PDA

View Full Version : buying a Colbolt

KennyO
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
hi i need some help i'm buying a SS colbolt sedan automatic and i need to know if i can put a supercharger on it if so where would i find one.......thx for your help :nut:

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2005, 02:36 PM
I thought the Cobolt SS's are already supercharged.

pitwipe
09-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Doesn't the SS come with a supercharger already? :dunno:

benyl
09-09-2005, 02:53 PM
not the sedan... so dumb, it doesn't deserve an SS badge.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by benyl
not the sedan... so dumb, it doesn't deserve an SS badge.

The sedan isn't supercharged?!?! :nut: Thanks, marketing.

QuasarCav
09-09-2005, 02:58 PM
If it isn't already supercharged than you can buy one direct from GM.

www.gm.com, search for performance parts.

EK 2.0
09-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Coltbolt or Colbolt or Cobalt??

Mr_ET
09-09-2005, 03:00 PM
IT'S COBALT :p

KennyO
09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
yes its cobolt lol ty ...and thx for the info peeps;)

01RedDX
09-09-2005, 04:21 PM

AcuraTl
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
a buddy of mine already looked into getting a Cobalt SS...however he was told they were all sold out, no more for a few months?

crazytou
09-09-2005, 04:34 PM
They got 2 at the gm dealer on 36 street NE

dinglenuts
09-20-2005, 05:13 PM
guys, guys, those thing are pieces of sh#t. So you get a little power for a cheap price, ITS STILL A CHEAPLY MADE UNRELIABLE GM. My cousin bought one and has had it recalled twice, not to mention the clutch went after like 10,000km and the technician said it was " installed backwards" The spoiler is gay, the rims suck, the interior is still cheap gm. Why? why would you get sucked in by some short term fun and end up replacing it with something better anyway? sorry to rant, but I'm tired of seeing losers rip by in their cheap fast cars thinking they're so cool. Everybody still sees its a caviqueer, and the same goes for the neon. How about making your own fun toy, maybe being original? Not selling out for immediate power in a crappy package. I'm sure someone will rag me out.

Ramdawg
09-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Ur saying dodge sx 2.0 is no good? :eek:

240droptop
09-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Ramdawg

yup but if you put the fake srt4 packagge on I'E Spoiler Fake hood scoop then there pimp :thumbsup:

A2VR6
09-20-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by crazytou
They got 2 at the gm dealer on 36 street NE

I believe that those are non supercharged ones. The only one i've seen on the lot so far is a yellow one at Shaganappi and I bet that ones already sold.

90Tegra
09-21-2005, 04:15 PM
i would stay away from cobalts for a year just to see the ratings and their problems. but u can get a supercharger from the dealer.

dinglenuts
09-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm just of the opinion that every time gm released a new model in like the last 15 years that they always turned out to be pieces of junk. You get what you pay for. When was the last time you saw a 10 year old cavalier, sunfire,sunbird,corsica,lumina,etc etc in good shape driving around? A lot less than honda,toyota,nissan, hell even ford tempos and topaz are still going strong. I just don't see the hype for the cobalt other that the power, not to mention the style is supergay.

Nissanaddict
09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I agree with most of that, but there is NO WAY a Tempo/Topaz can touch the reliability of a V6 Cavalier, SUnbird, corsica, lumina etc. etc. (even my 4 banger Corsicas a reliable solid car...albeit boring) If you can afford the alternators (or just be smart and buy one ICEBERG and never have to replace it again) you won't have a problem. Although I agree with you on the Cobalt for the most part....I like the exterior design...but as any GM, a bit of care for fit and finish would go a long way...plus the interior is still in fact cheap (never sat in an SS, but I did sit in one of the fully optioned with leather etc. sedans, and wow, my 13 year old 240sx beats it out in quality)

dinglenuts
09-22-2005, 04:13 PM
thats basically what i'm getting at. I'm just tired of the new model promises, and then a few years later they always start to show their true colors and fall apart. I guess I've just seen to many cheap domestic crap boxes. Our mechanic, and 25 yr friend was saying that gm offers cheap cars initially, but over the last few years the replacement part prices have been skyrocketing. Makes me think they sell you a crappy car for cheap and make more cash off of your problems, and with a bunch of young people buying fast, cheaply built cars, and obviously driving them hard, how long do you really think they'll last? These srt's and cobalts will be for sale dirt cheap in a couple years.

