PDA

View Full Version : Car starter won't work

Barking_Spidre
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
I've got an aftermarket remote car starter/door unlocker. About 2 weeks ago, my suv won't start with the button. The lights still flash, but i hear no attempt by the engine to start. The doors still unlock and lock. Another thing is normally, after like 2 minutes of pressing the unlock button, it would normally relock itself. It doesn't do that anymore.
I've tried both the pagers I have.

Wouldn't mind getting it fixed since it's getting cold out in the morning.

thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

SWX
09-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Sounds like it's in valet mode

Strugari
09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
What brand of remote starter is it?
How many light flashes do you get when you push the start button?:thumbsup:

Barking_Spidre
09-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Flashes 3 times. Not sure of the brand, but the pager says Ultra on it.

Strugari
09-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Turn the ignition on.

Push and hold the program button on the antenna until the horn chirps twice.

Turn the ignition off.

Should start now:thumbsup:

TaiChino
09-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Either that or it might be the hood pin, look to see if it's broken or bent, the starter may think the hood is open and it won't let it remote start.

Kobe
09-07-2005, 10:51 PM
same one i had.. tighten the hoodpin.. open the hood, and should be on the front right side...

Strugari
09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
The Ultra Start gives 5 flashes for a hoodpin problem. 3 flashes (slow) usually means it is in service mode. If it is 3 quick flashes on a standard model it means a door was opened.:thumbsup:

Barking_Spidre
09-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Strugari
Turn the ignition on.

Push and hold the program button on the antenna until the horn chirps twice.

Turn the ignition off.

Should start now:thumbsup:

I'll give that a shot! Thanks.

Barking_Spidre
09-08-2005, 07:13 PM
No luck. I started the engine, held down, first the long oval shaped button(bottom left), nothing happened. Held down the smaller of the buttons(bottom right) not used for locking, and nothing happened.

I noticed something, if i press the smaller button, my lights flash 5 times really fast, could that mean anything?

http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/5091/picture26jc.jpg

And my hood pin looks fine I think. But my opinion of what's broken and not doesn't really work haha.

EDIT: I forgot, it was installed when I bought the vehicle, so I don't have an owners manual or anything like that.

Strugari
09-08-2005, 09:36 PM
5 flashes usually means the hood switch is grounded out. Try disconnecting the hood switch wire from the hood switch and try the bottom right button.
Let me know what you get for a series of flashes then.:thumbsup: