PDA

View Full Version : Going to get a first car soon. Help!

philipoo
09-07-2005, 11:58 PM
I've had some thought and my father will be buying me my first car next year... I just wanted some opinions between the cars listed on the poll..

I'm looking for a car that can save on gas considering the crazy gas hikes. Also a car that has reliability + reasonable power.

Edit: I also have a price range of 5000-7500$..... lol =(

Redlyne_mr2
09-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Stay away from interference engines as a first car unless you know how to do jobs like changing and tensioning timing belts. Celica or 240 would be 2 great choices.

philipoo
09-08-2005, 12:12 AM
are nissan's reliable?

what is the engine platform of the 240sx...?

my favourite car is a integra but i wouldn't want to get anything else other than a gs-r..

is it really hard to find a gs-r or a 94+ integra for under 5 grand?

philipoo
09-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Kobe
if u want it for winter i'd say get a FWD car..

Integra

well.. vancouver or bc in particular barely have winter so yea.. =(

t-im
09-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by philipoo
is it really hard to find a gs-r or a 94+ integra for under 5 grand?

GS-R - yes.

94-95 Integra for under 5g...a 94 probably, but it'll likely have higher km's, and be in average shape.

IncredibleToad
09-08-2005, 12:22 AM
5g for a 94+ GS-R? yeah right it would have to be falling apart for that low of a price...

even finding a decent 94+ teg would be hard with 5g's i'm sure you wouldn't want to pour time, energy and money into constantly maintaining a beat up car...you wil have more luck spending $7500 if u want one that is decent

Seems like the integra is your best choice here the civic hatch would be a little lacking if you're not going to do some moderate modding imo...

working_on_iy
09-08-2005, 09:16 AM
The celeca is a fun car, and Toyota is always reliable!

QuasarCav
09-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Why not 92-93 integras?

The same engine in an arguably better looking body style and it will save you some cash.

mshaw
09-08-2005, 09:28 AM
for sure a tercel oh baby

heavyD
09-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Not going to find a great shape car for that price. Stay away from old 240's at all cost. You'll get DSM reliability minus DSM performance as well it's probably the worst car since 70"s Hondas & Datsuns for rust. If you can find a decent Integra, Corolla, Civic, or Celica you should be happy as they can all be realiable if the previous owner took the proper care. Don't get stuck on one model or trim range if you only have $5000 to spend. Buy the car that is in the best condition for the money.

Carfanman
09-08-2005, 02:07 PM
If you want to avoid paying an arm and a leg for gas each week, then I'd recommed getting a hybrid. It may cost a little more initially, but I'd bet that the price difference between hybrid and non-hybrid will pay for itself (and then some) over the next year, in what you save at the pump.

90Tegra
09-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Why not 92-93 integras?

The same engine in an arguably better looking body style and it will save you some cash.

i used to say that too. till i saw them dc's with jdm frontends

stevieo
09-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra

i used to say that too. till i saw them dc's with jdm frontends

dc2 + jdm front end = about 3-4 times more money than a da/dbs

habsfan
09-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
If you want to avoid paying an arm and a leg for gas each week, then I'd recommed getting a hybrid. It may cost a little more initially, but I'd bet that the price difference between hybrid and non-hybrid will pay for itself (and then some) over the next year, in what you save at the pump.

and you expect him to find a hybrid for 5-7 grand where?

Carfanman
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

and you expect him to find a hybrid for 5-7 grand where?

but I'd bet that the price difference between hybrid and non-hybrid will pay for itself (and then some) over the next year, in what you save at the pump.

so, yeah.
And if he looks around, maybe he can find a used one for VERY cheap.
And I dont know if it can be done, but maybe, mod a regular car into a hybrid?

Anyway, if he absolutely cant do it, then he cant do it. But its a suggestion.

trikypenguin
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
240sx allllll the way rwd pwns

philipoo
09-08-2005, 07:12 PM
The only reason my price range is so shitty is because my dad told me to get a cheap first car till i get enough experience to get a type r. T_T"

I wouldn't really want to get a hybrid considering the technology for those cars really suck ass. Maintainence would be a bitch also. I was mainly thinking of getting a 94+ integra in whatever style or trim because it was mainly my realistic dream car... But that doesn't seem too realistic if i wanted to pay 5k or less. I was planning on going with the 93 and below models but not too sure yet. Do the 93 and below integras have a/c? =( lol thanks for all the help everyone.

stevieo
09-08-2005, 07:24 PM
The only reason my price range is so shitty is because my dad told me to get a cheap first car till i get enough experience to get a type r. T_T"

I wouldn't really want to get a hybrid considering the technology for those cars really suck ass. Maintainence would be a bitch also. I was mainly thinking of getting a 94+ integra in whatever style or trim because it was mainly my realistic dream car... But that doesn't seem too realistic if i wanted to pay 5k or less. I was planning on going with the 93 and below models but not too sure yet. Do the 93 and below integras have a/c? =( lol thanks for all the help everyone.

I know GS and GS-R for the G2 come with a/c
RS is base model and doesn't come with much
LS is next model which I believe come with optional power things

but yes G2s do come with A/C

Godfuader
09-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by working_on_iy
The celeca is a fun car, and Toyota is always reliable!