@lchy
10-06-2005, 07:53 PM
No retention of value, no quality, nothing more than a headache/waste of money down the road. If you want a chevy, buy a truck. If you happen to have lots of money, great buy what you want, but either you drive this thing for the rest of its life (200,000 k) or you sell it for less than even a new gm is worth ( not a whole lot to me) and you have spent your money rather than invested it in somethin people will actually want to buy down the road.

Mr_ET
10-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Ramdawg

what was that oh you mean a Neon??

eblend
10-06-2005, 08:01 PM
don't listen to all these domestic bashers they have a unique mindset that won't sway no matter what you tell them. In their world no imports ever have problems and all they want to do is for everyone to drive a fuckign civic. So buy what you like man and be unique and original don't let these people badmouth everything that is not made in japan, hell no import is made in japan they are all made right along side gm and whatnots. I am the one to stand for driving whatever you like, and most of these guys always think that an import is the way to go because when they have problems they always talk about it normally, as soon as a gm car shows a problem, its a pos.

Buy what you want, the cobalt is a great little car and can look hella pimp.

heavyD
10-06-2005, 08:10 PM
So much mis-information.:rolleyes: For the last few years GM has scored higher than all Japanes car makers with the exception of Honda & Toyota for reliability according to JD Power. We have had plenty of GM vehicles (company only provides domestics) from Gran Prix's to Chevy 4X4 trucks and very little problems with any of them considering how they are baggged by salesmen & service techs. Sure the interiors may not have that Japanese quality feel to them but mechanically they have been problem free. Resale is lower but what's a better deal for the average driver; a 1998 Sunfire with low mileage for $6000 or a 1989 Nissan 240 with 250000 kms for $6000. If you say the 240, you are an idiot and there is no use going any further with this.:banghead:

takeshi
10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
i'd hit the 240 for 6 grand anyday,
one its going to be in hella good condition
2 have you ever driven a sunfire?? omg the nightmares

crazytou
10-15-2005, 12:12 AM
i dont know if this helps but im really good friends with someone that has a cobalt. anyways they love the car and bought extra warrentee with it which makes 7 years total.

Supa Dexta
10-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Its not only the domestics, you have to be careful of anything, but especially the domestics.. I mean look at some late 90's sunfires, they're starting to rust to shit already, and unless they made a trip to the ocean and accidentally fell in few a few days, I don't see why they are this way.. But volk's lately have been comming up with more and more horror stories (where back in NS, I know of a bunch of older taxi jettas with 800k+) And then theres mazda, tons of bashing the proteges for trasmission issues. Nissans have the qr motor problems just getting worked out after several years of motors eating themselves.. And on and on.. Nothings a sure bet, I'd just be tempted to say domestics are a worse bet, from my experiences first hand with them.. And I'm a farm boy, I'm all for a solid domestic truck, instead of these "pretty" new trucks the imports are entering the market with. For a full sized, hard running, hard working truck, domestics for sure.. For a smaller truck, having the bed, 4x4, and a little sport - import trucks like old toyotas never let me or my buddies down, when s10's and shit were parked out behind buildings, forgotten about.. meh...

:dunno: :)

rice_eater
10-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Its not only the domestics, you have to be careful of anything, but especially the domestics.. I mean look at some late 90's sunfires, they're starting to rust to shit already, and unless they made a trip to the ocean and accidentally fell in few a few days, I don't see why they are this way..

