PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Q

Bigchuckers
09-07-2005, 04:25 PM
What causes an alternator to constantly fail? I would assume its a short or something, its in a '89 Prelude, shes on like her 10th alternator now, no shop will look at it.

Primer_Drift
09-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Important question. What caused it to fail in the first place, or after what event did the alternator fail? Is this a built in regulator style alternator or external?

I had a similar problem on an 87 prelude, the problem was the external regulator was screwed. It was on the back of the dashboard fusebox in my car.. I replaced the alternator 4 times before realizing it was externally regulated :banghead:

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2005, 09:41 PM
It has to be a short somewhere in the system

Strugari
09-07-2005, 10:18 PM
The car does have an external regulator and may be adjustable.
There are two types of regulators, one adjustable, and one not. For the price of the regulator, I would say change it and eliminate that as a potential problem.:thumbsup:

Primer_Drift
09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Lots of thees cars at the wrecker, find out where the reg is and go grab one for $2

Bigchuckers
09-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys! I was reading through my Civic service manual and I noticed this regulator thing. I'm not sure what keeps causing it to fail. No shops want to look at it. The regulator is external...as mentioned I guess. Ill change that. Thanks alot guys!!!