PDA

View Full Version : Problems with alignment when printing.

bksze
09-05-2005, 05:25 PM
The following situation pertains to a retail store computer.

Initially, the setup was a HP laser printer hooked up to an AMPM inventory control program. This allows receipts to be printed on a paper copy, not just as a till tape. Everything worked perfectly, until the printer sucked up a plastic bag. This caused the roller to jam up and basically cost more than it's replacement value to fix.

I installed a new printer to the computer, but ever since, the receipt print out has been flawed. Where originally it used times new roman font, the new printout is in arial. The alignment is completely off and it is no longer functional as a receipt. There is no print settings to change as it prints from the program. I'ev called the help line and the only thing they could suggest was to use another HP printer, which is what we're using. I've also tried finding a default setting in which to change the font or alignment however nothing seems to work.

The only useful information I can give is that the file to print is a dos text file. Is there anyway to do a print preview? Anyone familiar with dos text files? is there anyway to change the alignment?

The only other option is to call one of those nerds on call to come and figure it out, but I'm sure it's just a matter of settings, however getting to them is the problem.

There are no font or alignment options for printing out an invoice within the program itself, however the till tape is still perfectly fine when printing.

TIA

Davetronz
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Yup there is a way to do printer alignment in DOS through a batch file...
It however is NOT fun and you need to pull the codes (ASCII) for the printer...

I remember doing in school but you probably couldnt pay me enough to do it now :(

A print preview of a DOS file can be done by directing the print output to a file instead of the LTP1 port... Again something that isnt' a lot of fun...

I have a big enough fight with the invoice printers at work that I don't think I want to fight with someone elses printers too!!
Sorry man, maybe you can find another willing DOS guru around. I would do it but I really don't have the time to research it at this point...

bksze
09-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Can anyone direct me towards someone who can fix this problem?

Thanks