93-94 sunbirds were some of the most reliable sunfires EVER. yeah they do rust, but i sold my old winter beater with close to 300000km on it and the engine didnt miss a beat!

any car will break down under abuse and neglect...if anything, imports maybe have a higher tollerance before snapping but still

Supa Dexta
10-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah I know the early 90's (sunbirds) are still on the go, You see them all over (wether you want to or not) but I'm talking like 96+ sunfires ... they shouldn't be falling apart with their ugly cousins still on the go, but what do I care, I'll never own one...

bspot
10-16-2005, 03:36 PM
A Cobalt SS/SC owner chiming in here:

1. The SS is available in coupe or sedan, manual or automatic. Its 170hp VVT engine and doesn't have the same transmission or suspension as the SS/SC available. The SS/SC has a better suspension/transmission (Saab 9-3 transmission).

2. I got either the first or second SS/SC in the city, and here are my problems with it so far:

-Sunroof switch trim was broken when I took delivery, fell down about 10 minutes after driving away

-Paint sucks ass. You have to be so careful to avoid swirls

-Leather sucks ass. The bottom bolsters are wrinkling already. I'm going to warranty replace the seats for sure

-The rear deck now rattles a bit with some songs. (It comes with a 10" sub).

-The spoiler moves around a bit at speed especially if its windy, and you can't see shit behind you

-The pereli P zero's wear out FAST (expected though)

Thats all the little nit-picks I have for it. There have been no recalls so far. Mechanically its been great, the suspension impresses me to no end and I love throwing it into corners. I've owned one GM previously, and SO FAR this car is holding together much better.

Yup its cheap, and the reasons above are why its cheap. But for the 24,500 I spent, I didn't really see any other cars that excited me at all.

bspot
10-16-2005, 03:39 PM
I forgot to add that as far as GM's go, I actually don't mind the interior.

For those that haven't seen it, here it is. I got black though, not red.

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/76768_speed.cobaltint.jpg

colinxx235
03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I can write with the experience of driving 2 cobalts so far (the incident of an unfortunate black ice crash)

My first was a 2005 cobalt 2 door LS (everything but leather)
This car was an absolute piece of shit, the sunfoor at 80 kilometers/hour let off more noise then my brothers A4 1.8T did at 220km/h. The tire tread was almost obselete by 25-30 K, In the winter I had my accelerator converter, and ECM chip both crack (needed to be tower to GM) the clutch was shady around 35k, transmission was sticky (5 speed), and just in general wasn't built well, very little positive besides being able to get 550-600km out of tank...

I currenty drive the 2007 SS (non-SC model) 2 door coupe 5-speed. I'll admit that relative to the regular model this car is a vast improvement, it does rather well in races against most cars in same bracket, and puts up a good fight against the SC especially cause alot of people don't know how to drive their cars well. The upgrade in suspension/clutch/shifter/exhaust is not bad, but the brakes are pathetic, i've had them re-machined twice and i'm just about to hit 21k. A fellow classmate has the exact same model and he's run through 3 re-machines (which chevy doesn't cover after the first one) and is currently looking for custom brake kits to replace the POS ones, and he's around 26K. And as well the treads wear down even faster on these tires (pirelli vs michelin on the old.. fuck the what eh?) i'm not a person to burnout in my car (cause its a pos chevy) but i do like to cruise 180 on deerfoot alot, and that stuff just disappears off the tires. The interior is almost same as the old, cheap plastic clipped together GM parts, such a crappy make.

But as for the original question about finding a super charger for the SS model, please don't supercharge it, its still only a 2.4L inline... research any forums/online sites GET A TURBO, and also 4 door?? are you kidding me... you buy that for convenience not ricing it out. And as for the GM supercharger, its also not very good, try to talk through your warranty department where you bought the chevy and get a list of "acceptable tuners" who can work on your car, several people on cobalt forums have already bought turbos/fmic and few smalls needed parts and started at 240-250 FWHP oppose to the 210ish from SC, and the price difference for the upgrade is less then SC model costs, as for the gm upgrades on the SC, same thing.. ya it'll add some HP but you over pay because they build/install and keep your warranty, make sure your going to do some research before you do anything to your car.

