PDA

View Full Version : University Dining

Euro_Trash
09-04-2005, 04:05 PM
What are some good meals to make while attending university? I am living off of campus, and I want to make food that is cheap, easy and healthy. Post all of your ideas! Thanks
Dan

Singel
09-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Brownbag it.

szw
09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Singel
Brownbag it.

wtf? Brownbag WHAT?

GingeRRRBeef
09-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Aka bring your own lunch :rofl:

WhiteNikes
09-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Safeway cross the street got 12 noodle packages for like $4. T'ain't hype food, t'ain't the best fo ya, but it sho be cheap.

nambis
09-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

idiots.....

Official Hoser
09-06-2005, 01:54 PM
It depends on whether you have access to a microwave. Personally, I don't trust the ones in Mac Hall (I heard the res students microwaved shit in there... could just be an urban legend, though).

I definitely recommend bringing your own drinks, since they're exactly the same at grocery stores but cost much less than on campus.

As for meal/snack ideas: power bars, those canned tuna salads (they already come mixed with seasoning, e.g. onion tomato, peanut sauce, etc. Check out the canned tuna aisle), V8, Heinz tomato juice, cheese. Sandwiches, of course.

AJL
09-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Go to Cost-Co and buy some really good food in bulk. Thats the best way ive found to do it.

AcuraTl
09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Official Hoser
It depends on whether you have access to a microwave. Personally, I don't trust the ones in Mac Hall (I heard the res students microwaved shit in there... could just be an urban legend, though).

I definitely recommend bringing your own drinks, since they're exactly the same at grocery stores but cost much less than on campus.

As for meal/snack ideas: power bars, those canned tuna salads (they already come mixed with seasoning, e.g. onion tomato, peanut sauce, etc. Check out the canned tuna aisle), V8, Heinz tomato juice, cheese. Sandwiches, of course.

:werd:

lots of people go to the subway there and stuff, waste of lots of money if you ask me. Try to stay away from such chains as Safeway and CO-OP and Sobeys, try to shop at walmart, or superstore...that will save you a bunch! try to drink fruit drinks rather than soft drinks, this will give you energy and get you through the day...just basically stay away from ALL fast food at the Uni, its greasy + expensive...hope this helped!! :thumbsup:

Mr. Burns
09-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I am all about sandwiches. Go to the grocery store and get some fresh buns/meat/veggies. It'll cost less than eating out, and it will be better. Can't go wrong.

szw
09-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

yea but he didn't ask what to bring for lunch...he asked what to make to eat! the answer doesn't fit the question

DarkDream
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Just go buy a lumber jack sandwich from safeway.... that will last you 3 or more days...... And i think they cost like 8 dollars or less....

nambis
09-07-2005, 11:05 AM
sometimes they have 2 packs of whole chickens on sale at safeway 2 for 1 (so you get 4 for the price of 2 which works out to like $4 for a whole chicken). buy 4 of 'em and freeze them, then you can justcook one of those bad boys (takes like 1 hour) and you get like 4 meals out of them. 2 dope dinners and lots of meat for sandwiches :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=69772

BerserkerCatSplat
09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by nambis
sometimes they have 2 packs of whole chickens on sale at safeway 2 for 1 (so you get 4 for the price of 2 which works out to like $4 for a whole chicken). buy 4 of 'em and freeze them, then you can justcook one of those bad boys (takes like 1 hour) and you get like 4 meals out of them. 2 dope dinners and lots of meat for sandwiches :thumbsup:

:werd: Whole chickens are awesome, especially when they're 2 for 1. I have like 5 in my freezer, plus the one for tonight! :D If you have access to a BBQ & rotissere, DO IT. BBQ chicken is awesome!

Lilac Wine
09-10-2005, 04:09 AM
I eat out all the time now :S
But when I was really low on funds I would make taco salad and a stir fry then have left overs for days.

Super_Geo
09-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Stir fry is pretty cheap and very easy. Go to the store, find some medium grade beef, get some veggies and teriyaki sauce. Cut up the beef into strips, cook for 2-3 mins on high, chuck in the veggies and add the sauce.

Pasta is also a good one that's cheap.