PDA

View Full Version : my DEAD 240...

BloNdie
09-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey,

I drive 1995 240sx, and I think the starter has gone although I'm not positive. For a few days it chugged and eventually started, and now it is completly dead when i try to start it. (I've replaced the battery, no luck). I have been able to push start it, but its getting harder everytime.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help, or where I should take it. I caved and made a dealership appointment, but its not for almost a week.
Any advice would be appriciated. :)

Also, I NEED car to get around, does anyone know of any places that will rent out a car for a few days to a 20 year old? :dunno:

THANKS!

QuasarCav
09-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Stay away from the dealer.

Go see a local mech and ask for a charging test and they will pinpoint what the problem is. I'm sure half the people (well half the people with any knowledge) could swap out a starter in less than an hour.

heavyD
09-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Does the engine turn over when you turn the key? If it does it isn't your starter. It's probably the electrical charge system (battery or alternator) or possibly ignition related.

When you turn the key does nothing happen? Most likely starter failing or starter electrical system.

When you do get the car started does the car make a metal scratching/grinding noise upon firing up? Definately dying starter.

duffspec
09-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Before doing anything if you think it's the starter get someone to try to start the motor and at the same time give the starter a few hits with a tire iron. It will be located on the passanger side mounted on the motor and look like a small canister, I replaced on on my 240 and all it was is two bolts. In most cases this will start( if it's the starter) and you can probably replace it yourself. LMK how it goes, you can save butt loads of cash if your not affraid of getting alittle dirty.

BloNdie
09-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to a private owned place, I really don't want to go to the dealership so they can take my for all I have. I'm going to get under there tonite and take a look and see what I can find.

From the sounds of it its definatly the starter. It doesnt turn over with just turning the key anymore, although it did for a while (I'm guessing when it was dying.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what happens.

snowboard
09-08-2005, 10:56 AM
i dont think the starter would be in a dead spot if it slowly started to give wayyyyyyy... so ya you probly need to smash that starter on the ground and replace it :D

Lo)2enz0
09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
just wondering, but when you turn the key does the engine studder, try to start but doesn't turn over, or does nothng happen at all.

a little off topic, but are you the girl with the greyish 95 with the jdm foglights?

BloNdie
09-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Got some great help! :) thanks everyone!

and yes...that sounds like me, did i rip by ya? :angel:

Lo)2enz0
09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
no i was in a parking lot in the sil80 and you rolled your window down and yelled "thats hot", and i see you going down stoney all the time when i am waiting to turn going out of tuscany.