PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Kickboxing / Muay Thai gyms

mac_82
09-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Alright I am in the process of looking for a new gym to train at. I am posting with the hopes that fellow Beyonders can help me out. I am looking for one preferably in the SW, but anywhere will do if the gym is pretty good. Closer to home would be better with the cost of gas these days.

I do not want to train at Mike Miles, anywhere else would be considered. I am looking for a place that I can train 3-4 days a week, and with a flexible class schedule because of my work schedule. I am seriously looking into going to BDB martial arts, but it is quite the drive for me. Does anyone know if the old Sun center, now "The Space" still offers kickboxing?

I have been training for 2.5 years, and I have also trained in Thailand, so a noob I am not. I am looking for a good competetive place to train, I don't compete but I want to come close to that training level.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I searched and couldn't find any decent info.
Thanks for the help guys and gals :D

JAYMEZ
09-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I trained at National Kick boxing on 11ave.. He was a world champion kick boxer... Defiantly check him out . his name is Chris

hockeybronx
09-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
I do not want to train at Mike Miles

Just a question, I was thinking of getting into Muay Thai, why did you rule out Mike Miles' gym?

mx3gtx
09-05-2005, 12:20 AM
ill send you a PM tommorow with some good gym info.

(ecstasy_civic)

mroseneder
09-05-2005, 02:08 AM
BDB Martial Arts. Wicked cool guys.

JAYMEZ
09-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Just a question, I was thinking of getting into Muay Thai, why did you rule out Mike Miles' gym?

Because he is one of those ppl who you just hate for being a show off prick , i went there for a while , and I couldnt stand his personality and HUGE ego. I mean I saw him "spar" with a noobie and just beat him down with no challenge... I dont find that cool , of course your going to win against a noob.

ecstasy_civic
09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

Because he is one of those ppl who you just hate for being a show off prick , i went there for a while , and I couldnt stand his personality and HUGE ego. I mean I saw him "spar" with a noobie and just beat him down with no challenge... I dont find that cool , of course your going to win against a noob.

:rofl: :thumbsup:
hit-nail-on-head lol

mac_82
09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
I am also looking at the Dragon's Den. But they only offer muay thai classes twice a week, which is a bummer. Can anyone else help me out?

finboy
09-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know if the old Sun center, now "The Space" still offers kickboxing?

i went there last winter for a gym course, ashley was the instructor and he is a really great guy. dunno how their advanced courses are though :dunno:

Troy
09-21-2005, 11:40 PM
anyone know of any places in edmonton? muay thai is somthing im considering getting into

Chim
09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
I am also looking at the Dragon's Den. But they only offer muay thai classes twice a week, which is a bummer. Can anyone else help me out?

Although I can't help you out with the twice-a-week thing, I have to vouch for Dragons Den. I train there on Tuesdays and the quality of instruction is top notch. There's usually 2 instructors, Don and Jim, and 4-6 students. So basically you're getting almost a private lesson from two guys who really know their stuff.

You should definitely give it a try :thumbsup:

black_2.5RS
09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I've been looking for a good school and will definitely check it out.

nj2Type-S
09-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Chim

Although I can't help you out with the twice-a-week thing, I have to vouch for Dragons Den. I train there on Tuesdays and the quality of instruction is top notch. There's usually 2 instructors, Don and Jim, and 4-6 students. So basically you're getting almost a private lesson from two guys who really know their stuff.

how much are their monthly fees??? is this the Dragon's Den on 9th ave SE or something???

ecstasy_civic
09-26-2005, 10:59 PM
ya its just in inglewood right before the bridge

nj2Type-S
09-26-2005, 11:34 PM
i'm very interested in this...i was gonna go to mike miles this friday but maybe this place is worth checking out of it means less students in each class. does anyone know how much they charge? do they have a website or anything? thanx.

ecstasy_civic
09-26-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.dragonsden.net/classes.html

I would SERIOUSLY consider going to these guys though,
http://www.bdbma.com/

Nick and Brian are AMAZING instructors

bigbadboss101
09-26-2005, 11:47 PM
I heard great stuff about Brian's gym.

Dragon's Den, check this out. http://www.graciebarracalgary.com/

ecstasy_civic
09-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I heard great stuff about Brian's gym.