IMO after crashing the first one, and seeings how much it depreciated, (lease bought price was 21,400 canadian, car was crashed after 19 months, assessed value was less then the 10,800 damage quote) which meant they tore my car up and I had to re-lease a new one. These cars are a large waste of money, and I feel sorry for anyone who bought one of the lot, leasing is the only way to go, and if you want a faster car, buy something nicer with the money difference? honestly, the cars are only fun for a little while

3g4u
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Way to bring up a 3 year old topic. Im sure buddy has allready bought and crashed that POS by now.:thumbsup:

colinxx235
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
haha ya, i know its an old thread, thought i would throw in my 2 cents on cobalts and how you SHOULDNT BUY THEM, fucking total waste of money, nothing makes me laugh harder when i see someone with cf hoods/custom expensive rims and other mods, mods don't keep there value well in general, but on a cobalt you might as well burn your money, and ya hopefully he crashed his and got a different one, cause when i crashed mine.. my dad just bought me a 07 SS because they said they would have it ready in under 24 hours (and he thinks the cars are perfectly all right) oh so wrong...

bspot
03-06-2008, 01:22 AM
^Most GM rotors are shit. You don't need anything fancy, just buy some replacements from NAPA and they won't warp up as bad on you.

phrozen
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Some SS dont not come with a Supercharger just the
body styling,

And its Cobalt!! =)

Also if it has warranty the only place you
can get a supercharger added is GM themselves,
or its voided warranty.

modded46
03-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Slow, Cheap, Poop :dunno:

Mr_ET
03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by phrozen
Some SS dont not come with a Supercharger just the
body styling,

And its Cobalt!! =)

Also if it has warranty the only place you
can get a supercharger added is GM themselves,
or its voided warranty.

looks like you missed what everyone wrote and didn't see that 3 year old bump, let me guess you read the first post and hit reply right?

:thumbsup:

03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
3 years ago, in a car forum far far away, there was an idiot... 3 years later, another idiot bumps the thread. now the idiots will rule the world.

403Gemini
03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
just to clear some things up

LS/LT - 2.2 L - 140 hp
SS - 2.4 L - 171 hp
SS/SC - 2.0 L - 205 hp
SS/TC - 2.0 L - 260 hp (coming out later this year)

Ive had my SS/SC since june 06 and my buddy has had the SS since march 06. Neither one of us have had any real significant problems.

Mechanically the thing runs sound and I've had 0 problems.

My gripes: the silver painted trim is slowly starting to peel away.

The leather on the drivers seat with the lumbar support rubs against he plastic and has a very annoying rubbing noise.

Compared to a honda, the shifter is fairly sluggish.

If you get the SS/SC... get the g85 package (with the lsd), my car didn't come with it and with 200+ tq to ONE front wheel, you'll pull to the right a great deal... especially in the snow, even with winter tires.

Overall, it's a fun car and you'll spank most other sport compacts out there for just being stock.

403Gemini
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 410440
3 years ago, in a car forum far far away, there was an idiot... 3 years later, another idiot bumps the thread. now the idiots will rule the world.

Whats the point of people crying about the Search button if people use it and get burned for bumping old threads? :dunno:

Bimmer88
03-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Eww but really a cobalt.... -_-

I rather get the SRT-8!

but if anyone wants to sell their cobalt my gf is looking for one -_-
like around 7 - 8K....

modded46
03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
just to clear some things up

LS/LT - 2.2 L - 140 hp
SS - 2.4 L - 171 hp
SS/SC - 2.0 L - 205 hp
SS/TC - 2.0 L - 260 hp (coming out later this year)

Ive had my SS/SC since june 06 and my buddy has had the SS since march 06. Neither one of us have had any real significant problems.

Mechanically the thing runs sound and I've had 0 problems.

My gripes: the silver painted trim is slowly starting to peel away.

