Vince at the shop...

3G
09-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by PlatinumAutoDetailing

What's this traitors name?

Weapon_R
09-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by PlatinumAutoDetailing

As soon as he agrees to pay for any of the damage, we will make him sign a written proof. We are only asking him to pay for the damage for car A. Nothing else. The damage is around 1000 while my damage is well over 2000.

What kind of friend fucks with his own friends, that's just low. Fuck him if he wants to screw me over, i'll drag him down with me any way i can!:guns:

Legally, I think he is only liable for car A anyways. Car B was following too close. As I mentioned earlier, the accident occured on an uphill climb and you mentioned the light was red, so you guys should have really only been going 20km/h max. The extent of the damage shows a lot more than that, however.

Zero102
09-04-2005, 03:58 PM
It's unfortunate, but...
If car A stopped in time, then how is it that if cars B and C were both paying attention to the road, and following at a proper distance that there was an accident at all?...
One of 3 things must be the case, either they weren't paying attention, they were following too close, or the cars in question were not in roadworthy condition.

hampstor
09-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by camaro
tell them you have rear drums so your braking sucks, they might throw out the following too close ticket. I know on my talon even if I were like 30 feet away from the guy yet I slammed on the brakes my car would still hit, probably not hard at all but still...

unfortunately, i'm sure if you say that then you are aware your brakes are poor. Therefore you should leave more room to brake...

it's a shitty situation to be in.

Team_Mclaren, all of you guys should sit down and try to come to a mutually agreeable solution BEFORE you pursue any legal action. I'm sure all of you are reasonable people that got caught up in the heat of the moment .... just try to work it out before calling a lawyer.

Team_Mclaren
09-05-2005, 12:38 AM
well looks like it should be sort out pretty quick here. Looks like Car X is now willing to take up the damage on Car A. Which is what he promised to do.

Damage is not THAT bad, My car got it bad cause it went under Car A. No frame damage, didnt even touch the front rebar.

Luckily I can get it fix for one hell of a deal (almost lower than cost). So it's not THAT bad...

Team_Mclaren
09-05-2005, 12:39 AM

Hakkola
09-05-2005, 01:54 AM
ouch man, sorry to see what happened, good to hear it should all be sorted out though.
Thankfully it's happened near the end of the good driving season, not the beginning.

Hope the cars are all fixed soon.:thumbsup:

240droptop
09-05-2005, 02:15 AM
good to hear hopefully everything goes down as it should and everyone pays out what they should

Skyline_Addict
09-05-2005, 01:06 PM
well looks like it should be sort out pretty quick here. Looks like Car X is now willing to take up the damage on Car A. Which is what he promised to do.

Damage is not THAT bad, My car got it bad cause it went under Car A. No frame damage, didnt even touch the front rebar.

Luckily I can get it fix for one hell of a deal (almost lower than cost). So it's not THAT bad...

sounds like things are coming along then. :)
let me know if yo u need any help, vince.

ExRollen
09-05-2005, 01:18 PM
If you weren't speeding or following too closely, you shouldn't have gotten into an accident, because you would've had enough time and distance react to what was going on in front of you. Also, everybody will be liable for hitting the car in front of them, and I'm not sure about this, but you could all get charged with leaving the scene because the damage was in excess of of a thousand. Its a shitty thing to happen to you, but maybe its for the best cause you learned about people and hopefully a little bit about driving.

sabad66
09-05-2005, 01:57 PM
It's a shitty situation to be in, but I still fail to see how car x should be responsible for car a...I mean sure car X stopped abruptly, but car A stopped in time. By car A stopping in time (even if it was just barely), car X should be off the hook. If the two cars behind car a can't stop in time, how is that car x's fault? Anyways, good luck getting this all sorted out.

Hakkola
09-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Because it sounds like car X made a dangerous or illegal merge. That's like saying I cut you off and slammed on my brakes and you crash into me, then I say it's your fault because you didn't leave enough space.

sabad66
09-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Yeah and that would make sense if car A hit car X. But car A stopped in time so why couldn't everyone else?

Zero102
09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Bingo.
That's exactly my argument about the whole thing...

Team_Mclaren
09-06-2005, 10:09 PM
anyway, problem solved, thinks for all that helped out