Dragon's Den, check this out. http://www.graciebarracalgary.com/

Ryan's a great guy too, im going to check it out tommorow night

mac_82
09-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Right on thanks for the help guys. BDB and Dragon's Den are my top choices, but Dragon's Den only has muay thai 2 times a week. Talking to the owner at the den he recommended some camps in Thailand and I ended up going to one of them, he is a super nice guy. :thumbsup:

nj2Type-S
09-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
http://www.dragonsden.net/classes.html

I would SERIOUSLY consider going to these guys though,
http://www.bdbma.com/

Nick and Brian are AMAZING instructors

thanx for the link, man! imma give BDB a call today! :thumbsup:

nj2Type-S
09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
alright, i've decided to go w/ BDB, anyone else thinking of signing up? haha

mac_82
09-27-2005, 06:39 PM
I am waiting on my work schedule for the winter, I might have to work a lot of 3pm-11pm sorta shifts, so until I figure that out I am holding off on signing up. But BDB is #1 on my list.

ecstasy_civic
09-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Good choice you guys, you wont be dissapointed:thumbsup: :bigpimp:

nj2Type-S
09-27-2005, 06:48 PM
^^^ are u in it?

ecstasy_civic
09-27-2005, 06:55 PM
No but I know Nick and Brian lol

Im just training with a few retired fighters and heading to Detroit to train there @ MASH/Eastside Combat Club.

If things dont work out there im coming back to train @ BDB

I like the idea of the Gracie Barra gym, but right now they dont offer full MMA and thats what I need.

nj2Type-S
09-27-2005, 06:58 PM
well, i was still leaning towards mike miles but bdb is likle 10 mins from my house...lol

Loose
09-27-2005, 07:07 PM
bdb is an affiliate of Mike Miles. You can train at both if you get a membership at either.

nj2Type-S
09-27-2005, 07:09 PM
really? haha dang, i didn't know that! i guess that's pretty cool too hehe...thanx for the heads up :thumbsup:

but driving 10 mins beats taking the train to downtown anytime! hehe.

mac_82
09-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Loose
bdb is an affiliate of Mike Miles. You can train at both if you get a membership at either.

I didn't think they were affiliated anymore? Thought Mike Miles was scaling back, loosing the gym at the sun centre, etc etc. I could be wrong though because I was out of the country when it all went down.

hockeybronx
09-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
alright, i've decided to go w/ BDB, anyone else thinking of signing up? haha

I was surprised to see just how much their fees actually are. Does anybody know with the yearly membership, does that include use of weights/cardio equipment as well?

And also I read that with the memberships you can go in and train as often as you want. How does that work with classes? Do they just fit you into a class where you pick up where you left off or are all the classes the same?

Yeah I know I should give them a call, but I'm seeing if anyone on here knows first.

bigbadboss101
09-28-2005, 10:27 AM
How much is BDB? Like $70 I think I saw last time I checked. I had membership for Hi Performance and paid about $70 for weights, martial arts etc. It was far from me and I cancelled. BDB is not closed to me. The old 16Ave location would have been ok. Dragon's Den is far from home, close to work. I want something really close. Silvercity location would be great.

Chim
09-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Dragons Den muay thai is $12 for a drop-in session, and $60/month for Tuesday and Thursday classes.

The gracie barra school is okay, I attended their trial session last week. There were a lot of students and the techniques they were teaching seemed a bit advanced (I saw a few blue belts looking around cluelessly). Usually advanced techniques are okay but there were so many students and just one instructor, so it was frustrating just to find out how to do the drill.

mac_82
10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Anyone know anything about National High Performance, or whatever they are calling it at Currie Barracks? I know the used to be affiliated with Mike Miles, but then they weren't, and then I heard they shut down for a bit, but are possibly openening up soon? Anyone know?

MundoModerno
06-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I used to train at Arashi Do, classes are on Monday and Wednesday from 8 to 9. But i found their location a bit far, so i ended up switching to Dragons Den instead where i train at right now.

There's Mike Miles Gym, but i dislike how some of his students claim that they're the only real kickboxing gym in Calgary, and one student was telling me the muay thai/kickboxing i learned is garbage. I'm like how can one say such things if they haven't even seen me train. With people like that i have no interest in training at Mike Miles gym which is why i went to Dragon's Den instead.

TomcoPDR
06-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Chim

Gary's not running the place no more?

Whiley
06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
not meaning to hi-jack thread, but which of these places mentioned (above) would you guys suggest for a complete novice/newbie?

Kritafo
06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
anyone know the guy he used to be for hire to go into countries and get kids out. He had all sorts of military tactical training and lives up in the SW like Westhills. I met him at Dragons Den once upon a time, I use to have his website I think it was called nationaldefense or something.... but can't remember his name.

