PDA

View Full Version : warrenty on dlp/ home theatre equip?

aznexec
09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Thoughts on paying the extra for extended warrenty on a dlp tv?

If you spend ~2500 on a dlp tv what r your thoughts on getting an extended warrenty..has anyone ever used extended warrenty for their TV from where they bought it?

thoughts,
Thanks,

jdmakkord
09-09-2005, 06:08 PM
After seeing all of the dlp's come back in the first 4-5 months, I would definately get it.

hedge
09-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I didn't take it when I bought my TV, but I never buy warranties. Most warranties by the box stores are a scam.

Digital home canada did an interesting article on it.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110&Itemid=34

calgary350z
09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
scam my ass, you should come to my store and see how much product we have that is defective or needing repair every week. It would blow your mind!

JTI
09-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Well, funny there is this thread. I bought a DLP from Visions last year. The salesman "tricked" me into buying the extended warranty. He conviently doesn't work there anymore. I never buy that shit, because I don't believe in insurance (world's biggest legal scam, but that's another story). Anyways... he told me it was a good idea to buy the warranty because the lamps on DLP's go eventually. So if I buy the 5 year warranty, that pretty much gaurantees that I will get at least one lamp replacement, which cost $300. And the warranty was $350. So I bought it. Well, this week my lamp goes dead. I call Visions and they basically told me tough shit. Their extended warranty does not cover DLP lamps. Of course I was livid, because that was the only reason for me spending $350 to buy their stupid warranty. So to answer your question... NO!! Don't buy that stupid fuckin scam warranty. Samsung comes with a 1 year warranty that covers lamps. If it goes after the warranty, you can buy a new lamp on ebay for $100.

I frickin HATE VISION and will never spend another dime there for the rest of my life.

Weapon_R
09-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Extended warranty is great...for the salesman.

jdmakkord
09-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by calgary350z
scam my ass, you should come to my store and see how much product we have that is defective or needing repair every week. It would blow your mind!

Remember the good ol LG DLP? Or the day old sony lcd projo's? Or the Toshiba rear projections? Haha, all of them within a month.

kaput
09-10-2005, 09:28 AM

kenny
09-10-2005, 12:34 PM
For all those that doubt warranty coverage claims. Why not take the brochure the sales person gives you and call the number? Pretend you are a customer that has already purchased the TV and just say your bulb has burnt out (or any other problem) and see how they handle it.

If they say something that contradicts what the sales person has told you, then you've got a problem and you should probably walk away from the sale at that point.

In every industry there are people who will do anything to make a sale, but dont label everybody like that. There is a reason the "extended warranty" from visions is cheap. Do your research.

aznexec
09-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by hung_lo
Well, funny there is this thread. I bought a DLP from Visions last year. The salesman "tricked" me into buying the extended warranty. He conviently doesn't work there anymore. I never buy that shit, because I don't believe in insurance (world's biggest legal scam, but that's another story). Anyways... he told me it was a good idea to buy the warranty because the lamps on DLP's go eventually. So if I buy the 5 year warranty, that pretty much gaurantees that I will get at least one lamp replacement, which cost $300. And the warranty was $350. So I bought it. Well, this week my lamp goes dead. I call Visions and they basically told me tough shit. Their extended warranty does not cover DLP lamps. Of course I was livid, because that was the only reason for me spending $350 to buy their stupid warranty. So to answer your question... NO!! Don't buy that stupid fuckin scam warranty. Samsung comes with a 1 year warranty that covers lamps. If it goes after the warranty, you can buy a new lamp on ebay for $100.

I frickin HATE VISION and will never spend another dime there for the rest of my life.

Yeah, that's what visions told me too. if you get the warrenty, and never use it..you will money back (though it comes in a store credit of 375$ for 5yrs)..that is not too bad... that way you can fix your lamp and get the credit later?:dunno:

I don't think any other stores offer the money back warrenty...?