:werd: Yes, my biased opinion would also call it the best looking of the bunch. But if its mods ur looking at then stick with the mod whore integra...cheap and easy. Celica is best left as close to stock as possible. Its pre-pimped. If u can get a decent GSR, then its no competition.

IncredibleToad
09-08-2005, 07:47 PM

so, yeah.

Hahaaha

the words 'very cheap' dont go together with hybrid cars
those hybrids have been on the market in North America for very little time, finding a hybrid between $5k-7500?? yah right i'd like to see him or anyone find one....and mod a regular car into a hybrid? LOL i dont evne wanna imagine how much cash that would require :rolleyes: the guy is trying to find a reliable first car that can afford to take some beating here and there so he can get used to it before movin on up not any old car to 'mod into a hybrid' lol

habsfan
09-08-2005, 07:49 PM

so, yeah.

now that i re-read your post i see what you're saying, but it would take a helluva lot more than a year to make up the difference :)

tsi_neal
09-08-2005, 07:58 PM
now i might be wrong here but if ac is important to you then do ITR's come with it? with as 'hardcore' as the rest of the car is it wouldnt make sense to have AC... but with that said im not a honda guy and i really only know what ITR's are capable of on the track and not much more.

sxtasy
09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
its your first car so get a tercel, save up more money for a year, then after you have some driving experience upgrade to a nicer car like a gsr.

philipoo
09-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

:werd: Yes, my biased opinion would also call it the best looking of the bunch. But if its mods ur looking at then stick with the mod whore integra...cheap and easy. Celica is best left as close to stock as possible. Its pre-pimped. If u can get a decent GSR, then its no competition.

I was planning to just get a car for a daily driver, no mods. just stock till i can afford a type r. Is the interior of the celica very roomy and nice? =x

Eken9
09-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Nissan 200sx?
I'd get a car you can't modify.

Godfuader
09-08-2005, 11:05 PM

I was planning to just get a car for a daily driver, no mods. just stock till i can afford a type r. Is the interior of the celica very roomy and nice? =x

Very nice interior on the GT-S. Racing contoured driver and passenger seats. Power lumbar on the drivers. Buckets in the rear. Fold the seat down and u got enough room for a bike and 2 TV sets. Factory 10 speaker system with 2 subs built into the door, amp under passenger seat. The exterior is the most curvy of the list and an ass like J. Lo.

Rockski
09-08-2005, 11:16 PM
get the tercel, be easy on your dads wallet, cheap ass tercell, reliable, ugly as shit, chicks car, but your dad will be fine with the fact that he didnt have to shell out a bunch of cash for you to be driving around in a car that is trying to make you look like a pimp.... usualy bad things happen to peoples first cars anyways... so get a cheap ass one, start saving for something better along the way

hollywood_35
09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Get a Ford LTD station wagon, it can double as a moterhome, can always cram at least 15 kids in it for parties, and they look tyte with the wood panelling. Roll one of those on 21" Daytons and you'd be :bigpimp: of the nation.

philipoo
09-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
now i might be wrong here but if ac is important to you then do ITR's come with it? with as 'hardcore' as the rest of the car is it wouldnt make sense to have AC... but with that said im not a honda guy and i really only know what ITR's are capable of on the track and not much more.

I'm pretty sure ITR's do come with a/c. The only reason I wanted to get A/C is because my gf would be riding along with me most of the time and shes really naggy about the cool air.. lol.

get the tercel, be easy on your dads wallet, cheap ass tercell, reliable, ugly as shit, chicks car, but your dad will be fine with the fact that he didnt have to shell out a bunch of cash for you to be driving around in a car that is trying to make you look like a pimp.... usualy bad things happen to peoples first cars anyways... so get a cheap ass one, start saving for something better along the way

I was thinking of getting a tercel but it doesn't really suit me =X I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a Nissan Pulsar? Are they any good?

Rockski
09-10-2005, 01:20 AM

I was thinking of getting a tercel but it doesn't really suit me =X I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a Nissan Pulsar? Are they any good?

a tercell doesnt suit anybody, but neither does a K car, and you see tones of kids with those, cause theyre cheap and (SEMI) reliable, you drive it till it dies and by then youll have some cash for a nicer car

Fez_turbo
09-10-2005, 01:23 AM
i would take the celica only if it was 2000 or newer...(better design...loooks better) but if it is around the 1990-1994ish...
i think the roundish celica's (around 97.. look really nice.. they kinda remind me of the supra....)

but if it is an older celica.....i would take the integra....

arian_ma
09-12-2005, 12:09 AM
teg or tercel will be the easiest and least troubling. Cheap on gas too.

Isn't the pulsar an import only car?
I thought it was :confused:

Rockski
09-12-2005, 12:15 AM
ok let me put it this way, ITS YOUR FIRST CAR, howmany people did not have a misshap on thier first car... sure there may be a couple, but chances are its not you... shit my first car got stolen AND IT WAS A K CAR... most people who get a powerful first car dont have it the next year. they end up getting carried away with the fact of how fun driving is and they hurt the car and sometimes themselves... stick with the tercel option