Just with all the talk of Dragons Den... made me think of him.

nj2Type-S
06-03-2008, 02:08 PM
^chuck norris? :dunno: lol, jk...

lol, this thread is old...it's how i found bdb, though! :thumbsup:

MundoModerno
06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
its totally up to you, but i train at Dragons Den, i pay 12 dollars each class i go to. With my busy work schedule, i don't want to commit myself to paying once a month for classes.

Originally posted by Whiley
not meaning to hi-jack thread, but which of these places mentioned (above) would you guys suggest for a complete novice/newbie?

cityhunter2501
07-16-2008, 09:34 PM
anyone got hookups with BDB?

I want to enroll now but due to my work, during summer I have to travel 1-2 weeks a month so will be missing 2-4 classes a month

also what are the uniforms and how much will they cost me? im planning to do muay thai for the time being although interested on bjj aswell

also usually how many people usually show up per session?

nj2Type-S
07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
anyone got hookups with BDB?

I want to enroll now but due to my work, during summer I have to travel 1-2 weeks a month so will be missing 2-4 classes a month

also what are the uniforms and how much will they cost me? im planning to do muay thai for the time being although interested on bjj aswell

also usually how many people usually show up per session?

for pricing on enrollment, monthly fees, equipment and class schedule, please visit http://www.bdbma.com (http://www.bdbma.com/).

you don't need to buy your equipment in the gym if you'd rather buy it from other stores (i.e. dragon's den, kicks, ebay, etc.).

class sizes for muay thai on weekdays can get pretty big; the biggest i've seen so far is 27 students in 1 class. i suggest going to a saturday class for your first time as it will definitely be a smaller class; average class size on a saturday is approx. 10 students. i can't comment on the class size for bjj classes as i usually go to the muay thai classes but maybe kerry can fill you in on that since he used to train at bdb.

if you have yet to drop by, i suggest giving it a try first. there's a 2 week trial for those interested and you can show up for all classes (muay thai, bjj, wrestling and capoeira) in that 2 week trial period.

pm me if you've got more questions. goodluck! :thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
07-17-2008, 08:47 AM

for pricing on enrollment, monthly fees, equipment and class schedule, please visit http://www.bdbma.com (http://www.bdbma.com/).

you don't need to buy your equipment in the gym if you'd rather buy it from other stores (i.e. dragon's den, kicks, ebay, etc.).

class sizes for muay thai on weekdays can get pretty big; the biggest i've seen so far is 27 students in 1 class. i suggest going to a saturday class for your first time as it will definitely be a smaller class; average class size on a saturday is approx. 10 students. i can't comment on the class size for bjj classes as i usually go to the muay thai classes but maybe kerry can fill you in on that since he used to train at bdb.

if you have yet to drop by, i suggest giving it a try first. there's a 2 week trial for those interested and you can show up for all classes (muay thai, bjj, wrestling and capoeira) in that 2 week trial period.

pm me if you've got more questions. goodluck! :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply, I sent an email to Sheila yesterday and they replied to me at 10:58pm with lots of useful information.

I might try that 2 week trial period first considering my plan was to start in august, might check it out this afternoon at 6pm as it seems like 6-6:30pm is the beginners introductory classes but will also definetly stop by saturday.

what do you guys usually do during the training sessions and what should I bring/wear, just shorts and a shirt?

for how long have you been going to BDB nj2?

black_2.5RS
07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I saw a sign on 16th ave (close to the old folks home) for a new Muay Thai place called the "Institute of Muay Thai". Not sure if anyone has been or heard of it. Thinking about calling them up since it's way close to my house than BDB

GREENBOY
07-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Anyone know of anywhere you can train in the mornings. I work 12-8 but looking to start training again...even maybe pay more for one on one? Most places in Calgary seem to be evenings only though.

nj2Type-S
07-17-2008, 09:24 AM

thanks for the reply, I sent an email to Sheila yesterday and they replied to me at 10:58pm with lots of useful information.

