PDA

View Full Version : Quick!! Speakers for my car?

dogmelissa
09-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Just found out that the Soundsaround sale (today and tomorrow) has JL Audio VR650-CSi on sale. They'll probably have lots of others there, but this one looks like it might actually fit in my car. Except it says it fits in newer GM vehicles & "most" european cars... and I have a Honda.

So opinions on the speakers and suggestions as to whether or not this will fit in the door panels of a 1990 Honda Civic Si Hatch?? I don't want to cut another hole for the seperate tweeter, so if there's a way to put it in behind the grille with the main portion of the speaker, that'd be best.

Replies ASAP, please!
Melissa

b_t
09-09-2005, 10:42 AM
IF you were to buy components as good as the VRs and then stick the tweeter in the shitty door spot you would have almost completely defeated the purpose of spending that much on speakers in the first place. I put my components in myself. It takes about three hours per door, or you can pay Soundaround $80 to do it.

dogmelissa
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm not planning on including these speakers in the car if/when I sell it, and so I'm NOT going to cut holes in the door panel to put tweeters in. I disagree that it defeats the point of buying good speakers, as I had this set-up with my speakers last year. Now I need new speakers and I wanted to know if these are good ones and if they'd fit in my car without having to cut metal & such inside the door. If you don't know, you don't know.

Thanks,
Melissa

SWX
09-09-2005, 11:20 AM
they should fit if they are a 6.5" speaker, as for the tweeter ask them if you can bridge mount the tweeter, it may even say on the box. With JL i can't remember if you can or not. The other thing to look at is if they have a VR co-axial speaker that way the tweeter is mounted where you want it already.

Just checked and the VR650CXi 's would be that much easier to put in. The other thing you can do if your not sure if it will fit, be mounting depth or diameter is check Alpines site for the specs of the ones you had , then check the JL site to compare specs.

dogmelissa
09-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok... all makes sense, but you (and lots of other ppl) have said I shouldn't waste money on Coaxial, but get Component, and this is a component speaker--and as far as I can tell it doesn't have a paper cone: "Woofers: Injection-molded, mica-filled, polypropylene cone body, 1.0 in. / 25 mm voice coil, flat-profile/ symmetrical-roll spider, butyl rubber surround.
Tweeters: 0.75 in. / 19 mm silk soft dome tweeter, neodymium magnet, ferrofluid cooled and damped. Variable mounting system with swivel/rotation capability. "

I'm not sure what the concern is with speakers in my car, but I've been told by two different installers that the Alpine speakers I had in there "barely fit". So I don't know what numbers to check.

Do you know what "regular" retail price on these would be in Calgary? Is Soundsarounds price ($188) a good deal (they claim it's a savings on $251)?

Thanks!
Melissa

SWX
09-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I never said not to get co-axials, just if you are get good ones the speakers i recamended to you before were all co-axials. The big thing that will determend if the speaker will fit is mounting depth and diameter.

b_t
09-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Soundsaround's price is a good deal for a local item with a warranty. If you go on eBay however you can get unwarrantied XR components (JLs former top end model, now second best) for about $40 more. Regular retail is around $250. Soundsaround compares the Big 4 price to the manufacturer's MSRP to inflate their savings claims.

And if you think having your tweeter tucked away in your door sounds good, you have not heard what a properly set up component system should sound like. You could probably move your tweeter to a different location, for instance the A-pillar, and they would sound ten times better. Don't argue with me about this.

Depending on what Alpine speakers you have, these should fit. The Type Rs have a gigantic magnet on them and are hard to fit into a lot of door installs. If those fit, the VRs will fit no problem. If they were Type S, the VRs are I believe slightly larger but should still fit without many problems. If they do not fit, make a baffle for them, or leave the door spots completely empty and spend $125 on a set of kick panel speaker pods to make another massive leap in sound quality.

Weapon_R
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
That's a good price, go for it. You should also check out the Alpine type R component set for $122, a smoking deal.

dogmelissa
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
My bf is there; he says they don't have any other Alpine Component speakers in 6 1/2". Not sure what the ones for $122 are. They have the Alpine SPS-170A, but I already have a set of these in the back, so it seems kinda silly to buy the exact same thing for the front. Got him to pick up the 171A's, for $175. It's not a *great* deal (they were $122 last year), but it's better than the $240 I'd have to pay for them anywhere else right now.

I seriously thought about the JL Audio ones, but I'm just not sure they'll fit, so I don't want to take a chance. They're $188.

Hopefully this is the end of a bad era of speaker problems for me. I know I'll like what it sounds like as soon as I get the speakers back in there, and I can't WAIT!!

Thanks!
Melissa