PDA

View Full Version : Numbers to retire for the Flames

gggunit
09-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Since Al Mcinnis has retired I was just thinking what numbers would the flames retire

I personally think Fleury's 14 should be retired, Hakan Loob and Vernons

mac_82
09-08-2005, 02:11 PM
#2 should be retired for MacInnis, he played a huge part for the flames in the 80's and early 90's until the team was dismantled. Fleury is still playing pro hockey in Europe, so they wouldn't retire his number until he was officially done pro hockey I'm sure. I am still undecided on Vernon or Loob, not sure if those would happen or not. I am sure Loob's would have been done by now if they were going to do it.

Impreza
09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Fleury is playing in Europe? I have seen him all summer around Calgary. I actually saw him driving his Escalade today...

GSR Zero
09-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Hakan Loob ... didn't he wear #12? I could be wrong, its been a lot of years. Hmmmm then what will Iggy wear?

mac_82
09-08-2005, 02:56 PM
The Belfast Giants have finally received work permit clearance to sign Canadian Olympic gold medal winner Theoren Fleury.

According to Giants coach Ed Courtenay, the former New York Rangers forward is "the biggest ever signing for the Belfast Giants and the Elite League".

And Loob was #12. If they did retire is jersey, which they probably wont, then Iggy would have to wear #24, the number he wore 95-97.

l8braker
09-08-2005, 03:19 PM
what about lanny?

fleury is a freaking cokehead:guns:

sexualbanana
09-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Vernon's 30 should be retired

snowboard
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Mcarthy.

GSR Zero
09-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
what about lanny?

fleury is a freaking cokehead:guns:

Thought Lanny's was already retired ... #9

gggunit
09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
Mcarthy.

Thats like saying Button was Calgary's Best GM

silverTEG
09-08-2005, 04:58 PM
6 housley or 2 macinnis or ville neimenenenenenen j/k

PGTze
09-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
what about lanny?

It's already retired

itstrue
09-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by gggunit
Since Al Mcinnis has retired I was just thinking what numbers would the flames retire

I personally think Fleury's 14 should be retired, Hakan Loob and Vernons

You cant retire 14, Fleury might still make it back!

stevieo
09-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by itstrue

You cant retire 14, Fleury might still make it back!

umm no.

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Macinnis and that's it, def not Fleury, if they do then it's just for the sake of retiring numbers to look cool. Maybe Vernon.

I'm not saying Fleury wasn't a good player, because he was, but I think you have to be a huge impact player over a number of years to deserve to have your number retired.

ricosuave
09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
exactly

which is why 2 and 30 are the only ones, aside from 12 in about 10 years that will be retired

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
I think it's too early to say his number will be retired, if he leaves the city within the next 5 years and doesn't win a cup, then I wouldn't retire it.

Only retire his number if he brings us to at least one cup or spends his whole career in Calgary and is one of the best in the league every year.

civic_stylez
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
whatever # rocky thompson wore...:D

stevieo
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Macinnis and that's it, def not Fleury, if they do then it's just for the sake of retiring numbers to look cool. Maybe Vernon.

I'm not saying Fleury wasn't a good player, because he was, but I think you have to be a huge impact player over a number of years to deserve to have your number retired.

you do know that Fleury is Calgary's leader in all time points and goals scored right? and second to only MacInnis in games played in Flames history..

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes i do, which is valid, but when he left the team he wasn't a great player for anyone else, not to mention all his personal problems, which, if I was a team owner would be reason enough for me not to retire his number. Fleury was a good player with the flames but a total douche.

What I like about Macinnis is that he continued to be a marque player his entire career, same would go for Vernon, not a huge vernon fan but I'd rather see his number retired than fleury's.

mac_82
09-09-2005, 12:06 PM
If the Flames retired Fleurys number I would think it would be based on his performance with the Flames and no one else. They aren't going to retire his number because he played "well" for the Rangers or Colorado. Gimme a break. Check this out:

1989-1998

Games - 791 (2nd alltime)
Goals - 364 (1st)
Assists - 460 (2nd)
Points - 830 (1st)

Three goal games - 13 (tied 1st)
Two goal games - 47 (tied 1st)

Jarome Iginla still has a ways to go to try to catch Fleury.

1995 - present

Games- 626 (5th)
Goals - 250 (4th)
Assists - 253 (11th)
Points - 503 (8th)

Four goal games - 1 (tied 2nd)
Three goal games - 4 (tied 6th)
Two goal games - 38 (3rd)

Fleury more than deserves to have his number retired by the Flames. He is basically our best player ever, up there with MacInnis, and Iggy may one day surpase both of them, but not until he has a several more high scoring seasons.

stevieo
09-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
If the Flames retired Fleurys number I would think it would be based on his performance with the Flames and no one else. They aren't going to retire his number because he played "well" for the Rangers or Colorado. Gimme a break. Check this out:

thats exactly what I was trying to say.
You don't retire a guys number based on what he did for another team, you do it for what he did for your team.

okay, we signed grant fuhr for like a few games, he was one of the leagues good goalies back in the day, should we retire his number based on what he did for the oil?;)

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't know why you're bringing up Iggy, I don't think he's even close to deserving a retired Jersey yet.

I think people's jerseys get retired far too easy. People like Patrick Roy, Mario Lemieux, Steve Yzerman deserve team retired jerseys, IMO, not Theo Fleury.

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

okay, we signed grant fuhr for like a few games, he was one of the leagues good goalies back in the day, should we retire his number based on what he did for the oil?;)

No, but my point is he played for a long time outside of Calgary and wasn't very good, he didn't have a career worth mentioning IMO.

My rational is only hall of fame players or players who've had their careers cut short by injury or death should get retired team jerseys.

Are Macinnis and Vernon Hall of fame players, possibly, is Fleury? No.

stevieo
09-09-2005, 12:27 PM

No, but my point is he played for a long time outside of Calgary and wasn't very good, he didn't have a career worth mentioning IMO.

how did he play along time out of calgary?

in his 15 year nhl career he spent 10 of it in calgary.
drafted in the 8th round in 87, coming in at 5 foot 6, he over came many obstacales to be come a high scoring player.
is over a point per game player - the only reason i can see people hatin ghim is because he had substance abuse.

ricosuave
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
you would look for nose candy too if graham james was makin you his bitch

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Which is pretty much why I don't like him, I used to be a Fleury fan...

My point remains though, only hall of fame players deserve retired jerseys, do you think Fleury was a hall of fame player?

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
whatever # rocky thompson wore...:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I played shinney with him a couple of times before he left Whitecourt to play for Calgary... quite the character. I remember one game where he went after one of the older guys, I think it was Yzerman. Anyway, the veteran saw him coming and just flattened him, it was hilarious.

Ahh, the days of Rocky. :D

gggunit
09-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Which is pretty much why I don't like him, I used to be a Fleury fan...

My point remains though, only hall of fame players deserve retired jerseys, do you think Fleury was a hall of fame player?

I honestly think they should retire his number.. the teams leading scorer.. you gotta be kidding me.

Hakkola
09-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Calgary flames isn't that old of an organization, so leading scorer for the team isn't that impressive, leading scorer for Montreal or Toronto or detroit or Boston, teams that have been around a long time, that's impressive.

Like I said, no hall of fame, no retired jersey. You guys act like he's wayne gretzky or something, 10 years down the road nobody is going to care if someone is wearing his jersey.