I might try that 2 week trial period first considering my plan was to start in august, might check it out this afternoon at 6pm as it seems like 6-6:30pm is the beginners introductory classes but will also definetly stop by saturday.

what do you guys usually do during the training sessions and what should I bring/wear, just shorts and a shirt?

for how long have you been going to BDB nj2?

shiela's awesome, man! i'm not embarassed to say that i get my ass beat up by her everytime, hahaha!

yep! there's a beginner's class on thursday afternoon which is very useful. it's better to start off doing the techniques correctly rather than fixing it up later on so these beginner classes provides newer students the basic techniques so that they'll get the hang of things much better.

for your first class, just bring a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. the gym does provide gloves but i personally wouldn't even touch them, lol.

each class varies in routines. there are days when we spend time working on flexibility by stretching and other times, we just jump into it with techniques, pad work, bag work and sparring; you don't have to spar until you feel comfortable doing so.

i go to the tuesday, friday and saturday classes so i won't be there tonight. i'll be in saskatoon on the weekend so i won't be there on saturday, either. if you want, drop by next tuesday and i'll introduce you to other members there so it won't be too awkward for you being your first time.

i've been training at bdb for 3 yrs now this october. i actually found bdb through this thread so i'm pretty grateful about that. holla at me if you need more info!

:thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
07-21-2008, 11:19 AM
went last saturday and enjoyed it, my shins and feet are killing me from the kicks and bought gloves and shin guards already.

those gloves for non-members reeks like hell, going this tuesday and thursday again

nj2Type-S
07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
hahah, nice, man! glad you enjoyed it....did nick teach on saturday? did he make you guys do a bunch of drills with the punching bags? those are hell, man...

hahha, what did i tell you about those gloves..get your own, dude...say hi tomorrow when you go...

cityhunter2501
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
hahah, nice, man! glad you enjoyed it....did nick teach on saturday? did he make you guys do a bunch of drills with the punching bags? those are hell, man...

hahha, what did i tell you about those gloves..get your own, dude...say hi tomorrow when you go...

no kidding, almost wanted to puke after I got my hands off those gloves, so immediately bought a pair for my self and shin guards.
anything else that I need to get?

for the first 30 min we did stretchings, then next 30 were tecniques/drills and last one was the 6 rounds with punching bags (my feets/shins have bruises) but damn that felt good. alternating between kicking and punch/kicks

nick was a nice guy overall and so are the members I met saturday, there was only 5 of us, later on 2 more guys showed up.
will definetly go every tuesday, thursday and saturdays whenever Im in town, later on ill start taking the bjj classes as well

Dirty_SOHC
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
those gloves for non-members reeks like hell, going this tuesday and thursday again

Sorry for the thread hijack!

What do you guys do to keep your gloves clean and smelling fresh? My 16Oz are starting, to have seen better days!:barf:

nj2Type-S
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
yeah, nick's awesome, dude...same w/ the members, man...really helpful and they're pretty chill...

i got my shit off ebay cuz i don't like the gloves that they sell there...ohh, get a cup if you plan on sparring, lol...

tomt64
07-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I was reading on the Mike Miles site, they said they had 2 locations in cal but I could only see the one off of Glenmore and Blackfoot. That is pretty close to my work, just wondering where the other one is?
Im going to call them a call tomorrow, but just wondering if they have any beginner classes on weeknights?

Thanks for any info. :thumbsup:

G-Suede
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

What do you guys do to keep your gloves clean and smelling fresh? My 16Oz are starting, to have seen better days!:barf:

Yeah, buy new ones or get a couple pairs so you can alternate.

nj2Type-S
07-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC

i used to spray fabreeze on mine but my hands smelled so "fresh" after use and i kinda didn't like it.

Originally posted by tomt64

I was reading on the Mike Miles site, they said they had 2 locations in cal but I could only see the one off of Glenmore and Blackfoot. That is pretty close to my work, just wondering where the other one is?
Im going to call them a call tomorrow, but just wondering if they have any beginner classes on weeknights?

Thanks for any info.

the other gym is in the NW in ranchlands.

cityhunter2501
07-23-2008, 06:46 AM
hey nj was that silver rsx parked in front of BDB yours last night?
couldn't tell who you were as wow.. lots of people go there during the weekdays eh?
I was the one in white shirt and black shorts.

nj2Type-S
07-23-2008, 07:21 AM
hey, dude. yeah, that silver one's mine. i thought i saw a black integra...was that yours?

hmmm, i'm not sure which one you were. i think i saw like 3-4 new guys there last night but i couldn't go around asking cuz class had just started when we finished doing pads; i was the one holding pads for brad (tall, skinny dude) then i was hitting the bag afterwards.

i can't go this weekend again so say hi next tuesday. i'm the flip dude w/ the black/red shorts and the white gloves.

cityhunter2501
07-23-2008, 06:23 PM
hey, dude. yeah, that silver one's mine. i thought i saw a black integra...was that yours?