The leather on the drivers seat with the lumbar support rubs against he plastic and has a very annoying rubbing noise.

Compared to a honda, the shifter is fairly sluggish.

If you get the SS/SC... get the g85 package (with the lsd), my car didn't come with it and with 200+ tq to ONE front wheel, you'll pull to the right a great deal... especially in the snow, even with winter tires.

Overall, it's a fun car and you'll spank most other sport compacts out there for just being stock.

LS/LT - 2.2 L - 140 hp - REALLY slow
SS - 2.4 L - 171 hp - More expensive SLOW
SS/SC - 2.0 L - 205 hp - Wanna be Fast Car SuperCharged
SS/TC - 2.0 L - 260 hp - Potential, but will believe it when I see it.

bspot
03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by modded46

LS/LT - 2.2 L - 140 hp - REALLY slow
SS - 2.4 L - 171 hp - More expensive SLOW
SS/SC - 2.0 L - 205 hp - Wanna be Fast Car SuperCharged
SS/TC - 2.0 L - 260 hp - Potential, but will believe it when I see it.

Wanna be fast car?

Name one car that is faster for the same price. There isn't one.

403Gemeni, the chipping silver has apparently been fixed on new parts, get that warrantied! I know what you mean about the rubbing noise of the driver seat.. drove me nuts.

Mr_ET
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Eww but really a cobalt.... -_-

I rather get the SRT-8!

but if anyone wants to sell their cobalt my gf is looking for one -_-
like around 7 - 8K....

you're just full of great replies aren't you?

I'd be careful with the cobalts though man because I heard that they have fuses under the hood and you might need to look at those;)

Mr_ET
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by bspot

Wanna be fast car?

403Gemeni, the chipping silver has apparently been fixed on new parts, get that warrantied! I know what you mean about the rubbing noise of the driver seat.. drove me nuts.

wasn;t the srt4 faster for the same price?:dunno:

modded46
03-06-2008, 11:15 AM
SRT-4 Caliber - 300HP - Under 30k CDN
Mini Cooper S - 172HP
Subaru Impreza WRX - 220HP just over 30 grand.

I'm sure there are more but that's all that comes to mind right now.

modded46
03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

wasn;t the srt4 faster for the same price?:dunno:

Yes 230HP stock for under 25

Mr_ET
03-06-2008, 11:20 AM
SRT-4 Caliber - 300HP - Under 30k CDN
Mini Cooper S - 172HP
Subaru Impreza WRX - 220HP just over 30 grand.

I'm sure there are more but that's all that comes to mind right now.

Aside from the srt4 the others are not a fair comparison as the price is quite a bit higher for a wrx and a cooper s than a cobalt sc.

Also keep in mind we are talking about a car 3 years ago not what is offered right now.

modded46
03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
how much is a Cobalt SS/SC?? Because the regular SS is already 25K CDN from what I can tell.. Gotta be a few grand more for the SC WRX is 32,000CDN

Mr_ET
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
how much is a Cobalt SS/SC?? Because the regular SS is already 25K CDN from what I can tell.. Gotta be a few grand more for the SC WRX is 32,000CDN

the new wrx is 32k the 2005 model was 34995.

The cobalt sc probably goes for max 26-27k and since a cooper s is a 35to 40k car and the wrx is close to that they can't be compared.

Something that is important to consider aside from straight line performance is overall quality, reliability, resale and fun factor.

I think GM is always 1 dimensional and comes out with "tuner" compacts that can only excel in straight line speed and cut corners on just about everything else to keep the costs down and say "hey we have this fast car and no one else offers the same kind of performance for that price"

403Gemini
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Wanna be fast car?

I should get my wheels touched up too, the paint started to flake on them ... grrrr lol

The rubbing noise, found out you can just put a small piece of black cloth between the seat and the plastic and the noise is gone.

