PDA

View Full Version : oil supply for turbo

Mr2boy
09-09-2005, 10:01 PM
I am putting a ct26 on my 4agze and I have a few questions regarding the oil supply.

On a 3sgte I have in the backyard, I notice that there is a sandwich plate between the oil filter and block, the oil goes from there and goes to a oil cooler then to the turbo and then obviously to the pan. Now on my mr2, I also have a sandwich plate between the filter and the block, it also goes to a oil cooler, but it then goes straight to the pan. Is there enough oil pressure going into the oil cooler to go to the turbo, and if there is, does that mean there is a big drop in oil pressure after the oil cooler so that normally it wont splash into the pan. Or is there enough pressure after the oil cooler to go to the turbo, so it could receive cooled oil. I am thinking of using this supply because the oil pressure sensor that is on the block(that most people "T" off of for oil supply) is behind the bracket holding on the alternator. In the first gen mr2 it looks like the alt is a pain in the ass to remove while the engine is still in the vehicle, so i was trying to avoid it.

Anyways I was hoping for a little help as this is one of the last major things on my turbo install, and i want to drive it before winter to see if it works.

Thanks

jvillain
09-10-2005, 01:31 AM
I am not saying you are wrong because I have never looked at one. But I am having a tough time beleiving that the output from the oil cooler dumps straight into the oil pan. I have 2 reasons for saying that.

First one of the big jobs of the oil pan is to help cool the oil. It wouldn't make sense to cool the oil and then drop it strait into the oil pan.

More importantly is the way the lubrication sytem is designed to work. The idea is like taking a plasic bag and putting some pin holes in it and then shoving a garder hose in the opening and sealing it around the hose. As long as the hose flows more water than the pin holes can you have preasure. Once you have enough opening that you can flow more out than is coming in you don't have preasure.

On an engine the oil pump can move a lot of oil. Where it is allowed to come out of is small holes in the crank covered by bearings, small holes in the cam jounals etc. None of these will allow much oil through. Because of that you maintaine oil preasure. If some thing goes wrong with this system like spinning a bearing which opens up a large hole the first sign is ussually that you have no oil preasure.

Once oil has made it through the small holes it should then return by the shortest possible route to the oil pan. Now if you were to allow the oil in the main gallery to just freely flow through the oil cooler and into the pan you would have 0 preasure. The one way around that would be to put some kind of preasure control valve there.

But again that doesn't make sense because the thing you screw the oil filter onto is actually a preasure bypass vale. It's purpose in life is that if the filter gets clogged in any way it dumps the oil from the pump straight into the main gallery. Better to be shoving dirty oil through the engine than none at all.

So the concept of the oil cooler just dumpimg straigh to the pan isn't working for me. If you look here

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/volume1/lubrication_system.htm

You will see a flow diagram for the 3sgte. If you can find a copy of the manual for the 4agze you will be able to tell for sure.

I know with the 5sfe they end up tapping the head or the block for oil. And some thing in the back of my mind is telling me that is what they do with the 4agze as well.

BTW sounds like a cool project. Can't wait till you have it rolling.

Redlyne_mr2
09-10-2005, 02:21 AM
Ahh im trying to remember how it goes...I think hes got it a bit backways...starts at the oil pan ..then to the cooler and turbo.