PDA

View Full Version : help: Oil light!!

topher91
09-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Hey guys,

Need some help here. Just recently my Oil light started going on and off. It would sometimes stay steadily on while idle then while I accelerate it would fade on and off then when I go WOT, it will shut off?

I'm thinking I may be losing oil pressure?? but I'm not too sure. I also have recently changed the oil during the time the oil light kept going on and off so it is topped off and everything.

What else would cause the oil light to do this??

PLEASE HELP!! I NEED YOUR INPUT!! I don't want my car to break!!

Thanks,

Chris

Boost Infested
09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
might just be the oil sending unit..

dymz999
09-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Might be, might not, could be the motor is officially screwd. For the record by the time that light comes on in the dash it pretty much means your screwd. The most important gauge you can have is an oil pressure gauge for nissan engines. the dummy gauges are just retarded. i mean the temp gauges show "cold", "normal" and "F^cked".

I would suggest buying an oil pressure gauge, it is your friend. Also did you check your ecu for codes? It would tell you if the sending unit is fried most likely.

topher91
09-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Well since I'm still pretty new to Nissans, how do I check for codes?

Hopefully its just the sending unit. If it was "officiall screwed" wouldn't the Light stay on all the time??

Chris

dymz999
09-10-2005, 09:04 PM
take the kick panel off of the passenger side of the car. This is in the inside of the car just below the dash. It is just a plastic panel on the side of the car. once removed you'll find the ecu.

Look on the ecu for a small circular opening that has a white looking screw on it. If you rotate this all the way to the right for a couple seconds then back to the left there should be a small LED light that will blink. It will blink a certain number of times long and then short. Try doing this and post up what it tells you. For instant if you get 5 long blinks and 5 short blinks aka this is code 55. Please try this.

If you need to install an oil pressure gauge your best bet is to buy a sandwhich adapter plate that goes between the oil filter and the oil filter plate on the engine.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-19-2005, 10:20 AM
fix this yet?

could be your oil pick up, remove the oil strainer. There should be a gasket on the top of the strainer, usually 2 types. Full metal gasket or a rubber o ring. Pick one up from Kam at sunridge nissan (he has a jdm parts CD) and he should be able to get you the gasket you need.

Clean the strainer and install the oilpickup and this should get rid of your problem.

BokCh0y
09-19-2005, 10:42 AM
i had same issue where the oil light just randomly turned on. sometimes i would at a light and just idling or something and it would flash then go out. i checked it out but the oil was full, so i couldn't figure it out. took it to the dealership for an oil change and told them what was happening. they checked things out and came back and told me the oil sending unit was leaking. had it replaced and the problem went away.

topher91
09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys,

I haven't had a chance to check everything yet but the light hasn't come back on since I last posted.

I still have to check for codes.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll update after I get a day off here!!

Chris

dymz999
09-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Buy an aftermarket gauge though, the stock stuff is really sad. doesn't say much of anything. that way you can monitor the engine if and when it does ever become a problem.

topher91
09-21-2005, 11:50 AM
OK

I checked for error codes and nothing came up. It didn't blink or anything. So is this good or bad?

This is what I was turning (pls open pic)

Can anyone translate what it says on the ECU??

Thanks,

Chris

topher91
09-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Now here is a pic of what the unit looks like. Can anyone confirm for me this is an ECU for an SR20 or compatible with my SR20?

jdmsource
09-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by topher91
Now here is a pic of what the unit looks like. Can anyone confirm for me this is an ECU for an SR20 or compatible with my SR20?

E5 is from a 94-96 180sx black top, but it is compatable with red top s13 aswell.

topher91
09-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by jdmsource

E5 is from a 94-96 180sx black top, but it is compatable with red top s13 aswell.

That's great to know. I do have a blacktop sr20 so it all matches up!

Thanks

Chris