PDA

View Full Version : The Future of DaimlerChrysler: Discussion

Redlyne_mr2
09-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Jurgen Schrempp anounced last month that he will step down as CEO of of DC. Dieter will be taking over and some people are thinking that he may split up Benz and Chrysler. DC shares have gone up 10 percent since the announcement which is good for some of us. I did like Schrempp though he started with the company as an apprentice mechanic and worked his way up which is kick ass in my books. I just think he made some poor choices with MB.

Hakkola
09-06-2005, 11:53 PM
I thought this was in the paper over a month ago, I also heard something about some scandal that was going on in Africa that could be a part of why he's stepping down, not sure about how legitimate those rumours were, or even if it was fact.

I think there should still be some changes made at MB, but chrysler has made a massive turnaround since becoming daimlerchrysler, so I think breaking up the venture could be bad, however it might make a MB turnaround happen quicker.

Redlyne_mr2
09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Dammit this DC article is from last month!! Thanks Matt, Ive been away on holidays and hadnt read this edition yet. But yeah there have been various rumors going around.

Xtrema
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Chrysler has been the dumping ground for most MB technology. Which works out very well.

HRD2PLZ
09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
There was a very interesting book on the DaimlerChrysler merger written by Bill Vlasic called "Taken for A Ride" the cover then reads "How Daimler-Benz Drove off with Chrysler"
It was an interesting read... :)

TheBenzo
09-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I think benz should be improved, chrysler can keep building rental cars..

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Benz is in a tough spot, quality has declined but then again their prices have not really increased much which is a good thing. The bad thing is they are not aggressive enough in promoting the C class. They should be doing what BMW is doing and offering subventive finance rates, sales and promotions. The typical yuppie straight out of college into your first career car is the 3 series. You see them everywhere in Calgary because BMW makes them easy to afford. Thats what MB needs to do with the C. Hopefully the B class will help increase sales. The new SLK and MB already seem to be a hit.

HRD2PLZ
09-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The bad thing is they are not aggressive enough in promoting the C class. They should be doing what BMW is doing and offering subventive finance rates, sales and promotions. The typical yuppie straight out of college into your first career car is the 3 series. You see them everywhere in Calgary because BMW makes them easy to afford. Thats what MB needs to do with the C.

I have looked time and time again to lease a C-sport sedan but when you factor in the interest rates it doesn't seem worth it... I am a Benz guy, and would probably never buy a BMW but thats just my .02
Even if the interest rates were around the 5% range I would consider it, but at this point, there is so many other options for me.

Maxt
09-08-2005, 05:04 PM
I drive a rebadged MB... I own other "real" Dodges.. To me the company has kinda slid since the MB *cough* merger... They have had some technical influences which one would have thunk moved DC to the forefront of the pack in North America, but you cant load cars up with strange systems and european tech, dump into a market place with dealers that are not yet familiar with those systems.. Sure dealers have to evolve with the product, but if its done almost overnight, the dealers are left holding the bag with no tools, no parts, no bulletins, no FSM's, and really pissed off customers..
For instance, GM might put forth a new drivetrain management, but its usually similar enough in architecture to previous GM components, the support can easily adapt to it, and GM will introduce it in steps with support...
ALot of the DC stuff is like "here , sell it"... And the dealers have no idea how to even service it..
I had to special order an oil filter from chrysler for my vehicle, and was the first to do so at that city dealership...
My Dodge spent over 6 weeks getting repaired at one dealer, because of lack of parts, and know how... Having to fly transmissions in from Germany just doesn't cut it..Having a DC engineer say across a speaker phone, "fuck knows, let the customer take it to arbitration for a buy back", isnt cool either..

Chryslers cars stopped being exciting awhile back, the magnum/charger thing is kinda ughh, being a 4 door and all, the crossfire is a sharp looking car with no jam, the neon is the coolest thing Chrysler has made in awhile, and it itself predates the MB merger, the viper seems kinda stagnant, and seems to lose sales to the z6 about 8:1...
Bring back Bob Lutz...

nhlfan
09-08-2005, 06:32 PM
mercedes benz is making minimal profits right now, their profits have shrunk in the last couple of years. smartcar was expensive for them. chrysler and dodge are doing very well though.