403Gemini
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Yes 230HP stock for under 25

Hmmm odd, MSRP was $27,545 starting, cobalts in 05 was $24,995. Also the srt-4 didn't handle as well in the corners as the cobalt... but hey, going fast in a straight line is all well and good for some folks ;)

bspot
03-06-2008, 11:06 PM

I think GM is always 1 dimensional and comes out with "tuner" compacts that can only excel in straight line speed

My cobalt pulled better skidpad numbers than my S4.

That's a car that was 25K new compared to a car that was 70K new.

The Cobalt also out-handled the RSX S, Cooper S, SRT-4... the list goes on. Check out Nurburg times and you'll notice that the Cobalt beats a lot of cars that cost much more than it because it's handling is so good. Last I checked it had the fastest front drive lap time of any car.

lelalong
03-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Shit-balt. Terrible handling. Overall sucks ass.

Graham_A_M
03-06-2008, 11:18 PM
^ :rofl: talking about your Suburu are you?

These cars handle great (especially considering the price), and are generally excellent cars all things considered, I Haven't talked to a single guy that didn't like his/hers.

I honestly dont know what the fuck your talking about:nut:

but yeah it doesn't have some cheesy star speckled hood emblem so its automatically crap eh? LMFAO, you crack me up:thumbsup:

stevo 27
03-06-2008, 11:21 PM
colinxx235 " cause when i crashed mine.. my dad just bought me a 07 SS because they said they would have it ready in under 24 hours (and he thinks the cars are perfectly all right) oh so wrong..."

dude you sound like a pompus jackass

4lti7ude
03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
My friend who works for Enterprise Rent a Car said that the Cobalt is one of the most sent back cars because of mechanical break downs...seems they are badly built.
But cool if you get one anyways.

Mr_ET
03-07-2008, 09:20 AM

My cobalt pulled better skidpad numbers than my S4.

That's a car that was 25K new compared to a car that was 70K new.

The Cobalt also out-handled the RSX S, Cooper S, SRT-4... the list goes on. Check out Nurburg times and you'll notice that the Cobalt beats a lot of cars that cost much more than it because it's handling is so good. Last I checked it had the fastest front drive lap time of any car.

a bone stock crx si could probably outhandle an srt4 and rsx s too as those both suck for handling stock.

One thing though is we cannot sit here an say that a cobalt ss/sc will outhandle a cooper s. Skidpad numbers are like quarter mile times, it's one number that does not reflect how balanced a car is only how good it is at going straight or turning in a big circle.

Give me some data on a cooper s vs cobalt ss/sc in a slalom test.

Also if we want to talk about the nurburgring let's compare apples to apples. The cobalt you are talking about is the 2008 model with 260hp and a turbo not the 2.0L supercharged 205hp model this thread was about.

I will agree with you that the sc model probably had pretty decent handling for the price but again this was achieved at the cost of build quality and reliability so it's never a good tradeoff to me.

bspot
03-07-2008, 01:18 PM
First link I found:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=117762/pageNumber=1

6 car comparison. Yes the Cobalt gets last, but it's numbers sure don't.

Cobalt:

Lap: 1:34.90
1/4: 15.2
Skid: 0.87g
Slalom: 67.5 mph
Stopping: 121 feet

GTI:

Lap: 1:37.15
1/4: 15.3
Skid: 0.83g
Slalom: 65.2 mph
Stopping: 128 feet

Cooper S:

Lap: 1:38.05
1/4: 15.6
Skid: 0.78g
Slalom: 64.9 mph
Stopping: 131 feet

Civic Si:

Lap: 1:36.20
1/4: 15.5
Skid: 0.86g
Slalom: 67.0 mph
Stopping: ???

WRX TR:

Lap: 1:36.45
1/4: 14.3
Skid: 0.82g
Slalom: 64.7 mph

Mazdaspeed 3:

Lap: 1:33.65
1/4: 14.2
skid: 0.88g
Slalom: ???
Stopping: 116 feet

Results:

Lap: Cobalt 2nd to Mazdaspeed 3
1/4: Cobalt 3rd place
Skid: Cobalt close second to Mazdaspeed 3. Cooper was brutal. Last place
Slalom: Cobalt has first, but no number was shown for the 3, so probably second
Stopping: 2nd to the 3, not all cars had numbers.