hmmm, i'm not sure which one you were. i think i saw like 3-4 new guys there last night but i couldn't go around asking cuz class had just started when we finished doing pads; i was the one holding pads for brad (tall, skinny dude) then i was hitting the bag afterwards.

i can't go this weekend again so say hi next tuesday. i'm the flip dude w/ the black/red shorts and the white gloves.

oh I think I know who you were, were you the one kicking the thai pads as well?

the integra is mine, after the 6 round session your car was gone already, was hoping to talk to the owner.

ill be going again tomorrow but cant this saturday

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 07:25 AM
yeah, i did pads at around 530 then i held for brad. there's another flip dude there who's got white gloves but he's taller and bigger...so yeah, not me, haha. i usually go home right after thai pads as i usually don't stay for class on weekdays.

i think i've gotta buy a new shirt cuz mine's all ripped and old, lol.

bigbadboss101
07-24-2008, 08:10 AM
No weights or cardio stuff at the studio? Hmmm I am starting to become interested. New to get in shape although I am only in Calgary Thursday after 7, to Monday morning. Working up North.

Haven't heard much about Fighter Nation of late. Both are in the NE, I live near Harvest Hills.

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
No weights or cardio stuff at the studio? Hmmm I am starting to become interested. New to get in shape although I am only in Calgary Thursday after 7, to Monday morning. Working up North.

Haven't heard much about Fighter Nation of late. Both are in the NE, I live near Harvest Hills.

unfortunately, there are no cardio equipment or weights in the gym. the latest addition thus far are a bunch of heavy bags. there are now 12, i think (they only had 1 bag for a long while).

i'm not sure if your schedule would work with the class schedules as thursday classes starts at 630pm and monday kickboxing classes are at 1pm. basically, you could only go on saturdays.

fighters' nation is basically 5 mins from bdb but i'm not sure of their class schedules. have you considered going to mike miles? they have a location in ranchlands in the NW.

bigbadboss101
07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Honestly I want to achieve couple things. One to get in vg shape and kickboxing and MMA would do that. If facility has weights, cardio, core training that would be perfect. I also want to do some strict self defence, perhaps any combinations of Kali, Ninjutsu, Jujitsu, JKD, disarming, or using anything for offense. Want to be able to defend my people cuz there are more and more thugs out there nowadays.

Don't know if anything fits that bill :-) Am I asking for too much?

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 08:41 AM
yeah, i'm looking for a place to learn kali/escrima but the only place i've found in calgary is charging WAY too much. i'll most likely try it out when i go back to the philippines next year, hehe.

i think fighters' nation or mike miles is pretty good if you're looking for a place with cardio equipment, weights as well as self-defence classes. i wish we had cardio equip. and weights at bdb. :(

but honestly, i don't know if pulling any martial arts move is a good idea when a guy's got a knife to your back or something...lol.

bigbadboss101
07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Kali etc... Dan Rutano did teach and I am not sure if he still does. May be it's somewhat private.

Guy at Dragon's Dan teaches too. I believe he and Gil Lafantasie both trained under Dan.

What? We can't defend with gun or knife pointing at our heads? The guy in Matrix did it, haha.

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
haha, you could try but it won't end well, hahah.

naw, not worth it, man....i'd just give the guy my wallet than risking getting killed, lol.

1slow7
07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
hey guys, me and a buddy of mine are looking at joining a gym, were looking for a place that provides boxing training aswell as MMA and muai thai....

i'm trying to do my research but which gym do you guys suggest to fit the bill?, i checked bdb but i dont see that they provide a bunch of boxing, maybe i wasnt looking deeply enough or i had missed it....

thanx in advance guys!...

nj2Type-S
07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
nope! bdb doesn't have boxing classes...some of my buddies from bdb goes to beaumont (sp?) for boxing, though...

1slow7
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
nope! bdb doesn't have boxing classes...some of my buddies from bdb goes to beaumont (sp?) for boxing, though...
do you happen to have any info on beaumont?...

einstein135
10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
I saw a sign on 16th ave (close to the old folks home) for a new Muay Thai place called the "Institute of Muay Thai". Not sure if anyone has been or heard of it. Thinking about calling them up since it's way close to my house than BDB

I heard its awesome, the class sizes are super small, good group of people and the instructor is awesome, apparently the cardio and warm up is insane. I think he is waiting to get some bag stands or something like that as well??
call them up, see what he says.