In summary, the Cooper handles like shit, and I'm not sure why everyone thinks they are so awesome. I test drove one back to back with a Cobalt and that's actually what sold me on the Cobalt. Made it way more fun.

bspot
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lelalong
Shit-balt. Terrible handling. Overall sucks ass.

See above where the better version of your car got owned on the track.

peterparker
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
you can get an ss model with the supercharger in sedan or coupe, and the coupe comes in a ss sc model thats supercharged hence the SC

Mr_ET
03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
First link I found:

Cobalt:

Lap: 1:34.90
1/4: 15.2
Skid: 0.87g
Slalom: 67.5 mph
Stopping: 121 feet

GTI:

Lap: 1:37.15
1/4: 15.3
Skid: 0.83g
Slalom: 65.2 mph
Stopping: 128 feet

Cooper S:

Lap: 1:38.05
1/4: 15.6
Skid: 0.78g
Slalom: 64.9 mph
Stopping: 131 feet

Civic Si:

Lap: 1:36.20
1/4: 15.5
Skid: 0.86g
Slalom: 67.0 mph

WRX TR:

Lap: 1:36.45
1/4: 14.3
Skid: 0.82g
Slalom: 64.7 mph

Mazdaspeed 3:

Lap: 1:33.65
1/4: 14.2
skid: 0.88g
Slalom: ???
Stopping: 116 feet

Results:

Lap: Cobalt 2nd to Mazdaspeed 3
1/4: Cobalt 3rd place
Skid: Cobalt close second to Mazdaspeed 3. Cooper was brutal. Last place
Slalom: Cobalt has first, but no number was shown for the 3, so probably second
Stopping: 2nd to the 3, not all cars had numbers.

In summary, the Cooper handles like shit, and I'm not sure why everyone thinks they are so awesome. I test drove one back to back with a Cobalt and that's actually what sold me on the Cobalt. Made it way more fun.

so your source is quoting a test where the cobalt came out last and a section that clearly mentions the cooper s was equipped with the shitty base tires?

if we want to compare the sport model of gm's cobalt we want to do the same with the cooper s and that one was not equiped with the sport package and summer tires like the cobalt was...

Granted overall cost is quite a bit more for the MINI but that is not what we are debating here.

here is what the cooper s would have looked like with a summer tires

Acceleration
0-30 mph : 2.9 sec.
0-60 mph : 7.4 sec.
30-50 mph : 2.6 sec.
50-70 mph : 3.9 sec.
Quarter Mile Time @ Speed : 15.4 sec. @ 90.4 mph
Handling
Lateral Grip (200ft skidpad) : 0.87g
Slalom Speed (700ft slalom) : 68.1 mph
Braking
60-0 stopping distance : 123 ft

bspot
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Fine, here's motor trends numbers for the SS, it still wins :rolleyes:

Those edmunds numbers are all really slow, but it was a fair comparison because the same shitty driver tested all of the cars.

The Cobalt costs way less than the most bare bones mini, and comes standard with good tires.

So complete bare bones SS still beats a loaded mini which costs probably near $10G more. (I got my loaded SS for just over $24K, mini's were easily in the mid 30's).

Cobalt SS
0-60 mph: 6.0s
1/4 mile, sec @ MPH: 14.5 @ 98.2
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft: 115
200 ft skidpad, avg G: 0.89
600 ft slalom, mph: 69.0

403Gemini
03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
First link I found:

I've always noticed that cobalt in magazine reviews usually gets last or second last but its always the same thing that puts it there: The wing, and the lower quality interior. Its like saying the viper sucks because the interior is bland... :dunno:

Unfortunately, there's still a lot of the worst of GM in the Cobalt SS Supercharged. This short-coupled coupe offers the least usable passenger package in the group, and its interior materials (aside from the Recaro seats) are far below the quality level set by the other contenders. The double-throwdown, combat-style rear wing just shows you that a styling cliché can't disguise a weak people package. Add it all up and despite the Chevy's encouraging performance, it lacks the refinement and utility necessary to compete here.

But for performance for dollar, you cant really beat it.

Mr_ET
03-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Fine, here's motor trends numbers for the SS, it still wins :rolleyes:

Those edmunds numbers are all really slow, but it was a fair comparison because the same shitty driver tested all of the cars.

The Cobalt costs way less than the most bare bones mini, and comes standard with good tires.

So complete bare bones SS still beats a loaded mini which costs probably near $10G more. (I got my loaded SS for just over $24K, mini's were easily in the mid 30's).

Cobalt SS
0-60 mph: 6.0s
1/4 mile, sec @ MPH: 14.5 @ 98.2
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft: 115
200 ft skidpad, avg G: 0.89
600 ft slalom, mph: 69.0

Well since you can always find better numbers here or there and you are heavily biased, I'm just not gonna win here so I'm out.

Getting back to the OP lol, if he hasn't purchased a car 2-3 years ago stay away from the cobalt man. Though it has proven to be quick, it's still mostly a really crappy plateform with good parts swapped in.

bspot
03-08-2008, 04:18 AM

Well since you can always find better numbers here or there and you.

How am I biased? I picked a test where they were tested several different ways, back to back, and the Cobalt beat the Mini on ALL of them.

Then you pull out some numbers from a better driver and an optional wheel and tire package. I find you numbers with a good driver for the Cobalt, and now I'm biased?

You are right, I will always be able to find better numbers than you, BECAUSE THE CAR PERFORMS BETTER, is it that hard to just admit you were wrong?

There are lots of reasons people would pick a Mini over a Cobalt, and that's fine, I almost did, but it's not performance.

Remember here, I don't own that car anymore. I have no vested interests in Cobalts. I've driven both cars though, have you?

403Gemini
03-08-2008, 12:56 PM

How am I biased? I picked a test where they were tested several different ways, back to back, and the Cobalt beat the Mini on ALL of them.

Then you pull out some numbers from a better driver and an optional wheel and tire package. I find you numbers with a good driver for the Cobalt, and now I'm biased?

You are right, I will always be able to find better numbers than you, BECAUSE THE CAR PERFORMS BETTER, is it that hard to just admit you were wrong?

There are lots of reasons people would pick a Mini over a Cobalt, and that's fine, I almost did, but it's not performance.

Remember here, I don't own that car anymore. I have no vested interests in Cobalts. I've driven both cars though, have you?

Like the head lights :drool: im sorry I LOVE the headlights on a mini. Also the interior is pretty damn sexy as well hah.

arian_ma
03-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Kids kids...you buy your Cobalt, and he'll buy his Mini. Why are you guys trying to ague with door knobs?

colinxx235
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27
colinxx235 " cause when i crashed mine.. my dad just bought me a 07 SS because they said they would have it ready in under 24 hours (and he thinks the cars are perfectly all right) oh so wrong..."

dude you sound like a pompus jackass

Oh really, and what exaclty gives off that vibe??

p.s. its pompous, if your gonna be a prick, at least learn how to spell properly?? just a little hint..

Mr_ET
03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't want a mini or cobalt lol.

My mom owns a 2008 turbo cooper s and I think overall it sucks.

I guess I have just read so many articles saying the cooper s is like a go kart and no one ever talking about a Cobalt that notion stuck.

I was also saying you were biased because you ultimatly chose the cobalt so you were going to defend it a bit harder vs any other car weather it was a mini or not.

In the end you were right I was wrong. The cobalt is faster and still sucks :)

bspot
03-13-2008, 01:30 AM
cobalt is faster and still sucks :)

Hence getting last place in that magazine test despite really good numbers... lol